1997-1999 Cadillac Devilles

Good? Bad? Trouble prone - stay away from them? Found a really nice looking Black with Black leather '99 Concours with about 52K... waiting for an e-mail on the price. Edmunds says all the techno-gizmos can be a problem, however 6 owner responses report no gizmo problems and most have over 60K. Is the Northstar 4.6L V8 a good engine? Coolant problems? I know NS V8s are known to consume oil or have oil leaks... is this a big concern?

Car looks similar to this one:

Posted Image

Someone is very interested in buying my Malibu... if I can find a good replacement vehicle that my wife deems "acceptable" and affordable, then I might get rid of the 'bu. If the AURA was available now, I'd check the lease price on an XE or XR model - but not sure how long this buyer will wait.

Anyway, as usual any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I don't have much to say, other that they're very plush vehicles to ride in. I guess the same thing that applies to all high-end 90s GM vehicles also applies to them: make sure you find one that's been well taken care of. They can be very expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and a car that was neglected or abused will be a nightmare for you. If it was owned by an elderly person who used it occasionally for a night on the town, go for it.

I don't have much to say, other that they're very plush vehicles to ride in. I guess the same thing that applies to all high-end 90s GM vehicles also applies to them: make sure you find one that's been well taken care of. They can be very expensive to fix when something goes wrong, and a car that was neglected or abused will be a nightmare for you. If it was owned by an elderly person who used it occasionally for a night on the town, go for it.

just make sure to do a coolent change on it if it's around 60k miles or greater....

From all I've heard, the oil drip problems with the Northstar/Aurora V8s were solved for the '97 model year and beyond. As with all cars like, this best to find a lower-mileage unit that's been pampered and well-maintained.

In have a love hate relationship with the Northstar... it's a

powerful and very sophisticated motor but it does have a

few problems that are aggravating. Outside of the costly

repairs linked to its FWD, transverse mounted DOHC V8 &

super complex electronics. Honestly I have no malice for

these cars, driven enough of them and if you're in love

with one then go for it.

FWD is just not for me but I almost bought a 1996 SDV

before the Q45 came along. I had some photos posted of

it, basically 90% identical under the skin.

One thing of note: of all the cool luxury features Caddy

puts into their late 1990s cars the one I miss the most is

the DIC. The Q45 could definately use it. Nothing like

being able to find out the slightest detail about the

operation/condition of you car/fluid levels & life etc.

In have a love hate relationship with the Northstar... it's a

powerful and very sophisticated motor but it does have a

few problems that are aggravating. Outside of the costly

repairs linked to its FWD, transverse mounted DOHC V8 &

super complex electronics.

That is super funny you say that because I can change all my coil packs for $75.00 and about 15 minutes under the hood, do my plugs and wires in under an hour. A good 80-90% of what the average person would want to mess with is within easy reach - in spite of its "FWD, transverse" layout. Yeah, I think you have to drop part of the engine cradle to get to the transmission, but who the hell does that in their driveway to a post-70s car? As far as electronics, hardly "super complex" (you must be thinking of a Benz or Bimmer), and the control modules you would have to buy are not that expensive, at least no more than your typical modern car.

Northstars are designed to be pushed and used to their capabilities, but sensibly. Don't beat on them, rev them up smoothly. Don't be afraid to push the redline, but don't do lame-ass stuff like eight neutral drops in a row either. As always, you take care of it and it takes care of you.

BTW, you knew I'd say something about this.

One thing of note: of all the cool luxury features Caddy

puts into their late 1990s cars the one I miss the most is

the DIC. The Q45 could definately use it. Nothing like

being able to find out the slightest detail about the

operation/condition of you car/fluid levels & life etc.

Hmm... Even the Cobalt has a DIC, sans compass.

On a display contained within the Tachometer, I can get:

- Outside temp

- Odometer reading

- Two separate trip odometers

- Average Speed

- Average Fuel Economy

- Oil Life

- Coolant Temp

- I think one more thing I'm forgetting about.

The Deville will likely have all this and more.

- I think one more thing I'm forgetting about.

Estimated range left on the tank :AH-HA_wink:

From all I've heard, the oil drip problems with the Northstar/Aurora V8s were solved for the '97 model year and beyond. As with all cars like, this best to find a lower-mileage unit that's been pampered and well-maintained.

Actually, not an oil drip, more of a general oil consumption issue...and it plagued the 97-99s when the Northstar was altered slightly from its first-gen 1993-1996 iteration.

Actually, not an oil drip, more of a general oil consumption issue...and it plagued the 97-99s when the Northstar was altered slightly from its first-gen 1993-1996 iteration.

There was an oil drip issue, namely that it would accumulate on the belly of the oilpan. This was in addition to the oil consumption.