0% for 72 seems to be working here

Just to clarify my earlier rant about the GM supplier discount....

The discount price was $47.2k, the total of payments would have been $49.4 BEFORE tax, tag, title (not including it).

That was the frustration....I knew the supplier discount price was very close to either cost or invoice, but I also thought it was "no haggle".

Maybe I'm doing my math wrong, but it appears that the dealership was trying to make a couple grand on the deal. Am I missing something?

The DTS is an incredible car and trust me I wanted to buy it in a big way. I suppose my earlier statement that I wouldn't consider GM again is a bit strong...I just won't go near that dealership again.

I have to admit sometimes the dealerships want to push you into a car that you just feel really oppressed by it, kinda how I got suckered into my Impala, don't get me wrong, I love the car, its reliable, gets good mileage and looks good, but I got screwed on the price.

Just to clarify my earlier rant about the GM supplier discount....

The discount price was $47.2k, the total of payments would have been $49.4 BEFORE tax, tag, title (not including it).

That was the frustration....I knew the supplier discount price was very close to either cost or invoice, but I also thought it was "no haggle".

Maybe I'm doing my math wrong, but it appears that the dealership was trying to make a couple grand on the deal. Am I missing something?

The DTS is an incredible car and trust me I wanted to buy it in a big way. I suppose my earlier statement that I wouldn't consider GM again is a bit strong...I just won't go near that dealership again.

... well generally tax and liscensing is included in all payments when talking about purchase...

the only time taxes and liscensing is added on is when your talking about a lease...

i think your getting a good deal, assuming tax and liscenisning is included... but if for some reason they gave you a payment that didnt include tax and liscninsing, they are doing something quite wrong...

i dont know where you live...

but id suggest looking at another cadillac dealership... also its not all that adviseable to leave the dealership... it shows the dealership that you arent very commited to the vehicle... if your willing to sit down for 2-3 hours and negotiate...

but i also understand your point that the price is no haggle... but, you've also must understand the dealership... it costs the dealership more then 100$ to get that vehicle ready for you... it costs them a full take of gas, a car was or two, generally a free oil change, electricty for the building, all the paper work, and a lot more things most people never consider, so when they try to include low jac, extended warrantys, gap insurance, etc. etc... they are just trying to pay for all of the dealerships costs, now occationally a dealership will get carried away with a customer and make over 10k on a guy... example if they sold it to you for 699... they would have made a considerable amount of money on your accessories... but... as a car buyer you should always ask them to break it down and see where all the total amount comes to...

example...

ask them...

total sales price

tax

liscensing & dmv fees

<down payment>

<net trade in>

finance charge / 60 months = 540$...

Do you know if they are offering the 0 for 72 with GMS?

163410[/snapback]

NO...

you cannot receive GMS and 0%...

163416[/snapback]

I work at a Chevy Dealership. Yes you were able to get gms if you were a gm employee. GM in the driveway got you supplier cost if you knew an employee. If you were joe shmoe off the street, FULL sticker. 0% = free money=great deal. We sold WELL over 100 cars in the first 3 days. The last day after the 4th was O.K. but it wasn't a barn burner.For our market it was very good. :AH-HA_wink:

Dropped my GTO off for some warranty work this morning, and the sales manager said they have cleared off about 75% of their inventory during the promo!

163843[/snapback]

thats why it was only a 9 day thing... they couldnt continue that for very long... we sold almost all our 2006 silverados...

the nice thing about GM's new value pricing, is that there are a lot of buyers that are ready... and as soon as GM wants to tap into them, they put a promo... and they sell tons of cars...

but i also understand your point that the price is no haggle... but, you've also must understand the dealership... it costs the dealership more then 100$ to get that vehicle ready for you... it costs them a full take of gas, a car was or two, generally a free oil change, electricty for the building, all the paper work, and a lot more things most people never consider, so when they try to include low jac, extended warrantys, gap insurance, etc. etc... they are just trying to pay for all of the dealerships costs, now occationally a dealership will get carried away with a customer and make over 10k on a guy... example if they sold it to you for 699... they would have made a considerable amount of money on your accessories... but... as a car buyer you should always ask them to break it down and see where all the total amount comes to...

163432[/snapback]

I don't know the full story on his dealings with the dealership, but to automatically add in extra warranty, alarms, etc. is VERY poor business. To ask the customer if they want any of that or to try and sell it to them is one thing, to just put it down without anybody saying anything is wrong. It also shouldn't have changed 3 other times during his dealing with them. There should have been one total and monthly amount based strickly off of that. To go from $589 to $558 to $540 shows the dealer is not doing proper business. If it does come to $589 after taxes and they don't make hardly anything off a vehicle, why drop to $540 and loose almost $3000? Also even at $100 over invoice, once the car is sold dealers get an average kickback of approx. $3000 from GM.

