Al Oppenheiser Moves from Camaro to Work on Zero-Emission Vehicles

The Camaro man moves on

Al Oppenheiser is possibly one of the most important people working at General Motors being the chief engineer for the fifth and sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro. He helped bring back one of the most iconic muscle cars and make into something quite special. But Oppenheiser will soon face a new challenge.

Car and Driver reports that Oppenheiser will move over to GM's newly formed AV/EV organization to work on zero-emission-vehicle development. GM spokesman Michael Albano explained that they are moving "some of our best talent" to help work on their electrification efforts. Albano did acknowledge this was a lateral move, Oppenheiser would remain as a chief engineer.

"We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, said Albano.

What will be Oppenheiser's responsibility in this new position? Car and Driver says it will be "broader than one specific vehicle," meaning he'll be working on a number of vehicle styles.

Source: Car and Driver

Edited by William Maley

Makes sense to move on at this time..the Camaro has painted itself into a corner where it paradoxically gets more powerful yet uglier...a dead end.  They need a clean sheet of paper approach for the next Camaro.

Considering he had a hand in the EV Camaro plug in motor to the tranny, I can see a legacy of Box'd electric motors to replace ICE motors for restoration by those that want the Torque and reduced maintenance of an electric motor.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

It is the future, just not one people are ready to embrace.

I agree with Balthazar that cost is a major issue....but we keep making progress.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It is the future, just not one people are ready to embrace.

Electric motors are cheap, the battery is the big cost for sure but then I do expect the cost to come down significantly over the next few years as production ramps up. Economy of Scale.

battery-cost-1

If we keep following this trend, I expect the cost of per kWh battery to be below $100 by 2023 which makes the battery and a crate electric motor on par with traditional ice crate projects. $100 is where WITHOUT incentives, battery and electric motor are on par with ICE powertrains.

Maybe they can come up with a crate EV motor that has a case styled to look like a BBC with chrome valve covers, painted orange, with a fake carburetor on top.   And shake, make rumbly sounds, and smell like gasoline.

Edited by Robert Hall

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

...Or hire a CGI team to do the same thing.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Oh boy that sounds so macho

I can see a legacy of Box'd electric motors to replace ICE motors for restoration by those that want ... reduced maintenance of an electric motor.

The very very last thing on the mind of those restoring older vehicles is less maintenance. Restoring & maintaining is the entire point.

What leads you to believe any savings seen on costs is going to be passed on to the consumer?

Restoring is a Generational thing, younger people have an interest in older auto's but I am seeing at the local car shows younger people also saying they do not want to have to mess with all the maintenance of an ICE auto. Times change and as older folks pass away, younger folks will fall into two camps, those that will tinker with the old ICE auto's and those that will restore with modern power trains to enjoy driving the auto but without the maintenance.

We are already seeing the death of auto clubs and car shows, if we do not change with the times to find a way to excite younger generations, a way of life will truly be lost to the history books.

POSITIVE THINKING, My Wine Glass is ALWAYS half full. I believe that auto companies will want to find a way to keep young folks buying auto's. if they do not then auto companies will die and shrink and that would be bad.

I believe because I want to that companies who want to have a long profitable life in selling product will find a way to have lower cost auto's.

Laugh my friend at the Chinese personal transport pods, but that very well could be part of the future in America as it is in China.

Why would younger people worried about having to schedule a 20 min oil change at 10,000 miles even BE at a car show?  I thought this age group was crushed under student debt and unable to afford anything more expensive than a street kitchen burrito, nevermind a totally discretionary older vehicle that they are then going to put 10s of thousands into to convert to an EV?
    It's easy to spout automotive platitudes in casual conversation, let's see what they actually DO.

You do so much research, and then you convey it in a concise, very readable style.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Quite true..at old car shows I've attended over the last decade or so, it seems most of the people were Baby Boomers.  Not many people under 50, let alone under 30.   Arizona has a strong old car hobby culture, but it's predominantly an older demo.  I do wonder about the future of the old car hobby after the Baby Boomers age out.  Obviously, some younger people--often the children of those Baby Boomer old car hobbyists--- will get into it, but I don't see as large an interest in old cars with people under 50..

