Good-Bye 2-Door Golf GTI. Hello Golf AWD?

• We have some bad news and some possible good news

There are changes afoot in the Volkswagen Golf family. We'll begin with the bad news, the two-door Golf GTI will be no more in the U.S. Car and Driver was able to confirm this news with Volkswagen. Why?

“The trend is clearly shifting toward four-door models,” said Volkswagen of America’s marketing chief, Hendrik Muth.

Originally, Volkswagen was planning to offer the two-door GTI for 2017, but only in the base S trim.

Now for the possible good news, Volkswagen is considering adding all-wheel drive to the standard Golf. During the press launch of the Golf Alltrack, Volkswagen's vice president of product marketing and strategy Dr. Hendrik Muth explained that adding 4Motion to the Puebla, Mexico factory has brought forth new possibilities. The Truth About Cars asked if one of the possibilities was adding all-wheel drive to the standard Golf and Muth answered "Yes".

Volkswagen wants to give Subaru a real challenge in the compact class. The Japanese automaker is the only one that offers all-wheel drive on their standard compact models - Impreza and XV Crosstrek.

Source: Car and Driver, The Truth About Cars
    Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

Report Article

The 2-DR GTI will only be missed by stance bro's who want to bag their cars and put 20" Bentley wheels on it, and fanboys who are delusional enough to think the GTI is some almighty sports car.

In reality, they forfeit the inherent practicality of the 4-DR hatch, suffer from uglier looks thanks to their strange proportions, and offer no compelling reason to buy over the 4-DR- they're not even cheaper.

VW needs to get the Scirocco over here. It's gorgeous, and would actually give people a reason to buy it over a 4-DR Golf or GTI, if passenger-hauling is a low priority. I mean, just look at it-

Large%20Image_16.JPG?itok=G3lI_79B

54ca75ca78370_-_vw-scirocco-1-0908.jpg

vs

lead4-2015-vw-gti-fd.jpg

I could see myself moving to a Scirocco in a few years if the Beetle treats me well.  They just need to sell it here!  An I would love it with AWD,

I thought the Scirocco was a bust here when they sold it in the US. :duck:

It came in one of VW's many periods of existential angst as an automotive manufacturer.  You need to remember that people who love European cars universally suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

That disorder where you show affection towards the one abusing you.

...which might also explain why people love certain products....from car makers like Mercedes Benz for example...

The Scirocco would be cool. They couldn't make it AWD though, for fear of stepping on the TT's toes. Keeping it FWD and cheaper would be the right call.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yes, despite my sarcasm I really would lay down coin for one.

The Scirocco is a beauty and I think bringing it may help with the brands lagging sales and the current sting of the diesel issues.

40 minutes ago, Stew said:

Now if we could just convince VWNA of that....but since when has VWNA done anything that seemed rational?

18 hours ago, Stew said:

AWD would be awesome!

On 9/19/2016 at 8:22 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Large%20Image_16.JPG?itok=G3lI_79B

54ca75ca78370_-_vw-scirocco-1-0908.jpg

vs

lead4-2015-vw-gti-fd.jpg

I like the two-door GTI myself as it looks much cleaner than the four-door. Also, I wouldn't bag it or live in the fantasy land that it is the greatest car ever!

15 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I disagree, make it an AWD EV for the US market. This Scirocco would sell big time I think.

They could also bring their midsize pickup in (name escapes me right now), I think that would be a massive hit as well.  While it would be awesome o have with a diesel, I think a lineup or turbo 4s (1.8t and 2.0t) along with the VR6 from the Passat would make this an interesting and popular entry into this rebounding segment.  I think a new van that looks like the original VW van would also bring in quite a few sales.  I mean seriously, who else could do a retro minivan and catch the hearts and minds of the people.  It would have an appeal to those in the segment that don't just want a 2 box minivan.

Admittedly, I may be certifiable ya'll

You may be onto something there. Having a hybrid or EV model at least as an option could help make a stronger business case for it, and could help serve to differentiate it from the Golf.

43 minutes ago, Stew said:

I think this would actually be a huge hit. They would have to make it very very retro though. If nothing else it would be way cool of them..lol

This is already in the works, VW is betting on Electrics big time after the Diesel Fiasco.

6 hours ago, Stew said:

Admittedly, I may be certifiable ya'll

You're not. The Amarok would be a success over here. The truck market is only getting hotter. It's a no-brainer.

As for a neo-VW Microbus, it would sell like wildfire. Dealers wouldn't be able to get them fast enough. My wife would probably deny me physical intimacy until I got her one if they built one.

43 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I agree that the truck would do well, probably the Microbus too, just hope that unlike all past VW buses, they have a proper propulsion system to move them along as they are slower than a slug.