It's always nice to be close friends with a local salesman!

I don't know the full story on his dealings with the dealership, but to automatically add in extra warranty, alarms, etc. is VERY poor business. To ask the customer if they want any of that or to try and sell it to them is one thing, to just put it down without anybody saying anything is wrong. It also shouldn't have changed 3 other times during his dealing with them. There should have been one total and monthly amount based strickly off of that. To go from $589 to $558 to $540 shows the dealer is not doing proper business. If it does come to $589 after taxes and they don't make hardly anything off a vehicle, why drop to $540 and loose almost $3000? Also even at $100 over invoice, once the car is sold dealers get an average kickback of approx. $3000 from GM.

It's always nice to be close friends with a local salesman!

164197[/snapback]

its not necessarily poor business... its just to shock the customer... the average consumer wants to make payments of 200-300 on a suburban and 300-400 on a new corvette... some people just arent thinking properly... no customer is ever satisfied, so its worthwhile to have reserve to discount... if you drop your pants the first time you talk with the customer he'll leave upset and go somewhere else... the best part about the negotiation, is the customer generally leaves feeling he got a great deal... thats why he negotated all the way from 699 to 540@60 @0%... didnt purchase, but with my advice purchased at 558@60 without 0%...

expecally when the dealership is asked to lose money... and the hold back on new chevys may be different then it is on cadillacs but its never more then 1000-1500...

i'll tell you whats bad business... at our dealership we'll try to sell a customer everything... but we'll do so at reasonable prices, our owners have set price limitations... example... when i first got my brand new car... i got a hyundia elantra... LoJac was 2500 according to the Hyundai dealership... at my dealership management will not allow a charge of more then 500$(and we are still making money)... again same thing, a customer of mine had been charged 2500$ for gap insurance next door, the most we will charge our customers is 500$ (and we are still making money)... thats poor business in my eyes... our dealership will give you lojac gap insurance for 1000$ but if you were to get both of those from the other dealership they'd charge you $5000!...

so... yes i might agree with you... but then i'll dissagree on the same token... everything must be done in varriation...

we almost always sell accessories and warrantys insurances all about what it costs us...

the finance guy is required by law to tell the customer what has been included in his purchase, so somewhere along the way, the consumer will find out that he is getting more then he bargined for... if the customer is happy, the deal proceeds...

Edited by Newbiewar

I agree that there is always a customer that wants a $40k vehicle for $20k. There are a lot of people that really should learn more about the process before going in to purchase a vehicle. As far as the kickback amount, that $3k that I noted may be on the large SUV's actually? It was a number I had heard from my buddy but we were looking at the Av's and Tahoe's when that came up.

Edited by BuddyP

Totally different worlds, the car sales in the States and Canada. I find dealing with GM employees very difficult. They distrust the dealers more than the average customers do, plus they want everything for nothing. Up here, they basically pay dealer cost, then GM rebates the dealer 5%, which as you can imagine isn't very much on a Cobalt. Supplier pricing is 4% over invoice, the dealer gets back an additional 2%. In some cases, due to the non-stackable nature of some of the programs, the supplier program isn't worth it. Doom to the salesman who speaks the truth, however!

One of the biggest problems is if you are the first salesperson the eligible customer has talked to, odds are you will end up educating them for the next guy. You could spend an hour, explaining their entitlements, what programs they can combine them with, which ones they can't, bring them down out of the ether because they think they will save $5,000 on a Cobalt, and then off to the next dealer they go.

I find I deal with GM employees as quickly as possible and get rid of them. They are the most amount of work for the lowest commission and they have zero loyalty. We've even had them email the dealership (along with 20 others) and publicly declare that they know about the 5% and will buy from the dealer who will give THEM the most of the 5% back. WTF???? Those emails end up in the garbage.

I agree that there is always a customer that wants a $40k vehicle for $20k. There are a lot of people that really should learn more about the process before going in to purchase a vehicle. As far as the kickback amount, that $3k that I noted may be on the large SUV's actually? It was a number I had heard from my buddy but we were looking at the Av's and Tahoe's when that came up.

164485[/snapback]

tahoes and Avalanches the holdback is around 1500... but nothing is 3k for the chevy lineup... i know, because GMS = Invoice - holdback

on the 50k$ tahoes and other GMT900's it might be more then 1500... but every vehicle is different...

most dealerships do 2-3k 'back of book' so if it's trade in value or wholesale value is 20k then they will try to get it 2-3k less for reconditioning porposes or if it needs to be wholesaled they sure dont want to lose any money on it...

161658[/snapback]

Newbiewar: Are you guys ADP or R&R?