New old car!

So I took a ride up to New Hampshire on Friday morning and this little guy followed me home:

Posted Image

About three weeks ago or so now, on the way back from a junkyard with SpeedingPenguin, I spotted this thing sitting up at the road in front of a local garage. Being a fan of big tanks in general, and the Cadillacs of 1971 in particular (I love those separated quads; they make the car look ten feet wide!), I of course made it a point to stop and look at it, and I'm glad I did. The car has just about 103K on it, but was taken care of very well; the body has no rot really anywhere save for a tiny amount on the bottom of the rear quarters, and the black interior is perfect, save for a split on the driver's side armrest. The acres-long dashboard is not split ANYWHERE, and the back seat looks like it's never been sat in. 98% of the exterior brightwork on the car needs to simply be gently polished; there's no rust anywhere on it! The big long heavy doors close nice and tight and easily, and do not hang. The 472 power plant could use a good tuneup, and some cleaning and detailing, but runs very well and does not smoke, knock, or skip. The transmission shifts nice and smooth. I'll drive it just as it is for the rest of the season, but a little bodywork and a new vinyl top is definitely in order to keep me busy over the winter. Ever since I sold my '79 Coupe DeVille I've missed having a car like it, and now I have another that is in every conceivable way superior to it! This one is definitely a keeper.

**Special thanks to Super88Panther for totally letting me mooch off of his American Traveler's Club service by hooking me up with a free tow home!

Edited by XP715

Real sweet piece of candy! This is the first year of the 'stacked' horizontal planes (fender tops here, hood bow a bit higher, decklid a bit higher), a design trait that Cadillac used successfully for a decade. I always loved that transition thru the length of the car, and the subtle pontoon in the rear quarters.

Not a year I'd pick personally, but a great Caddy nonetheless. Nice find. You & S88 really lucked out.

That's an awefully big space between the two posts on the front bumper. Aren't you afraid you're going to get a Prius stuck in there?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I could only be so lucky! Another dream I often have is of me slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting a dog or a little kid that wanders out into the street and having one of the area's many slanmmed to the ground Civics or Integras driving right under the back of it. That would be amazing!

Ohhhhhhh NICE!!!

Congrats, XP!

*sighs*

I think I was born in the wrong decade.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Why can't that be me?" ... 3 Doors Down ... 'If I Could Be Like That'

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

I could only be so lucky! Another dream I often have is of me slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting a dog or a little kid that wanders out into the street and having one of the area's many slanmmed to the ground Civics or Integras driving right under the back of it. That would be amazing!

Ah THOSE are just called "speed bumps"....

Yeah.... just like with my Super 88 you could not stop talking about

it and therefore I KNEW the only thing to do was to convince you to

but it. And you thought twice about calling the guy about taking a

deposit. This car is tarp as a shack, so very elegant.

Now it's official... THIGHT WHIPS IS IN FULL EFFECT!!!

One more congrats is on order for the reorganization of

the Lowell Chapter of Tight Whips.

'96 Cobra ---> '81 Malibu

'68 Camaro ---> '64 Super 88

'79 Coupe deVille ---> '71 Coupe deVille

Edited by Sixty8panther

Yes, this is quite a step up from the bright red Huggy Bear '79 Coupe DeVille, isn't it? The Super 88 is by far the best of the bunch at this current time, though.

Thanks XP... the Super 88 is quite a car but there's nothing

wrong with a 1971 Cadillac anything... esp. a hardtop 2dr

Coupe deVile. Someday perhaps both of these classics will

be white diamond like your "Buick Egg".

I thought you'd enjoy seeing those photos I took when the

Coupe was being ramped up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What-chu going to nick-name this Caddy?... it's hard to top

"Big Red". How about Mr. Death II? or perhaps Queen Mary?

I know you love those separated quads so how about

"Quadzilla"? I think Quadzilla has a certain ring to it.

The Super 88 with its white outside & blue inside and all

those jagged edges, sharp corners & concave surfaces looks

like a big Iceberg, so there you have it... "ICEBERG" it is.

Posted Image

-------------------

Posted Image

Slow ride, Take it eaaaasy...

Edited by Sixty8panther

Posted Image

This thing should have its own zip code, it's wider than most

European two lane highways. What you do not see in this

photo is how the bumperettes & leading edge of the hood

makes it look like an aircraft carrier from profile.