Edmunds Full Test: '07 Saturn Sky

Posted ImageEdmunds Full Test: 2007 Saturn Sky

Beauty at a Price

--------------------

By Mike Hudson Email | Blog

Date posted: 08-02-2006

At the age of 11, before the 2007 Saturn Sky was a twinkle in Bob Lutz's eye, a young soon-to-be writer was hauled by his father to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. With dad, older brother and the young upstart fighting 100-degree temperatures, the adventurers trudged along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in search of beauty.

Here it was: a sight of crashing waves, striated stone and unblemished flora existing as one entity in a display of brilliant, haunting confluence. A symphony hall and art museum had arisen in the woods miles from anywhere, performing a hypnotic, never-ending improv for anyone who cared to visit.

Filled with hope for mankind, we headed back to the car — a day-and-a-half hike. Beauty faded with a lack of water and dozens of horsefly bites. Fellow hikers grew tiresome. Needless to say, running out of toilet paper had us thinking, "Disney World would be a fun vacation."

Somewhere between then and now, Lutz twinkled and the Saturn Sky convertible was born. Pictured Rocks had been turned into convenient garage-able form.

It is a beautiful sight — beautiful enough to steal customers away from Mazda MX-5 Miatas and Honda S2000s. But as hours in the Sky turn to days, beauty again fades into questions. Why is this ride so rough? Why is the shifter dancing like a novelty Coke can? What is that rattle? Where can I put...anything?

[...Read More]

Posted Image

Overall, not that bad of an article, although below I will comment on some of the writer's points. It just seems that while many other magazines & websites have been gushing over the Solstice and SKY, this one has to seem to put their claws into a successful GM vehicle.

While not a comfort cruiser — it's hard to hear the stereo over the engine at highway speeds

I have not had a problem hearing the stereo at all. Of course GM radios have an automatic volume control feature, which I use in the SKY. It works great and I never have to worry about not hearing my music.

Our tester surprisingly rubbed its rear wheels on the fender liners during launch at the track — a major engineering failure.

Umm, this was a problem on the very early build cars and was fixed at the factory right before my car was built (April) and at the dealers to those delivered already. They really need to do some research.. hhhmmmph, writers!

The Sky's handling is also a bit of a mixed bag. The power rack and pinion delivers somewhat mushy messages about what's going on — the kind of thing that's fine for normal driving, but disconcerting in a pinch.

I think they're totally wrong here... I do push the SKY at times and that car sticks like glue on the road in turns. Even at the dealership when the demo model came in - an ex-racercar driver salesman took me out in it. He REALLY pushed the car, at around 90 mph on a curved road in an office park. That SKY handled and performed great. Of course I didn't buy the SKY for racing (more cruising), so I don't push it as hard as the writer did.

That's easier said than done. Top operation is Soviet design all the way, requiring a key fob button punch, a twist of a handle, an exit from the car, a lift of the hatch, a shove down, an inspection of a tiny hook that can get bent if you're not careful, a second shove for the lid and finally a return to the car. By comparison, you might see a Miata owner put the top down with one hand while stuck in traffic.

Okay, what is this guy smoking? Yes, you have to be out of the car for most of the top down operation. But it takes less than one minute! If I were stuck in traffic - NOT MOVING - I could get out and have the top down before the traffic starts moving again (I'm assuming he's talking about Southern California traffic, which really means I could take my sweet a$$ time to put the top down if stuck in traffic :lol: ) While his steps are pretty much accurate, the top operation is not nearly as horrible as he makes it out to be.

And if you have any baggage — a lunch bag, even — putting the top down destroys what little space the Sky provides. While the Miata offers some actual trunk space — enough for an overnight bag, at least — the Sky offers a space where the top is supposed to be stored. So if the top is up, you've got a luxurious 5.4 cubic feet of space. With the top down, you've got 2 cubic feet.

WRONG! With the top down you can put a duffle bag in there for an overnight trip. While you can't use the side areas with the top down, that 2.0 cubic feet is still available in the very rear - enough for a duffle bag, maybe even two (haven't tried it yet).

Or you can just cram it in the passenger seat. Got a passenger? Try the cubbyhole next to your right shoulder between the seats. Unless you've got something bigger than a stapler...then politely ask your guest to hold the item.

My son has kept two cases of Snapple with him in the front, but that was on a short distance trip. If you really want to take the SKY (or Solstice) on a getaway trip, I'm sure you're passenger won't mind a little baggage for the freedom of an open top roadster. Plus I usually drive solo 99% of the time :P

And at times — like when trying to recline the seats, which requires exiting the car;

WRONG again. You can recline the seats within the vehicle. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do, and it would be better to have the door opened, but I have adjusted the seat while sitting in traffic with the door closed and me still in the car. I do agree that it's not the greatest or easiest feature of this car to use (it's a rotary design rather than a lever).

or stowing a drink behind you (in an auxiliary cupholder that accidentally pops out when you bump it with your elbow during shifts)

Sadly, this is true (even with the auto trans, my elbow from time to time bumps the cupholder tray and it pops out).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my SKY.... and I also knew what I was getting into before I signed on the dotted line. I guess if the writer is basing his arguement that this car is a poor choice as a daily drivers (aka commuter car), then he's on the right track. For me and many other SKY owners, this is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle in the stable and used for pleasure. Hence why I can be more accepting of it's downfalls. If I need more passenger space, I'll take my Malibu. If I need to haul something, I'll take my Envoy. If I want to go out cruising on a beautiful day/night, well then I'll just jump in the SKY and have fun!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I can't wait for the Sky RedLine to come out, and read the reviews for it. :D It seems most of the critics (and buyers) are willing to overlook the impracticality of the car due to its beauty and reasonable performance. Throw a turbo on there, and see what they say...

