NHTSA Investigates Dodge Durango and Ram 1500s Rolling Away

More FCA vehicles are being investigated for rolling away

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles isn't out of the dog house when it comes to vehicles rolling away. A few months after issuing a recall on a number of models equipped with the stubby transmission lever for rolling away, NHTSA is investigating models equipped with the rotary knob gear selector for the same problem.

The investigation is looking at the 2013–2016 Ram 1500 and the 2014–2016 Dodge Durango which have the rotary knob selector. NHTSA has gotten 43 complaints about these models moving away. Out of the 43 complaints, 25 have resulted in crashes and another 9 resulted in injuries. NHTSA also says that 34 complaints said the vehicle was moving while in park.

FCA said it is cooperating with the investigation. In the meantime, FCA and NHTSA are urging owners to engage the parking brake

Source: NHTSA, Reuters

Seriously, turn it to the left until you can't turn it anymore and ou are in park people.  I have used these in the 200 and Ram and had no issue.  It disturbs me that people can't operate an automatic shifter these days.  God forbid those people try to drive something with a manual.

2 hours ago, Stew said:

Have you actually talked to any of these owners having these problems? Seems rather presumptuous to assume their issues if you haven't. Now, if it is because of basic ignorance, then yes these people are hopeless but if you don't know for certain than that is a whole other ballgame. For the record, I think you may be right but since I haven't spoken to any of the affected drivers, I'll reserve judgement for now.

14 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It was driver ignorance with the other recall.  These transmissions give audible warnings, the light on the shifters, and 2 or 3 warnings in the cluster if the vehicle is not in park when the door is opened.  I have used this same shifter on multiple vehicles and never had any type of issue.  More than likely they are just forgetting to put it in park when they get out and ignoring the warnings.

18 minutes ago, Stew said:

Again I understand what you're saying and I know a lot of the times, the "new tech" is just not familiar enough to some folks but it's still presumptuous to say that's what's going with the affected people now. There are these known as "defects" that could be the problem more than driver error, is what I'm saying.

I see it as a remote possibility at best, especially since this shifter has been around for nearly 4 years now and this is just coming up.   Remember they have to put a freaking chart in the new Lacrosse because people couldn't understand what is actually a simple shifter to use.

Edited by Stew

Having used the shifter in the 300 my first comment is some old person in Florida is going to put one of these through a garage wall.

The shifter is a little on the sensitive side and if you are younger with good joy stick skills it is not an issue. But those who are older and like have had decades of clunky shifter detents it is a point of adaption. Some do and some don't.

Be that as it may any MFG will be faced with the problem is people can't handle it.

On the other hand they could claim they warned people if you should have one coming at you in a parking lot. It does say Dodge or Ram on the car does it not? LOL!

They really needed to add to the sensitivity of the shifter. I have not used the knob but would think the detent for part would be one even a blind man could feel. Feel in a shifter is something many have adopted too. Even in my car I never look I just count the detents.

2 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

It actually has a really good and clear detent between gears.  I am not exactly a kid ya know haha.

4 hours ago, Stew said:

I was not sure on the dial but I do know the 300 does take some adaption if you are not used to it and the old dogs don't learn new tricks well. They got a recall on it but I do not believe they have had it addressed yet.

I am interested in what they do to change it. I assume a new less sensitive switch?

I have driven some others that were electronic but they were much less sensitive.

The first couple times I drove it I missed the gear the first try and had to give it a second try. I was holding it too long.

I did stress to my mother in law to make sure to pay attention to what gear she was in as details in a car are not often her first concern. Shopping yes gear no.

Edited by hyperv6

14 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

The rotary is totally different than the original 8 speed shifter in the 12-15 Charger and 300s.  Where it first appeared in the Ram it is designed to be clear and easily usable with gloves.  it took me no time to adapt and the extra space in the center console was nice.  Also, try the shifter in the 15+ LX cars and 16+ Grand Cherokees.  It is sweet, easy to use and actually looks pretty damned good for a factory auto shifter.

12 minutes ago, Stew said:

I would assume it would be easy to do right as others have done so. But with so many things anymore you have to idiot proof things as people can today  find ways of getting hurt on a Band Aide

1 minute ago, hyperv6 said:

Unfortunately this is so true.  In the last couple years there have been multiple cases here of people running through buildings (especially Subway restaurants for some reason lol) because they can't tell the difference between the gas and brake pedal and they haven't moved in 100 years haha.

I had a '14 300 with the electronic shifter.  I get the complaints about that one.  You got used to the shifter but it was not as intuitive as most shifters.  You could think you were in park and actually be in neutral.  I do not get the issue with the rotary.  My 200 has a rotary and every position is clearly detented and it also has indicators telling you what position you are in.  I don't really understand how people can have issues with the rotary other than the fact it is new and different.  Maybe it is just easier to forget since there isn't a lever staring you in the face?

My questions is, don't some of the European brands (I'm looking at you Mercedes) have overly complicated shifters that are not at all intuitive?  How in the world do they get away without having these same investigations being done?  Do they do a better job with auto application of electronic parking brakes?

The problem I surmise may be the dial is different.

People tend to use shifters without any thought but the dial at first needs more attention and is more an opperator error.

The problem is even as a operator issue the mfg pats the price.

My puzzlement is why go to a dial and take the risk?

Mfg have gone to buttons and other forms of shifter but they always go back to stick and column.

i guess it is hard to change habits from 100 years.

The problem I surmise may be the dial is different.

The problem is even as a operator issue the mfg pats the price.

My puzzlement is why go to a dial and take the risk?

i guess it is hard to change habits from 100 years.

2 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

The problem I surmise may be the dial is different.

