Cadillac Park Avenue

Have I ever told you guys I love 4dr hardtops? :D:ph34r:

That Sixty2 is delicious!

Edited by Sixty8panther

OK- let's muddle thru this chronologically.

1954 ~ concept/auto show car; a one-off.

1958 ~

6239X - Series 62 4-dr hdtp - 216.8"

6239X - Series 62 Export Sedan 4-dr hdtp - 216.8"

6239EX - Series 62 Extended Deck Sedan 4-dr hdtp - 225.3"

6239EDX - Series 62 Sedan deVille 4-dr hdtp - 225.3"

1959 - 1960 ~

No shorter sedan/hardtop models offered.

1961 ~

6329L - Series 63 Sedan deVille 6-window sedan - 222"

6339B - Series 63 Sedan deVille 4-window sedan - 222"

6399C - Series 63 Town Sedan - 215" (mid-year introduction)

1962 ~

6289C - Series 63 Town Sedan - 215"

6329L - Series 63 Sedan deVille 6-window sedan - 222"

6339B - Series 63 Sedan deVille 4-window sedan - 222"

6389D - Series 63 Park Avenue - 215"

1963 ~

6329L - Series 63 Sedan deVille 6-window sedan - 223"

6339B - Series 63 Sedan deVille 4-window sedan - 223"

6389D - Series 63 Park Avenue - 215"

The '58 is not called a "Park Avenue"- that model name only applies to 1962-63. No 'TS/PA' after '63.

The intent was an interesting flip-flop. In '58 the 4-drs were shorter overall than the coupes/convertible. '58 saw the intro of an extended deck sedan to better match the rest of the series.

By '61 the opposite was in effect: offer a shorter 4-dr now that the 4-drs & 2-drs were the same length. It was designed to offer more maneuverability in tight confines. However, the '60s versions were NOT popular sales-wise and it was dropped.

Edited by balthazar

Don't think so- I have a frightening quantity of print ads and the only time a '62-63 Park Avenue is either shown or mentioned was a '63 ad that showed all 12 models. And Cadillac simply did not address specific model features such as 'easier to park' in this era. There were some ads aimed at women, but again- the PA was not mentioned or featured. Maybe in local advertising...

I find it interesting that it was originally used on a Cadillac.

Maybe the Buick Zeta could be called LaSalle since they took the Park Avenue name and made it the Buick flagship. Eh... very doubtful, but it would blend well with LaCrosse & Lucerne. It would also make a logical Flagship Buick since LaSalle was positioned between Buick & Cadillac.

Buick LaSalle? Hmm... not sure if I love the idea or hate it. :mellow:

Ven-

oops- missed one- edited above post to show: there was both a TS and a PA in '62.

No- no direct competitor to the TS/PA per say. Everybody downsized slightly in '61 (Caddy & Lincoln), but Linc had only 1 series '61-67, the 2-model Continental. There was no other competition then.

Actually- I do like the idea of a "Buick LaSalle"- it does meld well with Buick's other model names and I like removing most temptation for 'journalists' to extrapolate a flimsy tie-in with a supposed 'failure' if 'LaSalle' came back under Cadillac.

• 2 months later...

Well, we can talk about having too many models, but it doesn't apply to Cadillac in the '60s. The Division set sales records year after year and dominated the segment.

157357[/snapback]

that's cause every American, that ever had a dream, dreamed of owning a Cadillac.