Cadillac and Fuel Economy

The O.C.

I posted on my thread in The Lounge but didn't know if people would see it there.

I checked out my new CTS at the dealership last night (haven't taken delivery quite yet) and noticed that my car ('07 3.6L Sport with 6-speed manual) is rated at only 17 city/26 highway.

That seems pretty crappy for a V6.....especially one with a manual tranny that probably has a pretty tall geared sixth gear.

I don't really care.....but it just seems way low. Hell, my C6 is rated at 18/28....but that's an '06.

I'm really thinking this has more to do with the new testing methods that I think were instituted by the EPA for '07 testing....?

(BTW....the car is HOT...!)

that's only 1mpg difference from my car's rating.

181832[/snapback]

I know....but it's LOWER....when usually manuals are a bit HIGHER.....

And I know you guys hate to hear this....but isn't the new V6 Camry rated at like 30 or 31mpg on the highway?

The (255hp) 530i manual I was looking at was rated 20/30 (and that WAS an '07 model at that......).....ALOT better than the CTS 3.6L....

Like I said....maybe it's the new testing methods. In any event 17/27 for the automatic isn't anything to brag about either....

Edited by The O.C.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. The GTO's rating with a 4-speed auto is 16/25 (though I get 14MPG city) and the manual is 17/25, and that's with 400HP.

The BMW's engine is smaller (even if it's as powerful) so that's probably why it gets better MPG.

When DI comes on board I think it should be getting 300HP and 30MPG highway (I don't remember though what the MPG increase is).

The (255hp) 530i manual I was looking at was rated 20/30 (and that WAS an '07 model at that......).....ALOT better than the CTS 3.6L....

Just curious, why did you choose the Cadillac over the BMW?

BTW, I had an '03 525i and averaged 17.5 (city). I always thought the MPG was a little low (have no idea what the EPA rating was) but that car did what I wanted it to do...which was handle like a sports seadan should.

Just curious, why did you choose the Cadillac over the BMW? 

BTW, I had an '03 525i and averaged 17.5 (city).  I always thought the MPG was a little low (have no idea what the EPA rating was) but that car did what I wanted it to do...which was handle like a sports seadan should.

182641[/snapback]

I wanted a 5-series......but the payment for a loaded 530i was going to be ~ $250/month more than the CTS.....and I wasn't ready to foot that kind of payment.

Cost be no object, I would have paid it and gotten the 5-series. But not at this time.

I would have gotten a loaded 330i, but seems to be the favorite "chick-mobile" of southern California right now.

The CTS is more of an "edgy" decision.....a bit more rare.....and it's still a great car.

I wanted a 5-series......but the payment for a loaded 530i was going to be ~ $250/month more than the CTS.....and I wasn't ready to foot that kind of payment.

183063[/snapback]

Again, just out of curiosity.....is that for a lease or purchase? $250 is a big difference. I would have chosen the Caddy as well....

So what are the new testing methods you're talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

Again, just out of curiosity.....is that for a lease or purchase?  $250 is a big difference.  I would have chosen the Caddy as well.... 

So what are the new testing methods you're talking about?

183213[/snapback]

It's a lease.

Money-no-object (or less-of-an-object) I would have taken the 5-series.

That being said, I'm quite thrilled with the CTS.

The new testing methods refers to the EPA changing the way they test for their EPA numbers.....which has somewhat diminished their ratings compared to last year. (Hybrids are supposedly hurt much worse.)

My first full tank of gas in the CTS netted me 17.5mpg.....with a mix of I'd say 65% freeway, 35% in-town driving. (In the exact same commute, I was averaging between 18-20 with my '06 Corvette.)

The second tank, however, seems to be doing a bit better......

Edited by The O.C.

just did a Pittsburgh to Lancaster and back run last weekend....

28.5 mpg average @ 75mph cruise, 65mph cruise between Allegheny tunnel and Blue Mountain tunnel <the most mountainous section>.

187502[/snapback]

OK....I don't mean to :deadhorse:

....but I'm going to anyways.....

SECOND tank........15mpg.

First was 17.5, second was 15.0......

Now....I LOVE this f :censored: cking car.....I really do. But the gas mileage SUCKS!

I should have gotten a v-Series......