The problem is even as a operator issue the mfg pats the price.

My puzzlement is why go to a dial and take the risk?

i guess it is hard to change habits from 100 years.

The problem I surmise may be the dial is different.

The problem is even as a operator issue the mfg pats the price.

My puzzlement is why go to a dial and take the risk?

i guess it is hard to change habits from 100 years.

The shift is because it puts less clutter on the center console and offers more rooms.  you couldn't do such before shifters went electronic.  Jag and Ford (at least on the 17 Fusion) both the dial and Lincoln uses push buttons (at least on the MKS).

Its a cleaner look that is for sure. Dials that is.

Ive driven both the TLX and the new 2017 Fusion both with the dial shifters in which I own the previous models where my wife's 2013 Fusion and my 2012 TL have the regular stick.

OK...I personally prefer the clean look and the less claustrophobic reality at the center console but....when the actual shifting out of gear is concerned , I much prefer the old skool way with the stick...

To boot, if I wanted a real clean and waaaay less claustrophobic look at the middle, I much prefer to have a bench seat with an arm rest folding down and up and a column shifter. REAL old skool way!!!

3 hours ago, Stew said:

3 hours ago, Stew said:

Understand this what I do not understand is it worth the risk as you too often end up with issues like this as people really don't deal with changes like this well.

The space is not worth the issues.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Fiat Chrysler is bringing a slew of concepts to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that all feature some sort of electrification.
      The centerpiece of their display will be the 2020 Airflow Vision concept.  While not specifically branded as a Chrysler, the Airflow Vision does take the name of a full-size Chrysler model produced from 1934 - 1937.  FCA calls it a "sculptural design concept" that envisions the next generation of premium transportation.  The interior user experience is designed to be captivating. FCA put a lot of work into showing a sophisticated appearance that can be personalized and customized to individual needs.
      The cabin offers multiple interfaces, one behind the steering wheel, two on the center console, one for the front passenger, and two more for the rear passengers. Information can be shared between the screens by swiping.  The interior is said to be the same size as the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in and has a flat load floor. In spite of all that room, it only has 4 seats set up in a lounge chair fashion to maximize legroom, shoulder room, and storage space for each passenger. Premium suedes and leathers, along with ambient lighting make the ride a first-class experience.
      The exterior of the Airflow Vision has an aggressive stance with bodywork reaching almost to the ground. The wheels hint at the use of electric motors, but no powertrain information was provided.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      In a discussion about their pending merger, Fiat Chrysler revealed that the combined company's future vehicles in the small to mid-size range will be built on two of PSA's platforms.  The reasoning behind it is that PSA's platforms are more modern than FCA's which first debuted in 2003. They are also capable of a wider range of propulsion methods like electrification that are harder to incorporate into the aging platform that FCA is using.
      The smaller of the two platforms, PSA's CMP, launched last year is found under the Peugeot 208, 2008, DS 3 Crossback and the new Opel Corsa.  The larger platform is called EMP2 and launched in 2016.  It underpins the Peugeot 3008, 5008, 508, DS7 Crossback, Citroen C5 Aircross, and Opel Grandland. Both of these platforms could become the basis for new Jeep, Dodge, and Fiat models. The first possible FCA model to debut on one of these platforms is likely to be a small crossover for Alfa Romeo, due out in 2022.
      On the other hand, the Ram trucks and larger Jeep models will continue to use technology developed by FCA.  The next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee is already well into development and the forthcoming Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are set to go into production in early 2021.
      The primary question mark remains around the larger Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Challenger, and Chrysler Pacifica.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot S.A. have signed a binding agreement to a 50/50 merger of their businesses. Once the merger is complete, the combined company will be the fourth largest automobile producer in the world.  Based on 2018 numbers, the business will sell roughly 8.7 million vehicles annually and have revenues near €170 billion. There will be a strong balance sheet that will allow the new entity headroom to execute strategic plans. Geographically, 46% of revenue will come from Europe and 43% from North America.
      A number of operational efficiencies will be gained by the sharing of platforms and engine technology. The number of platforms will be reduced with approximately 6 million cars a year concentrated on just two platforms.The platform consolidations will account for approximately 40% of the estimated €3.7 billion in savings expected from the merger.
      Peugeot CEO Carlos Tavares will be CEO of the new company and a board member, while John Elkann of FCA will be Chairman of the Board. The completion of the combination is expected to take 12 to 15 months during which time they will be completing items to the satisfaction of antitrust and other regulatory requirements.

• Yeah, I could see EVs being commodity appliances.   But are enough people willing to drop $40k or more on an unknown brand appliance?   Maybe if they are made available as monthly subscriptions/leases... I could see someone 'subscribing' to an EV online, have it delivered to their house, then use it for a period of time (24 months?), subscription is up, it gets picked up and disposed of, a new, improved one is dropped off....just like a phone... strange new world..
    • Just a thought- I would rather have the brands spoken about here than having some up and coming price pointed Chinese junk. My worry is this is where the EV models are headed....people more concerned about the price than if it good or not, a la Amazon......(maybe they will sell them there).....
    • That's just marketing... it's on the consumer to determine if they want to pay that price.   I understand, though..third party products are often shit.   I stick with authentic Apple products (esp. charging cables and power cords)  though I know they cost more than some 3rd party shit product. As an aside,  one third party product I've bought lately that I've been satisfied with are Anker wireless earbuds..better than the hard plastic ones that came w/ my latest iPhone.
    • Exactly. Thus they don't have the need for Bentley pickups or vans.   Like with Cadillac, there is  Chevy and GMC for the commercial vehicles.  Different approach. Mercedes has long had the duality in their reality--luxury sedans, coupes, sporty models with a long history of commercial vehicles.