Jump to content
Create New...

July Car Spotting Thread


Recommended Posts

Saw a rat-rod style (faded blue paint w/ patina and rust, lowered, big red steel wheels) '62 Ford full size station wagon today...the lack of woodgrain told me it wasn't a Country Squire, probably a lower trim level like a Country Sedan or Ranch Wagon. 

Saw a gorgeous brown w/ tan interior C8 Corvette convertible...love that color..

Saw a clean gold w/ black top '70 Malibu 2dr.  

Saw a white '75-77 Camaro w/ black hood stripe, black rear spoiler in decent, restorable condition.

Saw a white late 70s Plymouth Volare Road Runner coupe in white w/ a black rear spoiler.. solid condition.

Saw a clean slightly modified white '87-93 Mustang GT for sale.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got back from a run to Costco and was surprised to see at the Bank of America in rat rod fashion running a very cool Chevy and I found what I think was the year or general era. late 1930's Chevy like this one that I found online.

Some times I really wish my eyes could also be a camera to snap a picture and store it to share. Hopefully I will see it again and not be in crazy holiday traffic.

image.png

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw a bright yellow Ferrari F8 Tributo and bright yellow Corvette C8 about a mile apart today.  Saw a clean red ‘66 Mustang convertible in a parking lot, top down.  Saw a new white Shelby GT500 alone in an empty parking lot.  Saw a gorgeous red ‘70 Mustang Mach 1 at an intersection, healthy rumble as it drove away…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Seen yesterday ... I thought I was dreaming!

KIMG1666.thumb.JPG.93377bb42075510094a4a4b532c92c75.JPG

This made me miss my '84 Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) coupe all the more.  It may not have been as reliable as my more recent cars since it had the old school carbureted V6, but it was probably the most comfortable and possibly even the car I've liked the most.

KIMG1668-inked.thumb.jpg.ed463d1f53c9c497f3bb53c31927b3fe.jpg

They've called it "America's Sweetheart" and said it "sold like hotcakes" in articles about the Cutlass when it was a top seller.

KIMG1670-inked.thumb.jpg.ee4daa40bc0a90814377c786a10d50a2.jpg

It's either an '85 or '86, per the grille and CMSL.  I'd know an '84 and it wasn't an '87 with the updated front headlights.

KIMG1672.thumb.JPG.7000d2c87df28c415b1919c12d572c8c.JPG

They decked it out nicely on the outside with (non body color ... even better) rally wheels and the padded landau vinyl roof, but the interior had manual crank windows, a strip speedometer, and the basic cloth bench seat with an armrest.

It had the Olds 5.0 (307 c.i.) V8 and, in that span of years and in this type of car, it didn't get any better than that.  That's an heirloom engine.

Sightings like this seem to make a day a little better.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Seen yesterday ... I thought I was dreaming!

KIMG1666.thumb.JPG.93377bb42075510094a4a4b532c92c75.JPG

This made me miss my '84 Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) coupe all the more.  It may not have been as reliable as my more recent cars since it had the old school carbureted V6, but it was probably the most comfortable and possibly even the car I've liked the most.

KIMG1668-inked.thumb.jpg.ed463d1f53c9c497f3bb53c31927b3fe.jpg

They've called it "America's Sweetheart" and said it "sold like hotcakes" in articles about the Cutlass when it was a top seller.

KIMG1670-inked.thumb.jpg.ee4daa40bc0a90814377c786a10d50a2.jpg

It's either an '85 or '86, per the grille and CMSL.  I'd know an '84 and it wasn't an '87 with the updated front headlights.

KIMG1672.thumb.JPG.7000d2c87df28c415b1919c12d572c8c.JPG

They decked it out nicely on the outside with (non body color ... even better) rally wheels and the padded landau vinyl roof, but the interior had manual crank windows, a strip speedometer, and the basic cloth bench seat with an armrest.

It had the Olds 5.0 (307 c.i.) V8 and, in that span of years and in this type of car, it didn't get any better than that.  That's an heirloom engine.

Sightings like this seem to make a day a little better.

That is an awesome car. Hope a few survive to get electrified and keep running. Love the body style.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, David said:

That is an awesome car. Hope a few survive to get electrified and keep running. Love the body style.

The body style is what made them sell.  I think that, once people had owned one or two, the craze faded and the market shifted.  And it also shifted away from overly American "Brougham" interiors.

I'd love to find one if I wanted to get a second car.  I would be happy to just pull off the early days CCC apparatus and see if a "one squirter" TBI unit could be fitted on top of the engine instead of a carburetor.  But early CCC was quirky.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The body style is what made them sell.  I think that, once people had owned one or two, the craze faded and the market shifted.  And it also shifted away from overly American "Brougham" interiors.

I'd love to find one if I wanted to get a second car.  I would be happy to just pull off the early days CCC apparatus and see if a "one squirter" TBI unit could be fitted on top of the engine instead of a carburetor.  But early CCC was quirky.