Dude, the VW Bus is all about style and practicality. And style. 8)

13 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

YES. It would bring people in by the droves. I'd be one of them.

Me too.  One can hope VW survives and thrives and decides to bring some interesting iron over ehre.

I love that van concept!  I remember seeing it and wondering why they don't bring it into production.  VW has a storied history they could really build off of if they just would.  Amarok, Scirroco, and a new Microbus would be great starts to building a better, more popular, and more profitable brand.  I also think just scuttling the TDIs is a horrible idea.  Fix the emission issues and get them back out there.  Scandals don't last forever.  Look at the Toyota unintended acceleration and the GM ignition scandal.  The sales hits were few and short.  Imagine a TDI Microbus that gets around 40 MPG with the diesel torque.

Don't need the Diesel torque when the Electric Torque can surpass it. Just think a smooth floored skateboard EV Microbus.

The idea of electric is great for some areas, bu here it isn't feasible yet.  We don't have the infrastructure for it and few if any public charging stations.  I think offering both would be great actually, along with the 2.0T as a base gas engine.  I figure this would be much smaller and lighter than a Pacifica or any of the other more conventional vans so the engines wouldn't need huge power to keep the Microbus moving.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

• Popular Stories

The diesel emission scandal has left Volkswagen battered and bruised. In an effort to try and salvage their image and business, the company is going all in on electric vehicles. Before the start of the Paris Motor Show, Volkswagen revealed the I.D. concept. Volkswagen says this concept when it goes into production in 2020 will be as groundbreaking as the Beetle.
      We don't know much about the I.D. except for some details,
      About the size of a Golf Uses Volkswagen's new Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB) Electric motor produces 125kW Total range between 400 to 600 Kilometers (about 249 to 373 Miles) Not sure if this means the vehicle will feature different battery options Fully autonomous mode for the model coming in 2025 We'll have more details when the I.D. makes its auto show debut tomorrow.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

I.D. – THE WORLD PREMIERE
      Sep 28, 2016
      Paris Motor Show - Mondial de l'Automobile 2016
      World premiere of the I.D. starts the countdown to a new era for Volkswagen Volkswagen plans for the visionary I.D. to hit the road in 2020 An ambassador: the I.D. is the first Volkswagen of a new fleet of electric cars It runs and runs: the I.D. has a range of 400 to 600 kilometres Ready for the future: the I.D. concept car demonstrates a fully automated mode for the year 2025 Key facts – the I.D. in keywords
      1. I.D. is the first Volkswagen in a completely new fleet of highly innovative electric vehicles.
      2. I.D. is immediately recognisable as a zero-emission vehicle thanks to a newly developed design DNA for electric cars.
      3. I.D. is driven by an electric motor with an output of 125 kW and has a range of between 400 and 600 kilometres on a single battery charge.
      4. I.D. has an interior that offers an entirely new spatial experience with the Open Space.
      5. I.D. will be launched as a compact electric car in 2020 parallel to the Golf.
      6. As a concept car, I.D. gives us a first tangible glimpse of fully automated driving – this mode will be offered from 2025 onwards.
      7. I.D. retracts its multifunction steering wheel into the dashpad when in fully automated mode ("I.D. Pilot").
      8. I.D. can receive parcels using a new delivery service, if its owner isn't at home.
      9. I.D. is the first compact Volkswagen based on the Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB).
      10. Volkswagen has set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025.

We don't know much about the I.D. except for some details,
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

I.D. – THE WORLD PREMIERE
      Sep 28, 2016
      Paris Motor Show - Mondial de l'Automobile 2016
      If there is one bright spot in Volkswagen, it has to be their commercial division. Through August, the division has seen sales increase 8.2 percent to 308,500 models. With their success, it should come as no surprise they are considering moving into other markets such as the U.S.
      Eckhard Scholz, Volkswagen's commercial vehicles division CEO tells Reuters that the United States "are still a highly interesting market." A lot of this comes from many commercial vehicle manufacturers operating in the U.S. are taking ideas from their European counterparts. But when asked about possibly selling vehicles in the U.S., Scholz said,
      "A lot of things come to mind but at the moment I have nothing concrete to say."
      Volkswagen's commercial division handles the Caddy, Transporter, and Crafter vans, along with the Amarok pickup.
      This isn't the first time that Volkswagen has considered bringing over some of their commercial vehicles. Last year, then CEO of Volkswagen of America, Michael Horn said the automaker was looking at possibly bringing over one of their vans into the U.S.
      But there is a big elephant in the room; the diesel emission scandal. A fair number of commercial vehicle buyers like diesel engines for fuel economy and the ability to handle heavy loads. But Volkswagen may have a very difficult time trying to get diesel engines certified in the U.S. They might have to go with gas engines for the time being which could limit their appeal.
      Source: Reuters