Blurple 'Bu Been Tinted

Walt, if you don't mind telling me, where did you get this done at? I've been really interested in getting my '04 Malibu sedan's rear doors and rear windshield tinted - but don't know a reliable place to take it. How professional does the job look? What exactly did they do to the windows - apply a film or something else? TIA! :cheers:

how's the gas milege fairing?

181577[/snapback]

Tinting your windows improves your MPG?

Oh snap 'G' I be tinting the Super 88 like right now if that's fo' real. :P

Looks good. 80% black 20% transparent is like

cop car & stretched limo tint only in this state.

Tinting your windows improves your MPG?

Oh snap 'G' I be tinting the Super 88 like right now if that's fo' real. :P

Looks good. 80% black 20% transparent is like

cop car & stretched limo tint only in this state.

181778[/snapback]

smart ass! <_<:P

still looks great 8)

Ok, as far as mileage is concerned... I drive 24 miles one way and it takes me 55 minutes (usualy) which gives you a fair idea of how much traffic and red lights (I count 32 traffic lights for my trip), so I average 25 miles an hour to work. Plus I've been a little hard on the car for the first month and just learning where the power is and how it like being driven in bumper to bumper traffic. That being said, I am averaging, as per the car computer, 19 mpg. I know that I can do better, just have to adopt a better drving style to do it.

The 3900 sounds OK. You have to remember that I am used to the Z28 with the Magnaflows, so nothing can compare to that. I'd rather have a V-8... I only have 3 years to wait.

I like the MAXX SS otherwise. Everthing seems screwed together tight. The thing rides great, handles great (the more aggressive tires do make a difference... the car is actualy fun to drive into corners with no tire squeal) and I do get a lot of curious lookers. The guy at the tint place said that he had never seen one before. Since I have had the car for over a month, I have only passed 1 other Malibu SS (it was a sedan) so my Blurple MAXX SS stands out a little.

Next is a cold-air kit and maybe I'll paint the engine cover Blurple...

Posted Image

Also... I had the tint done at Auto Image in East Brunswick. I received some good references from a guy who does custom bikes and pinstriping and said they were a good place. I have an appointment to go back next Thursday for them to ensure that the tint flim has cured correctly, which is see as a good thing that they check their work. It seems like a good job. I'll have a better idea once the film cures and I get the A-OK from the place. They have stores in Brick, Raritan, Woodbridge, Edison and Freehold too, but I know you are a bit more south than that. Don't know if that helps Roger.

Thanks Walt for posting that information. Freehold is the closest, about a 45 minute drive for me, so I guess that's the location I'd choose over the Edison, Woodbridge or East Brunswick faclities. If you have any contact info, would you please send it to me by e-mail? TIA!

Please post back after they have completed their assessment, as I'd like to know if they found any problems. With the baby, I'd like to get the backseat windows tinted to keep him cooler.... plus it would help to keep the car cooler in the summer anyway. But I don't know af any reputable shops in my area, nor anyone that has had the job done to recommend a place. The last thing I want is to spend the $$$ and have a crappy job done.

Also, how dark is the 20%? Is that the legal limit in NJ? I'd like to get it as dark as I could, but light enough for the rear passengers to still see out the window at night. Anyone know what the % is on factory-installed tint windows (like on my '05 Envoy)???

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

20% is about what an SUV is tinted from factory they told me. There is a darker 5%, but that is Limo dark - basically at night, you wouldn't be able to see much out of the rear window, so 20% was the right darkness. 30% you were able to see into the car from the outside. What I have now, you would have to cup your hands around the glass to see inside... which is the way I like it.

Next Thursday I'll send you an update on how the glass came out and give you the #/Website is everything is done right.

Thanks Walt, I appreciate you doing that for me. I'd love to get the windows tinted soon. I don't understand why window tinting isn't a factory option on passenger cars like it is on SUVs and pickups? And I don't understand why dealerships don't offer this service aftermarket, like they do with pinstripes, VIN etching, and other stuff? This is one aftermarket option, assuming it's done right, I'd actually be interested in purchasing! Anyway, I look forward to your update later this week.

That's beautiful!! I was just about to post that I saw a Maxx SS just like yours yesterday- I love it! Pretty quick, right? Feels strong? Congrats and enjoy, very nice!

Thanks Gus... It's a strong puller...

Roger - The door window tint started to bubble, so when I took it back to them on Thurs, they re-tinted both doors.

Now you can look at that as a good thing or a bad thing - Good that they check their work and have no problem fixing it if it is wrong (I didn't even have to ask the guy to fix it, he just said "We have to redo those windows") Bad that it wasn't done right the first time.

Now I have to keep my windows rolled up another week and go back next Thurs to have it checked again.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update Rog,

Since the tinters are going to be different if you go to a different store, then we would have to grade the place on how it handles business. Since they ask you to come back to check the timt, that's a good thing. When the tint had some bubbles in it, they did not hessitate to replace what was wrong. When I brought it back again, everything looked good and I rolled down the windows while the guy was standing there to make sure nothing went wrong that they could blame on me.

So even though they had to do the rear windows twice, they were very good about the whole process.

Auto Image - http://www.autoimage.com

They are on Rt 9 in Freehold