Create New...
    Drew Dowdell

NHTSA Testing Mirrorless Cars

...New tech to replace old tech...

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun testing vehicles that have cameras in place of real mirrors.  The request to test such devices goes back to March of 2014 when the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers along with Tesla filed a petition with the NHTSA to get approval to install based rear or side vision cameras and screens  in their vehicles.  Daimler filed a similar petition in 2015 for their heavy duty trucks. Japan and Europe have already approved the technology.

The first car with cameras replacing the side mirrors was the Lexus ES sold in Japan, followed by the Audi e-tron in Europe back in December.  Both vehicles are sold in the U.S. with standard mirrors instead of the cameras.  Honda's coming Honda e will have the technology standard when it goes on sale in Europe later this year.

Mirrorless systems are an area where the legislation has not yet caught up with the technology according to Mark Dahncke of Audi.

But... they still have the pods on the side of the car... I'm not sure how much of an advancement it is.

I expect those pods to go away to numbs on the side.

I expect auto's to go this route:

See the source image

SO much better to cast your eyes in the direction of where you intend to move (aka; merging left) than in the opposite directions. Easiler to catch someone coming out of your blind spot & into your peripheral. That said, some vehicles have pretty small side views.
    I like some of the rearview tech, such as Cadillacs, but you're looking in the same direction in that case.

What do you think of an implementation like Lexus version?

See the source image

I myself do not mind it, while I hate BMW version.

See the source image

Audi's implementation is not bad, I think a better integration than Lexus.

See the source image

VW has a nice integration that is probably same parts as Audi.

See the source image

I can also see side nubs like this for the cameras.

See the source image

A lot of expensive tech to what benefit? Mirrors work

Exactly my thought. When that tech goes on the fritz (and it will) one will wish they had that low tech mirror.

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The problem with mirrors is that somebody could just act like a vandal and break them.  The advantage is that mirror replacement is cheap compared to those cameras if someone vandalizes your car.

Mirrors aren't exactly cheap, either. Power control, sometimes heated, and almost always you have to buy the entire assembly. It's hundreds to start.

All the 'side view camera' images David posted above suck- both in integration, and field of vision. A distraction.

Only reason I can see for overly-complicating side views is for aerodynamics, tho at the average speed most cars travel, it's pointless.

Yeah, I had to replace a whole mirror assembly on my Jeep when the lower surround of it was cracked.  Was $380 to replace (incl. labor).   Have to take off the interior door panel to unbolt it and disconnect the wires..

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Which is exactly my point to my last post. Cheaper to maintain by a country mile. Oh and some insurance coverage plans will cover a broken mirror. Your HD side view screen goes out? Better talk to the manufacturer and hope it’s still under warranty.

Edited by surreal1272
    • Agree 1

Good News cost of S-Class side mirrors have dropped in the last few years. Bad News ya still looking at $570 to $675 dollars for the mirror module and then installation, so I bet a cool $1,500 for the repair of a broken mirror.

Estimate on the Camera nubs is probably  $1,500 to $2,500 depending on brand.

image.png

• Agree 1

Just now, dfelt said:

Estimate on the Camera nubs is probably  $1,500 to $2,500 depending on brand.

image.png

Thus solidifying my point. There’s a camera AND a screen to contend with in that situation.

Love technology and advancement...but this continues to come off as more of a concept car experiment than anything. Mirrors still work.

Small gear shifters still work too, vs. haptic feedback buttons. Advance the efficiency, advance the refinement, advance the safety...but another HD camera and another screen?

Interesting but not needed. Curious to see who and what gets this first, if anything, here.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, caddycruiser said:

More than that, but those of us who have been driving a while have been trained to look in the mirrors. It would take a while to get used to looking at a different spot.

The Center rearview mirror like Cadillac and Toyota have is different. You still look in the same spot for that.  They don't work as well at night though.

• Agree 2

Another issue is taking your focal point from a transparent surface (the window) and moving to an opaque one (the door panel). That’s a possible step back from the optimum.

A LOT of ‘new tech’ (OEMs have been toying with camera mirrors for around 60 years now) is ‘just because we can’.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Isn't that what the automobile was in the first place? There was never truly a "need" for an automobile.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Who will make all of those videos on Youtube of guys on motorcycles busting off the mirrors of bad drivers if cars no longer have them?

Is the tesla semi concept really a 1-seater??

Appears to be only one seat in this pic of a prototype from 2018..they've been road testing them for a while.

tesla-semi-1-e1539187374903.jpg

• Latest News Toyota Will Take Over the Windy City, Chicago February 8th with 44 Autos. Spaciousness is what Toyota will give to the world with the first ever 2024 Grand Highlander and 44 other vehicles including the Crown Family. ---> Read More Toyota Crown Hybrid, the Stop Gap Product Till EVs The Toyota Crown while well-known across the Asian rim is the longest running product line from Japan and is now here as a stop gap measure in the U.S., Again. ---> Read More GM & Netflix Partner to Show Case EVs on TV General Motors and Netflix are joining forces to give electric vehicles (EVs) the stage they deserve. ---> Read More Infinitum All-in-one Electric Motors the Future of the Auto Industry? Infinitum is an electric motor designer that no one has heard of yet, but that is about to change with their All-in-one solution. ---> Read More Is Toyota Shooting Itself in the Foot in Regard to EVs? The Asahi Shimbun news organization is reporting that Toyota is joining the ranks of Hyundai, GM, Tesla, VW and other Auto OEMs with a dedicated EV platform, but with a BIG catch. ---> Read More GM Dumping Pouch EV Cells for Cylinder 4680 Cells Korean sources have learned that GM is dumping the Pouch for the Cylinder and not just any average one, but the 4680 spec that Tesla is pushing in their own EVs. ---> Read More Kia Chooses onsemi Silicon Carbide Power Module Traction Inverters for High Performance Electric Vehicles Kia starts production on performance EVs using industry leading Traction Inverters by onsemi for improved electrical handling. ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • I remember those. They always seemed to be cream colored.  As far as FWD V8s, I prefer the STS of that era.    When I was living in Ann Arbor I had a friend that was an engineer at Ford working on the ‘98 facelifted model.  Got to ride in one one winter’s night in ‘97.     I remember going to the Detroit auto show in ‘95 and ‘96, 25 yr old me really wanted an STS.  I still like them.
    • Was never on my radar.  So much so, that I just did a double take on the title mentioning it had a V8.  I knew it was FWD, I never knew  right up to THIS moment it had a V8.  I just listened to the video to find out it was the moduler 4.6 V8.   You learn something new everyday.    The Towncar and the Mark VIII was what I liked from Lincoln then.  And both models were FONDLY liked.   But in 2023, I actually like it.  Too bad I was turned off by it then.   Reflecting back as to why that was...I couldnt tell ya.   PS: I never did, nor do I right now, equate the 1995 Continental with the Taurus.
    • Since it's been so cold I haven't done much work on it.  But last month I took the wheels off and dropped them off to have new tires fitted. Put the wheels back on today and repaired a positive battery cable that I had broken in the fall.  Today it moved under it's own power for the first time in probably years.  I took if it for a very short spin up the block and back.

• There are no registered users currently online

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search