Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest!

    Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

    Sign up is free and easy, come join the fun!

  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Ford Plans Plug-In Hybrid Escape, Hybrid Full-Size SUVs

    Four more hybrid variants from Ford come to light

    Back in January, Ford announced they would be introducing 13 new electric and hybrid vehicles including a hybrid Mustang and plug-in hybrid version of the F-150. Automotive News has learned about four additional vehicles that will launch in 2019.

    According to sources familiar with Ford's plans, the company will launch plug-in hybrid versions of the Escape and Lincoln MKC, along with hybrid variants of the Expedition and Navigator. Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting for LMC Automotive said it makes sense for Ford to do hybrid variants of SUVs and crossovers as they are hot sellers. 

    "They're at a critical point in their strategy, and that's trying to balance today and tomorrow. You don't want to go all in on EVs at this point because that's not going to pay the bills and keep the lights on today, but you also don't want to get behind," said Schuster.

    The return of a hybrid Escape comes at an interesting time as Ford begins to end production of the C-Max Hybrid and Energi models.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)


    Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback


    I know that the tide is turning against ICE and moving to EV's etc., however it will be a long while before I buy one.  My business partner has a Volt and it is a great car, but it would not be on my list of cars to buy.  In fact, the only car that I would even consider to this day (and by consider, I mean that it may be an option) is the MKZ hybrid (I don't even know if they still offer it).  I would never consider paying a premium for a hybrid car and that is the only one in memory that sells at a commensurate MSRP to its ICE brethren.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    They never should have left the Hybrid Escape. 

    +1000

    My sister has one of the first gen Hybrid Escapes and the crap she puts that car through and it just keeps on truckin...

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, lengnert said:

    In fact, the only car that I would even consider to this day (and by consider, I mean that it may be an option) is the MKZ hybrid (I don't even know if they still offer it).

     

    They still do

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    +1000

    My sister has one of the first gen Hybrid Escapes and the crap she puts that car through and it just keeps on truckin...

    It only lasted a year or two, didn't it? It also seemed like a weird time to get rid of a hybrid SUV. That was when SUVs were starting to boom and they just abandoned it like a bunch of jabronis. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The C-Max looks weird, they can dump that.  They do need hybrid Escape for sure, that is a no brainer, I think F150 and Expedition due to how thirsty they are have to have a hybrid, and then Explorer makes sense too.  Think of how many hybrid Explorers they can sell as police cars.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    The C-Max looks weird, they can dump that.  They do need hybrid Escape for sure, that is a no brainer, I think F150 and Expedition due to how thirsty they are have to have a hybrid, and then Explorer makes sense too.  Think of how many hybrid Explorers they can sell as police cars.

    A hybrid F150? A hybrid Expedition?  That is either brilliant or crazy.  A hybrid Explorer (especially since it is now a crossover and NOT a BOF SUV) actually makes sense.  They could use a hybrid Escape right now, if Ford wanted to do that.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'm wondering when one of the major automakers will do an all-electric pickup..  IIRC there was one independent company that was doing conversions on Chevy trucks (Bob Lutz was involved) but that was just smoke and mirrors and failed, didn't it? 

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

    A hybrid F150? A hybrid Expedition?  That is either brilliant or crazy.  A hybrid Explorer (especially since it is now a crossover and NOT a BOF SUV) actually makes sense.  They could use a hybrid Escape right now, if Ford wanted to do that.

    A hybrid F150 is on its way, supposedly. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    31 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    I'm wondering when one of the major automakers will do an all-electric pickup..  IIRC there was one independent company that was doing conversions on Chevy trucks (Bob Lutz was involved) but that was just smoke and mirrors and failed, didn't it? 

    https://electrek.co/2017/05/03/workhorse-plug-in-electric-pickup-truck/

    I know it isn't 100% electric but it's a Volt-like powertrain  in which the gasoline engine is only to charge the batteries. 

    Edited by ccap41

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    This is one of the few times I have to give GM props in restraint. EV Pick-Ups and BOF SUVs may simply not be ready yet as far as the usual buyers of those sized vehicles. The Escape thing tho.. is a good move.. and even the Explorer. I think that GM has decided that a diesel Equinox 28 city/39 highway/32 combined (versus the old Escape Hybrid at  34city/30hwy/32 combined)  may be the more conventional way of doing this.. while in China they just debuted a Hybrid XT5

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    It only lasted a year or two, didn't it? It also seemed like a weird time to get rid of a hybrid SUV. That was when SUVs were starting to boom and they just abandoned it like a bunch of jabronis. 

    No, it lasted for the first 2 generations (if you're counting the refresh as a generation, it was major enough of a refresh that I would consider it a second generation). They also made significant upgrades to the hybrid system during the refresh.

    This is the one my sister has

    33658.jpg

    And it lasted up until the end of this generation (including the Mercury Mariner Hybrid

    FORDEscape-4160_1.jpg

     

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Escape Hybrid might sell at a good rate if they can keep the battery from impinging much on the cargo area like hybrid midsize cars are doing (Camry, Accord, Sonata).

     

     

     

     

    Edited by frogger

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    I'm wondering when one of the major automakers will do an all-electric pickup..  IIRC there was one independent company that was doing conversions on Chevy trucks (Bob Lutz was involved) but that was just smoke and mirrors and failed, didn't it? 

    You're thinking of Via Motors. It looks like they are still kicking, but doing plug-in hybrid powertrains.

    http://www.viamotors.com/

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    This is one of the few times I have to give GM props in restraint. EV Pick-Ups and BOF SUVs may simply not be ready yet as far as the usual buyers of those sized vehicles. The Escape thing tho.. is a good move.. and even the Explorer. I think that GM has decided that a diesel Equinox 28 city/39 highway/32 combined (versus the old Escape Hybrid at  34city/30hwy/32 combined)  may be the more conventional way of doing this.. while in China they just debuted a Hybrid XT5

    That was also back in, at the latest, 2012 in which nothing could touch those numbers combined. Even now 32 combined is a pretty good number for an SUV. Considering a brand new in every way 2018 Equinox 1.5T, 9spd, FWD is rated 28 combined that 32 was pretty stellar. And for being so much older and still having the combined rating of that diesel(even though you and I both know diesel ratings can easily be topped) it was very impressive and with GM's Volt powertrain..they could have had an extremely dominant vehicle in their arsenal had they done that. They should have done that the year after the Volt came out in 2012. Even if the range of the Volt was cut in half to like 18 miles of strictly EV mode before kicking in the gasoline engine it would have done GREAT. And it wasn't a weak motor, it could have been plopped directly into the 'Nox without needing a bigger and more powerful motor. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    Maybe Ford thought the C-Max was sufficient for a compact hybrid crossover-like vehicle instead doing a 3rd gen Escape Hybrid.

    They probably did.. but that was kind of a flop, wasn't it? 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

    They probably did.. but that was kind of a flop, wasn't it? 

    Yeah, It's still around, but I see so few of them... seems like an Edge Hybrid would have been the better way to go.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'd say almost anything else would have been better than the C-Max but if they just did the C-Max right the first time there probably wouldn't be this discussion. They just didn't make a very good product. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×