Always a good candidate for a connect and cruise option. Modern Powertrain.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seen over Fourth of July weekend.

KIMG1664.thumb.JPG.50f744f11cb739ad05f92884f98ba1b8.JPG

I don't know my FoMoCo products as well as GM ones, but I guessed right ... it was a 1962.  The owner, who ducked out of the way so I could take the photo, confirmed that.

Impressive condition.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw some nice cars on July 8th ...

KIMG1695.thumb.JPG.30aba60fad9700c0df2239e60fdb75f1.JPG

This Chrysler 300 looks great in black, though I don't like dark colors for cars.  It just plain works for the 300.

KIMG1696-inked.thumb.jpg.983df2c5fa3483751e0acadb60698268.jpg

I was able to see the nicely detailed dashboard (I've rented a 300 before and reviewed it).  I am amazed how Chrysler was able to take the same platform and powertrain and create 2 amazing cars (the Charger and the 300) on it, while having markedly different personalities.  Maybe they are like a set of fraternal twins.

These 2 cars made me notice Chrysler again, given that the brand had been a write-off for me for many years.

I will miss their being available as brand new purchase options.

- - - - -

Another brand that I have now liked for quite a while is Volvo.

KIMG1699.thumb.JPG.74e801baef8bedf207194626fa8d2bd2.JPG

This is a fine looking sport sedan.

Volvo worked effectively to shed it's dowdy tree hugger image and go upmarket.   This wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it's the sort of car I like.

So, in shedding this image, they chucked it right at Subaru! 

Now, with some new models I've seen, Subaru is trying to shed their stereotyping.  They're better off doing that. 

- - - - -

010_toob_9780385536714_art_r1_wide-2c24d

1. Berkeley student Patty Hearst gone wrong

240_yellow.jpg

2. Volvo as the car of choice for frumpy counterculture types

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLeAR8IhHvNpM-IQ7rC-9

3. Granola at hand in one's car

1 + 2 + 3 = things from the '70s people probably want to forget

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Saw some nice cars on July 8th ...

KIMG1695.thumb.JPG.30aba60fad9700c0df2239e60fdb75f1.JPG

This Chrysler 300 looks great in black, though I don't like dark colors for cars.  It just plain works for the 300.

KIMG1696-inked.thumb.jpg.983df2c5fa3483751e0acadb60698268.jpg

I was able to see the nicely detailed dashboard (I've rented a 300 before and reviewed it).  I am amazed how Chrysler was able to take the same platform and powertrain and create 2 amazing cars (the Charger and the 300) on it, while having markedly different personalities.  Maybe they are like a set of fraternal twins.

These 2 cars made me notice Chrysler again, given that the brand had been a write-off for me for many years.

I will miss their being available as brand new purchase options.

- - - - -

Another brand that I have now liked for quite a while is Volvo.

KIMG1699.thumb.JPG.74e801baef8bedf207194626fa8d2bd2.JPG

This is a fine looking sport sedan.

Volvo worked effectively to shed it's dowdy tree hugger image and go upmarket.   This wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it's the sort of car I like.

So, in shedding this image, they chucked it right at Subaru! 

Now, with some new models I've seen, Subaru is trying to shed their stereotyping.  They're better off doing that. 

- - - - -

010_toob_9780385536714_art_r1_wide-2c24d

1. Berkeley student Patty Hearst gone wrong

240_yellow.jpg

2. Volvo as the car of choice for frumpy counterculture types

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLeAR8IhHvNpM-IQ7rC-9

3. Granola at hand in one's car

1 + 2 + 3 = things from the '70s people probably want to forget

What No disco Dancing or Disco Balls? :P 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, David said:

What No disco Dancing or Disco Balls? :P 

The ghettoish 2006 Dodge Magnum wagon calls for the disco balls.  

Maybe even my beloved last-gen M.C.  Man, I've seen some rough folks driving it.

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The ghettoish 2006 Dodge Magnum wagon calls for the disco balls.  

Hold up now! I take slight issue with that.

 

My old '06 Magnum (with no disco ball and nothing "ghettoish" about it))...

 

image.thumb.jpeg.74cf48f7473fe5d44605e0501f863ba3.jpeg

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Hold up now! I take slight issue with that.

My old '06 Magnum (with no disco ball and nothing "ghettoish" about it))...

image.thumb.jpeg.74cf48f7473fe5d44605e0501f863ba3.jpeg

Ok, some of its drivers.  At least a lot of the ones I've seen, and that's what I've also seen with that first rendition of Charger and 300.

- - - - -

What was probably my favorite car was a hit with gang bangers ... I even got a nod from a Hispanic guy in a Raiders jacket pulling up alongside me on the freeway in an identical one 

511872291_1984CutlassSupremeBrougham.thumb.jpg.5ae438b0f0ddd42d466ae11246a3dbda.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, one car I had wanted to buy, but didn't, had/has its share of edgy owners who I wouldn't be breaking bread with ...

2006_chevrolet_monte-carlo_coupe_ls_fq_o

... but I'd still buy one.