PLEASE realize that I drive the car very conservatively.....short shifting....with at LEAST 50% of my driving being freeway with little stop-and-go.

i'm getting barely 260-270 miles on a tank.

My C6 is consistently getting better mileage than my V6 CTS.

I'm HOPING it's due to the engine still being so green (600+ miles on it.)

:duh:

OK....I don't mean to  :deadhorse:

Now....I LOVE this f  :censored: cking car.....I really do.  But the gas mileage SUCKS!

PLEASE realize that I drive the car very conservatively.....short shifting....with at LEAST 50% of my driving being freeway with little stop-and-go.

189883[/snapback]

gotta be something wrong with the:

a. car

b. driver

I have to *try* to get 15mpg in mine... with it in sport mode ALL the time and me driving it like I stole it.

I rented a CTS on my last business trip. I think it had the 2.8 becouse it was kind of guttless. Anyway it was a very quiet and smooth ride with only a very small amount of undesireable engine noise at full thottle. I really liked the CTS but the gas mielage was less than expected at 18.5 overall. This was some city but mostly freeway trips of 20 or so miles at a time. The car was well broken in with 11,xxx miles on the odo.

Wow, hopefully the mileage improves as it gets broken in.  My Sierra with the 5.3 and 4wd gets 15 in normal/combined driving.  My 6 speed 330i gets 28...though the need for premium dulls the cost advantage a bit.

189952[/snapback]

yea if its any consilation prize, my 3500 gets 10-12 city-highway and thats hauling ass! barreling down at 80mph

gotta be something wrong with the:

a. car

b. driver

189924[/snapback]

whatEVER......

<_<

Seriously though......I'm chalking it up to the engine still being VERY green.....

I'm driving very conservatively and 70% freeway driving......

I averaged low-20's in the Mazda6 manual that I had....and that WAS driving it like I stole it (it was a company car).....and I averaged low-20's with both my 3-series (also with manuals.)

Thing is....I don't remember either of them exhibiting such a drastic difference in mpg from a "green" engine to being "broken in."

• 3 weeks later...

OK....I don't mean to  :deadhorse:

Now....I LOVE this f  :censored: cking car.....I really do.  But the gas mileage SUCKS!

189883[/snapback]

:scratchchin: how about that, the old dated antiquated L67 gets 23 everyday of the week in a real full size full luxury antiquated car chassis...........damn pushrods ? Inferior pushrod, new engine that should never exist still manages 25 everyday of the week in midsize sports sedan with low final drive ratio, though a bit of a dog compared to the engine it replaced............. :scratchchin:

First post here:

My '06 CTS Sport with the 18" wheel package averaged 25.5 back and forth to work 85% highway 70 mph and on a 50/50 split gets about 21.3 mpg. Thats on a new engine < 2000 miles.

Posted Image

Edited by mjdart

O.C. maybe you shouldn't drive it like it's your 'Vette.

It sounds like the above poster does about the same as me. My last long distance run returned greater than 28mpg... and I wasn't gentle.

Currently around town, I'm doing about 24... don't know how I'm managing that, but still.

O.C. maybe you shouldn't drive it like it's your 'Vette. 

It sounds like the above poster does about the same as me. My last long distance run returned greater than 28mpg... and I wasn't gentle.

Currently around town, I'm doing about 24... don't know how I'm managing that, but still.

197071[/snapback]

Ther si no way you'll get 24 MPG in city from the CTS.

Ther si no way you'll get 24 MPG in city from the CTS.

197152[/snapback]

I said "around town" didn't I?

Usually in the city, if I'm driving a lot downtown, I get about 18mpg. But I have found the glory of the East Busway here in Pitt that puts me in downtown in 30 mins while listening to my iPod and reading a book for the mere price of $60 a month.

Now, that means the remainder of my trips are leisure.... and for some reason, on this tank, I'm getting 24mpg and it's 3/4 of the way gone.

I said "around town" didn't I?

Usually in the city, if I'm driving a lot downtown, I get about 18mpg. But I have found the glory of the East Busway here in Pitt that puts me in downtown in 30 mins while listening to my iPod and reading a book for the mere price of $60 a month.

Now, that means the remainder of my trips are leisure.... and for some reason, on this tank, I'm getting 24mpg and it's 3/4 of the way gone.

197154[/snapback]

You better keep buying gas from the same gas station. :)