Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    General Motors Ordered Replacement Ignition Switches Two Months Before Announcing Recall

    Sign in to follow this  

      More Bad News For GM

    It seems with every new report concerning General Motors and the ignition switch recall, GM only looks worse off. Consider this piece from the Wall Street Journal today which reports that the automaker placed an order for 500,000 replacement ignition switches two months before announcing a recall.

    Emails shown to the Wall Street Journal revealed that on December 18, a GM contract worker contacted supplier Delphi Automotive for a 'urgent' order of 500,000 switches. This comes a day after GM senior executives were called into a meeting to discuss the situation over the Chevrolet Cobalt was discussed. However, no records were kept about what was said at the meeting.

    These emails come from Delphi which produced these and other documents as part of a discovery order connected to a case against GM in New York.

    GM spokesman Alan Adler tells the Wall Street Journal said the company followed the procedure set by NHTSA by submitting a correct defect chronology, and wasn’t required to disclose details of a parts order.

    "These emails are further confirmation that our system needed reform, and we have done so. We have reorganized our entire safety investigation and decision process and have more investigators, move issues more quickly and make decisions with better data," said GM in a statement.

    It should be said that automakers will call on suppliers to check on availability of parts and place orders. However with this news, it only adds to fire that is currently sitting under GM at the moment.

    Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Transparency would go a long way to helping GM's cause.  They have always seemed to be so secretive and like they are making back room deals.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't see a problem, honestly, with the timing.  They were gearing up.  Can anyone imagine the shitstorm if the recall had been announced, and no plan was in place ahead of the announcement?  I have a feeling this is not an unusual practice for any automaker.

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't see a problem, honestly, with the timing.  They were gearing up.  Can anyone imagine the shitstorm if the recall had been announced, and no plan was in place ahead of the announcement?  I have a feeling this is not an unusual practice for any automaker.

     

    It isn't as I pointed out towards the end of the story. But most will ignore that little detail I think.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The real story is how much did GM management know before the parts were sourced and the recall announced. This is non-news to me, as per ocnblu's post above.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't see a problem, honestly, with the timing.  They were gearing up.  Can anyone imagine the shitstorm if the recall had been announced, and no plan was in place ahead of the announcement?  I have a feeling this is not an unusual practice for any automaker.

     

    Can you imagine if they announced the recall but said "We won't have any replacement parts for another 3 months"

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    No, GM did the right thing here with ordering parts before the recall.  This is a classic case of looks bad vs. is bad.  Nobody can make replacement parts appear out of thin air in less than 24 hours. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Maven, General Motors' car-sharing service launched in 2016 will be ceasing operation in several cities in the U.S.
      The news was first broken by the Wall Street Journal on Monday and has been confirmed by a GM spokeswoman. Eight out of the seventeen markets that the service operates including Boston and Chicago will be closed down within the next few months. According to the spokeswoman, the shutdown is due to GM wanting to "concentrate on markets in which we have the strongest current demand and growth potential." Those markets in question include Detroit, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
      Another possible reason is the lack of awareness of Maven in the eight markets being shut down. There isn't enough demand for people wanting to use car-sharing or wanting to allow the use of their vehicles.
      Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required), Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Maven, General Motors' car-sharing service launched in 2016 will be ceasing operation in several cities in the U.S.
      The news was first broken by the Wall Street Journal on Monday and has been confirmed by a GM spokeswoman. Eight out of the seventeen markets that the service operates including Boston and Chicago will be closed down within the next few months. According to the spokeswoman, the shutdown is due to GM wanting to "concentrate on markets in which we have the strongest current demand and growth potential." Those markets in question include Detroit, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
      Another possible reason is the lack of awareness of Maven in the eight markets being shut down. There isn't enough demand for people wanting to use car-sharing or wanting to allow the use of their vehicles.
      Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required), Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Among General Motor's restructuring and cost slashing activities of 2018, GM was apparently in talks to sell their headquarters in Detroit.  GM bought the Renaissance Center in 1996 for $70 million and has made substantial renovations over the years.   The RenCen, as it is also known, was originally built by Ford in 1971 who later sold it in the 1980s.
      The potential buyer was billionaire Dan Gilbert.  Talks fell through rather early because the aging structure requires expensive upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems along with other renovations. There does not appear to be another buyer in talks with GM at this time.
      News of the potential sale follow a year of cost cutting measures by the company that include closing five North American plants and cutting up to 14,000 jobs.  The company hopes to have $6 Billion in annual savings by 2020. 

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Among General Motor's restructuring and cost slashing activities of 2018, GM was apparently in talks to sell their headquarters in Detroit.  GM bought the Renaissance Center in 1996 for $70 million and has made substantial renovations over the years.   The RenCen, as it is also known, was originally built by Ford in 1971 who later sold it in the 1980s.
      The potential buyer was billionaire Dan Gilbert.  Talks fell through rather early because the aging structure requires expensive upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems along with other renovations. There does not appear to be another buyer in talks with GM at this time.
      News of the potential sale follow a year of cost cutting measures by the company that include closing five North American plants and cutting up to 14,000 jobs.  The company hopes to have $6 Billion in annual savings by 2020. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Society of Automotive Engineers has announced today that they are joining with Ford, General Motors, and Toyota to form the Automatic Vehicle Safety Consortium (AVSC), a group that will work together to test the deployment and development of Level 4 and Level 5 automated vehicles. 
      The AVSC will provide a safety framework for the advancement of the technology in a safe and responsible manner. The group will use the expertise of its current members to establish a set of guiding principles for safety. 
      GM, Ford, and Toyota already have autonomous vehicle development well underway.  GM is producing driverless Chevrolet Bolt EVs as part of a development and testing program via its GM Cruise unit. 

      View full article
  • Social Stream

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • My Clubs

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...