'07 Lexus IS Loses VDIM

Bimmer325

'07 Lexus IS Gains VDIM-Defeat Button

Posted Image

Since it's introduction as an '06 model, the one major downfall of Lexus' second-generation IS has been it's VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management) system, or more specifically, a means by which to turn it off. As Edmunds stated it, "The biggest downer is the inability to disarm the VDIM system, which mutes the sedan's performance long before the limits of its chassis and tires are reached."

For '07 (just one year into the second-gen IS' model run), Lexus has adressed this issue with the addition of a VSC/VDIM-defeat button, along with other minor changes.

--------------------

The biggest news is the addition of a VSC/VDIM defeat button. Even better is that this change was the direct result of feedback from enthusiasts and press reviewers.

Two items only available in packages in 2006 are now available as a standalone options: Aluminum Sport Pedals and HID/AFS. Two new standard features are an illuminated fuel/trunk opener and an additional fog lamp indicator.

The 2007 IS will sport a new shark-fin antenna. Apparently, there was a minefield of patented shark-fin designs that needed to be navigated before this could be produced, but it's a welcome change.

Three colors are dropped/changed from the 2006 lineup:

Crystal White is replaced by Starfire Pearl (077)

Black Onyx is replaced by Obsidian (212)

Blue Onyx is replaced by Black Sappire (8U0)

The Obsidian black is supposed to be the blackest black Lexus has ever produced and will be shared with the GS and LS. Supposedly a mirror-black finish, expect it to look astonishing - when clean.

Finally, we see a new, less expensive sport package which does NOT replace the ST package, the X-Package (XE):

18" Five-spoke Super Chrome Finish Wheel with summer tires (unique design unavailable otherwise, though previously available as a JDM accessory option, see image)

Front Air Dam

Sport Tuned Suspension

Aluminum Sport Pedals

Illuminated Scuff Plates (not previously included in ST package)

courtesy my.IS

The IS was tuned with VDIM in mind, which is said to predict instability and maintain balance of the vehicle. Or, in other words, Lexus used electronics to compensate for chassis shortcomings, and apparently, the IS is rather skittish with the system turned off.

Still, an "off" button would be welcome on a track or dyno.

Good move I guess for those who auto-x their ISes and such.

The Obsidian black is supposed to be the blackest black Lexus has ever produced and will be shared with the GS and LS. Supposedly a mirror-black finish, expect it to look astonishing - when clean.

Maybe I'm slow to pick up on this but how do you make a blacker black? Isn't a lighter black a dark grey? :huh:

Where's the availability of a REAL manual transmission (as in clutch pedal required) for the big engine? All the enthusiasts complained about that too?

Fix the trans availability and tweak the spooky handling and the magazines will gush over this car.

The IS was much cooler when it has an inline six.

The IS was much cooler when it has an inline six.

But it sells a lot more now.

Man - I really wish GM had programs on 20 year old cars. Then your opinion to me might be of value. But nahh... it is the usual toilet paper that it is.

still trying to engineer desire. what a waste. oooh it has a button now. ill take one in silver. the button that is.

i saw a lex is earlier and thought to myself, wow, they finally got those bmw proportions down pretty well now. it did have a suberp paint job though too.

very nice looking. the button dont make a lick of a difference to me. its still alexus and i think they have a ways to go before they produce a car that doesnt run like a calculator. or a refridgerator. or whatever.

you cant engineer desire its naturally there. you either have it, or you dont.

Man - I really wish GM had programs on 20 year old cars.  Then your opinion to me might be of value.  But nahh... it is the usual toilet paper that it is.

Coming from you that's a compliment. :wink:

Get a tombstone for the V8 yet?