• By Drew Dowdell
      General Motors' lost $2.9 billion in profit due to the strike according to the company's Q3 earnings report released Tuesday.  That number exceeded analyst estimates by $900 million. In the final two weeks of the strike, as further plants had to be shut down due to parts shortages, the company lost $750 million.  The total loss is about $2.00 per share. The stock is up 4.71 percent over Monday's close at the time of this writing.
      The strike hit 31 factories and 21 other facilities including plants in Canada and Mexico which build the Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet Blazer respectively. Both plants were forced to shut down due to parts shortages caused by striking workers in the U.S.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      The UAW has announced that their membership has ratified the new 4-year contract deal with General Motors 23,389 to 17,501.  Roughly 46,000 union members will receive an $11,000 ratification bonus while temporary workers will get $4,500.
      According to GM, work is to resume Monday with the first shift, however GM was attempting to get volunteers to start production earlier on Saturday and Sunday at Flint Assembly and Fort Wayne Assembly where the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado are built.
      The strike, which lasted roughly 6 weeks, cost the company $450 million per week.
      The new agreement includes:
      No increase in healthcare contribution, retaining the current 3% rate 3% wage increases or 4% lump sum payments each of the 4 years of the contract $11,000 signing bonus to union employees, $4,500 for temporary employees $7.7 billion in investments in U.S. manufacturing plants, including Detroit-Hamtramck, a plant originally slated for closure Enhanced employee profit sharing with no cap A clear path for temporary employees to become permanent after three years of service beginning January 2020.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The new agreement includes:
    • By Drew Dowdell
      As part of General Motors' tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers, there is a planned $3 billion investment into the Detroit-Hamtramck plant to make electric trucks, SUVs, and vans. The program, called BT1 is part of a larger $7.7 billion investment in GM's plants over the next four years.
      The BT1 program includes an electric truck for GMC and an electric SUV for Cadillac for the 2023 model year. But before that happens, in 2021 a low volume BT1 pickup will start production under a different brand while a performance truck follows in 2022, and then an electric SUV in 2023.  Rumor has it that these low volume BT1 vehicles could be sold under the Hummer brand, not used since 2010, but that decision has not been finalized.
      If GM did bring the Hummer brand back as an EV brand, it would have instant name brand recognition and a leg up on rival startup Rivian who has a truck due out in 2020. GM would not need to spend as much money to market the brand.
      The vehicles on the new BT1 platform would use a "skateboard" architecture that bundles the batteries and electric motor together. The architecture is highly flexible allowing GM to build vehicles in front, rear, or all-wheel drive configurations.

• 442 : I have seen where your automotive passions lie, and I have no issues with that, of course. Always; to each, his own. I know I am generally very particular- that's just me. There's no singular automotive segment that I like unilaterally. • 1960 Eldorado Seville coupe, for me? Why, thank you, anonymous wealthy donor, I shall love it like my own child! • 1960 Merc Park Lane coupe, for me? Ummm, may I politely allow another to appreciate this automobile over myself?
    • I can relate...i like a lot of stuff from a lot of manufacturers.  I'm sure some of it is due to what I was exposed to at an early age.   '60s-70s muscle cars and pony cars, full size American cars from the '60s-80s (esp. '69-72), personal luxury coupes.  Mustangs were my first loves. Over the years have gained an appreciation for German luxury and performance sedans, esp. the big Mercs of the 80s to today.  I like Northstar Cadillacs.  I like JDM performance cars like the older Skylines, though I've only seen a few in person.  Like a variety of Porsches and other European performance cars.  Like modern Volvo wagons.   I love a variety of Jeeps.  Love vintage race cars.
    • Impossible, they're only 3 inches apart. I assumed the GX will replace the Encore, but that's a curious way to go about it; just enlarge the next Encore. This continual halving of vehicle segments is not sustainable.
    • I get you. And yes, I see what you are sayin' and I agree with it. My choice of words, whether worded wrong or right, I did not realize the impact it might have.  And yes, I have formed that theme and bias.  I like muscle car type cars. I like performance oriented cars.  I like automotive rivalries and what cars come out of that rivalry.  I usually like how cars have evolved as a product in their own environment.   Skylines, to me, are muscle car like.  Originally, the cars were normal cars that were stuffed with higher performance engines in them creating a faster car. And over the years and decades, we got what we have today.  So I like Skylines.   Any car stuffed with a big V8 where normally a smaller engine resides, I like. The AMG Hammer in the late 80s and more often than not, the modern AMG V8 cars, I enjoy those. I like Ford GT40 versus Ferrari 250s.  I like Lamborghinis versus Ferraris. I like Chevy versus Ford versus Dodge. And if you have the patience to read my posts, you will clearly see what cars I usually have passion for.

1. InvictaMan