• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Rumorpile: Next Audi Q7 Heads Back To The Drawing Board


    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    August 17, 2013

    What do the Honda Civic, Chevrolet Malibu, and upcoming Audi Q7 have in common? All of them have undergone an emergency redesign.

    Motor Trend reports that Audi has ordered a emergency redesign on the next Q7. The original design was described as being "Too Brutal and Ostentatious"and was negatively received. This is possibly one of the reasons that former head of product development at Audi, Wolfgang Dürheimer was pushed out.

    The cost of this emergency redesign? $260 million and being pushed back a year.

    Source: Motor Trend

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback




    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    Loading...



  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. swgforthefence
      swgforthefence
      (58 years old)
    2. trevormac98
      trevormac98
      (33 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      It has been a mixed few days at Audi. Last Friday, sources told Reuters that no evidence was found that Audi CEO Rupert Stadler knew about the illegal cheating software. Stadler was questioned earlier in the week by U.S. law firm Jones Day - the group brought in by Volkswagen to conduct an internal investigation. Stadler's questioning came around the same time as media reports saying that Audi was more entangled in the diesel emission scandal than previously thought.
      "Nothing burdensome against Stadler was found," said a source.
      Then on Monday, Audi's r&d head Stefan Knirsch stepped down from his post and left the company. As we reported last week , Knirsch reportedly knew about the illegal software and lied about under oath during an internal investigation. At the time, Knirsch was going to be suspended. In a statement, Audi said Knirsch would be leaving immediately. The company did not say the reason for his departure or who would take his place.
      Source: Reuters, 2

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      It has been a mixed few days at Audi. Last Friday, sources told Reuters that no evidence was found that Audi CEO Rupert Stadler knew about the illegal cheating software. Stadler was questioned earlier in the week by U.S. law firm Jones Day - the group brought in by Volkswagen to conduct an internal investigation. Stadler's questioning came around the same time as media reports saying that Audi was more entangled in the diesel emission scandal than previously thought.
      "Nothing burdensome against Stadler was found," said a source.
      Then on Monday, Audi's r&d head Stefan Knirsch stepped down from his post and left the company. As we reported last week , Knirsch reportedly knew about the illegal software and lied about under oath during an internal investigation. At the time, Knirsch was going to be suspended. In a statement, Audi said Knirsch would be leaving immediately. The company did not say the reason for his departure or who would take his place.
      Source: Reuters, 2
    • By William Maley
      The tentative agreement between General Motors and Canadian union Unifor has a $400 million investment going to Oshawa for a new product. Unifor President Jerry Dias said at a press briefing yesterday morning that Oshawa would be the only GM plant that will build cars and trucks. Neither side is saying what that product might be.
      But Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail has learned from sources that Oshawa will be handling the final assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Truck bodies from GM's Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana will travel to Oshawa to have interiors installed and final assembly. The Detroit News reports something similar, although their source says it will only be the Silverado.
      Oshawa has a history of building pickups. For four decades, Oshawa was one of the places where GM built the Silverado and Sierra. But in 2009, GM closed the truck plant due to the recession. 
      The Globe and Mail also reports that production of the XTS has been extended at Oshawa. Analysts believed previously that XTS production would end in 2019.
      Source: The Globe and Mail, The Detroit News

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      The tentative agreement between General Motors and Canadian union Unifor has a $400 million investment going to Oshawa for a new product. Unifor President Jerry Dias said at a press briefing yesterday morning that Oshawa would be the only GM plant that will build cars and trucks. Neither side is saying what that product might be.
      But Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail has learned from sources that Oshawa will be handling the final assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Truck bodies from GM's Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana will travel to Oshawa to have interiors installed and final assembly. The Detroit News reports something similar, although their source says it will only be the Silverado.
      Oshawa has a history of building pickups. For four decades, Oshawa was one of the places where GM built the Silverado and Sierra. But in 2009, GM closed the truck plant due to the recession. 
      The Globe and Mail also reports that production of the XTS has been extended at Oshawa. Analysts believed previously that XTS production would end in 2019.
      Source: The Globe and Mail, The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      Update: In a statement to Mashable, a McLaren spokesperson said "We can confirm McLaren is not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment," So those hoping for an Apple 570S or something else, we're going to be bursting that bubble now. 
      Update 2: Tim Bradshaw, one of the reporters behind the Apple/McLaren story has gone on Twitter saying the FT stands behind its original report. 
      Apple has eyes set on acquiring the McLaren Technology Group - the folks who brought us the F1 supercar and more recently the 570S. The Financial Times reports that Apple and McLaren have been in talks for the past few months about either a full takeover or strategic investment. Why is Apple interested in McLaren? The FT says Apple is interested in McLaren's technology and knowledge of using light-weight materials such as carbon fiber and aluminum. The deal if it goes through is likely to be valued between $1.3 billion and $1.95 billion.
      For the past few years, rumors have been swirling around of Apple building their own self-driving electric vehicle. Apple brought in engineers from various automotive companies such as Diamler and Tesla, and began work on Project Titan two years ago. But the New York Times reports that Apple has hit a few snags in this project and has decided to reset the project. Dozens of employees were laid-off and parts of the project were shuttered. The report goes on to say the Apple is now focusing on building the underlying technology for an autonomous vehicle.
      Sources tell the FT that the deal might not go through because of the change in strategy.
      Apple declined to comment when asked by Roadshow. McLaren hasn't issued a comment at this time. See Update.
      Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required), Bloomberg, New York Times, Roadshow

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)