Overall, not that bad of an article, although below I will comment on some of the writer's points.  It just seems that while many other magazines & websites have been gushing over the Solstice and SKY, this one has to seem to put their claws into a successful GM vehicle.

I have not had a problem hearing the stereo at all.  Of course GM radios have an automatic volume control feature, which I use in the SKY.  It works great and I never have to worry about not hearing my music.

Umm, this was a problem on the very early build cars and was fixed at the factory right before my car was built (April) and at the dealers to those delivered already.  They really need to do some research.. hhhmmmph, writers!

I think they're totally wrong here... I do push the SKY at times and that car sticks like glue on the road in turns.  Even at the dealership when the demo model came in - an ex-racercar driver salesman took me out in it.  He REALLY pushed the car, at around 90 mph on a curved road in an office park.  That SKY handled and performed great.  Of course I didn't buy the SKY for racing (more cruising), so I don't push it as hard as the writer did.

Okay, what is this guy smoking?  Yes, you have to be out of the car for most of the top down operation.  But it takes less than one minute!  If I were stuck in traffic - NOT MOVING - I could get out and have the top down before the traffic starts moving again (I'm assuming he's talking about Southern California traffic, which really means I could take my sweet a$$ time to put the top down if stuck in traffic  :lol: )  While his steps are pretty much accurate, the top operation is not nearly as horrible as he makes it out to be.

WRONG!  With the top down you can put a duffle bag in there for an overnight trip.  While you can't use the side areas with the top down, that 2.0 cubic feet is still available in the very rear - enough for a duffle bag, maybe even two (haven't tried it yet).

My son has kept two cases of Snapple with him in the front, but that was on a short distance trip.  If you really want to take the SKY (or Solstice) on a getaway trip, I'm sure you're passenger won't mind a little baggage for the freedom of an open top roadster.  Plus I usually drive solo 99% of the time  :P

WRONG again.  You can recline the seats within the vehicle.  I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do, and it would be better to have the door opened, but I have adjusted the seat while sitting in traffic with the door closed and me still in the car.  I do agree that it's not the greatest or easiest feature of this car to use (it's a rotary design rather than a lever).

Sadly, this is true (even with the auto trans, my elbow from time to time bumps the cupholder tray and it pops out).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my SKY.... and I also knew what I was getting into before I signed on the dotted line.  I guess if the writer is basing his arguement that this car is a poor choice as a daily drivers (aka commuter car), then he's on the right track.  For me and many other SKY owners, this is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle in the stable and used for pleasure.  Hence why I can be more accepting of it's downfalls.  If I need more passenger space, I'll take my Malibu.  If I need to haul something, I'll take my Envoy.  If I want to go out cruising on a beautiful day/night, well then I'll just jump in the SKY and have fun!

175839[/snapback]

Thanks for the counterpoint - you make some nice points.

I have issues with some of what he said, too. For example:

our 5-speed manual (there is an optional 5-speed automatic available) stifles performance-minded desires with tricky gates, syrupy acceleration and a shifter that bobs and weaves like a prizefighter.

This is similar to (or the same as) the Aisin 5-speed in the Ion Redline, right? Cause that thing is nothing like he described, with short accurate throws and a nice feel and weight to it.

That said, several of his gripes are legitimate, especially when compared to the Miata. The top (it's not bad, but the Miata's is a one-armed affair you can drop without exiting the car), the ergonomics (cupholders aren't a dealbreaker, but that's a pretty dumb placement) and the trunkspace (why so inefficient compared to the MX-5?).

Are any of these deal breakers? Depends on the person. However, you can't argue that these areas are clearly inferior to its competition at this point.

I'd still take a Sky (or a Solstice, for that matter) over a MX-5, and this is coming from a current Mazda owner.

-RBB

Speaking of trunk space, I'd love to see someone come out with something like this:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A3098A0A0.aspx

Posted Image

that was custom-designed to match the Sky/Solstice body - like a fiberglass shell instead of plastic, painted body color, and designed to echo the body style of the car. That way, if you really wanted to take your Sky cross-country, you could have enough room for a suitcase or two and still look stylin' - and when you're cruising around town, you can remove it for a cleaner look.

-RBB

The gripes are only significant if you're looking at a roadster like this as a daily driver/only car, which most people aren't. To someone is my life situation, minus the upcoming child, the MX-5 makes a lot more sense. All 3 are sporty 4cyl roadsters but the MX-5 allows for roadtrips of more than two days, and would allow my girlfriend to go shopping with me without having to set all of the bags on her lap.

The SKY looks amazing inside and out but his gripes may be correct. Water leaking in with the top up is bad, as is the shifter performance and ergonomic flaws. Trunk space should not be a huge issue, though.

The SKY and Solstice were rushed, correct? I wish GM would have taken a little bit more time to correct such flaws/missteps.

There is no question, the Sky is a beautiful roadster and fun too. I've driven it. But....it will always have an identity crisis. This is no Saturn. Saturn to me will always have the image of cars for people who don't really like cars. This car should never have been badged a Saturn. It doesn't fit. It deserves better.