- - - - -

It's kind of unnerving when sketchy types are looking at your car, and you, for a little too long.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Just giving you a little s*** lol. I’ve seen some around here that are just beyond the pale in their outlandishness. 

PNW has their fair share of gang bang wanna bee's, Ricer Bangers and just about all kinds of gang bang ethnicity peeps driving trashed versions of those cars. Yes, very rare do you find them in nice condition and when you do you can admire them for the niche they played and filled in the auto industry. 

A shame more are not taken care of, but then we all know how expensive autos these days are.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, David said:

PNW has their fair share of gang bang wanna bee's, Ricer Bangers and just about all kinds of gang bang ethnicity peeps driving trashed versions of those cars. Yes, very rare do you find them in nice condition and when you do you can admire them for the niche they played and filled in the auto industry. 

A shame more are not taken care of, but then we all know how expensive autos these days are.

Agreed. A lot of junk ones out there these days. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did my weekly shopping run, saw a brand new R1T Rivian Pickup, really liking the tweener size, bigger than a mid and not a large. Sharp looking truck. Also saw an old 1994 to 1996 era I believe Buick Roadmaster Station wagon, white with fake wood grain in amazing shape, being driven by a senior who was pulling into Panera Bread company.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ran to Business Costco and so wanted to take a picture, but the owner was sitting in the auto. Saw my first BMW iX and I have to say, they are cheap looking, very plastic front end and that huge plastic molded kiddy grill needs to go. Pathetic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this today in a supermarket parking lot, parked way out.  What a feast for the eyes.

KIMG1779.thumb.JPG.04f369040ff702f628a26070911320ac.JPG

I think I'm dreaming.  The last of the 500 cubic inchers, perhaps. 

KIMG1784-inked.thumb.jpg.997b7f0becda95ceb8dd9202663ab6c2.jpg

You could have taken MANY high school friends to the drive-in free of charge in a trunk like this if your parents lent you their Eldorado!  There's my sled beyond, and slightly to the left.

KIMG1789.thumb.JPG.e9b882548bb7648bb904931d79308d81.JPG

A Cadillac dash shared with its siblings.  And, with the placement of that bag, a flat floor due to FWD.  I suppose it is strange to take photos of the interiors of random people's cars.

KIMG1791.thumb.JPG.ee46c92f8cbe70d347d954199176690b.JPG

My sled as viewed through the hood ornament and finned front fender (say that 3 times, real fast) of this Eldorado.

KIMG1792.thumb.JPG.98a47a8203f35dd67356775b74742fea.JPG

I don't recall if I've seen Eldorado inscribed on other Eldorados, but this was a Biarritz.

KIMG1793.thumb.JPG.75a2438cd68cf6ee7301ff601f64b3eb.JPG

These look like 50/50 seats with individual armrests.  Cadillac used this color (chamois, vanilla, I don't know what they called it) that was not seen in other GM divisions which used a uniform and darker tan interior.  Some family friends had this color in the first downsized Coupe De Ville to use the 425 c.i. V8.

KIMG1795.thumb.JPG.05cc047f69305e3342cbf0414930a97e.JPG

I can do without the wide whitewalls.  The thin whitewalls seen on some Lincoln products might have worked better.  I believe a standard whitewall came with the car.  I definitely like the opera windows.  I prefer a vinyl roof that is not padded.

KIMG1800.thumb.JPG.bdd15ba294dab40f0d6170ab48527f8f.JPG

I'm walking back to my car at this point, but this is the first view I got of it as I was about to get into my car to leave.  I'm glad I didn't leave.

What a presence.  I also like the canting and character lines on the belt line near the opera window.

This is somewhere between 1975 and 1978.  I'm guessing it's a '77 or a '78.  If so, the 500 c.i. V8 may have been gone and this vehicle would have been powered by a 425 c.i. V8 by then..  

- - - - -

With 8 photos (actually more), I obviously liked this car.  While it didn't make it day, it helped make it better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seen on July 20 - this appliance needs to breathe, so let it breathe .... can't believe no one in the design department got yelled at for such ugly crap

KIMG1742.thumb.JPG.6baa52bb335ca4a9618cafd8205ca7f3.JPG

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seen on July 21 - this was the sportier model of the first FWD Grand Prix, which had the air intake slots, the headlamps within those narrow horizontal slots, and the "Smokey and the Bandit" pinch in the front fascia.  The base models had a more austere and even "less is more" front end ... at least in my opinion.  This is somewhere between 1988 and 1994 (+/-).  That gas cap door has seen better days.

KIMG1743.thumb.JPG.63de6b8122fb672e46410c5e1e4476f9.JPG

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^   

Id put my money on it being a 1949 Ford. 

49 Ford 4 Door | Ford, Ford shoebox, Classic cars

1949 FORD CUSTOM 4 DOOR SEDAN

File:1949 Ford custom 300 pic3.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Reminds me of something a la Sonny Corleone by the toll booths for one of the tunnels in NYC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search