Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The User Ignore Feature: Use it, don't abuse it

In the past couple weeks, the moderating team has noticed that some members who have chosen to ignore others have decided to post screen shots of the page that says "you have chosen to ignore _________." This is highly frowned upon, as it creates nothing but tension between members, and it is rather childish. We would like to issue a fair warning to everyone about this, so that everyone knows that posting something along these lines is unacceptable.

Thank you,

The Moderating Team.

I guess it's a neat-o function, but personally, I'll never use it, and if had my way, no one else would.

Just coming from psychology, being able to block out other people's opinions, especially on a internet forum can become problematic. It can cause "group polarization" which often occurs in politically charged forums, and possibly Mopar boards :P .

I notice people block Buickman. Although I don't always agree with his points, he is entitled to voice his opinion, and it should be read, so it can be rebut, expanded upon, or agreed with.

Sheltering yourself from outside voices, no matter how stupid or wrong you think they are might not sound like a big deal at first, but it doesn't do much good for the site IMO.

My 0.02.

I notice people block Buickman. Although I don't always agree with his points, he is entitled to voice his opinion, and it should be read, so it can be rebut, expanded upon, or agreed with.

194982[/snapback]

There are different opinions and then there are scratched, skipping CDs.

Buickman is the later.

I could never block some since somtimes they just make a couple bad posts but the other ones are informing. So i see it as useless. But it is very rude to post a screen shot of you blocking someone. Except in oldsmoboi's case.

And WMJ im actually going to do that today see if i can use CC in reverse.

I could never block some since somtimes they just make a couple bad posts but the other ones are informing. So i see it as useless. But it is very rude to post a screen shot of you blocking someone. Except in oldsmoboi's case.

And WMJ im actually going to do that today see if i can use CC in reverse.

195009[/snapback]

:hijacked:

Keep in mind that CC doesn't activate until you hit at least 25mph

:hijacked:

Keep in mind that CC doesn't activate until you hit at least 25mph

195012[/snapback]

Not true in a ford Aerostar. you can accelerate from a dead stop with cruise.

But my idle speed is like cruise in the morning have to ride the brakes on Masonic Blv. to keep it at 30. And no I dont have the Choke. continue deisscussion in here. http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=12014

Anyway to stay on topic keep Users you block to yourself.

Edited by capriceman

Oh... hi, guys. :D

Sorry. Freedom of speech allows me to post screenshots of how I've blocked Razoredge. It's not insulting. It's not offending. It's not worse than reading Buickman's hate ramblings about Rick Wagoner or the endless, mindless, and blind hatred for Toyota and other Japanese brands posted throughout the site. Sometimes, a post with including it is more relevant than half the dribble people post about. I've seen people do the same with Buickman and even have those screenshots in their signatures. The difference is? Suddenly I do it with a different memeber and its wrong. Suddenly I do it and Northie, the one with the problem with it, posts a thread about it... Not to mention delete a post of mine because of it. I call power abusage over a little personal annoyance. And being that members like Buickman and Razoredge, who are nothing more than trolls here to cause trouble, one of which has personally offended me, are still allowed to post here is mind boggling. I've reported posts, like you're supposed to, and I haven't seen anything done about it, let alone get a simple response. The way I see it, I'm entitled to my opinion and free speech. Unless that's something C&G doesn't respect... So, until I suddenly don't have those rights anymore, don't expect anything to change.

Sorry. Freedom of speech allows me to post screenshots of how I've blocked Razoredge.

195307[/snapback]

This is a privately owned board. There is no implied freedom of speech here. Fly can delete every one of your posts and you have no legal recourse what so ever.

Follow the rules BV.

Sorry. Freedom of speech allows me to post screenshots of how I've blocked Razoredge. It's not insulting. It's not offending. It's not worse than reading Buickman's hate ramblings about Rick Wagoner or the endless, mindless, and blind hatred for Toyota and other Japanese brands posted throughout the site. Sometimes, a post with including it is more relevant than half the dribble people post about. I've seen people do the same with Buickman and even have those screenshots in their signatures. The difference is? Suddenly I do it with a different memeber and its wrong. Suddenly I do it and Northie, the one with the problem with it, posts a thread about it... Not to mention delete a post of mine because of it. I call power abusage over a little personal annoyance. And being that members like Buickman and Razoredge, who are nothing more than trolls here to cause trouble, one of which has personally offended me, are still allowed to post here is mind boggling. I've reported posts, like you're supposed to, and I haven't seen anything done about it, let alone get a simple response.  The way I see it, I'm entitled to my opinion and free speech. Unless that's something C&G doesn't respect... So, until I suddenly don't have those rights anymore, don't expect anything to change.

195307[/snapback]

The fact that we have people called Moderators means we DON'T have free speech here. If we had free speech here, all those people who come in and post ads would be welcomed, not banned.

You really want free speech on here? I don't.

Well, there's more to my post than just a simple thing about free speech.

Free speech = I get post that and Razor gets to continue to berate people since that's all he does. No free speech, I don't and Razor get's whats coming to him. I'm sick of it and how he's allowed to run around insulting and offending people. It's supposedly not allowed here and I've reported his posts, with not even a simple response or action. This is more about lackluster performance of the moderators. They can bitch about this, but not take action? This would be my complaint. Do something or don't expect change from me. Simple as that.

Sorry. Freedom of speech allows me to post screenshots of how I've blocked Razoredge. It's not insulting. It's not offending. It's not worse than reading Buickman's hate ramblings about Rick Wagoner or the endless, mindless, and blind hatred for Toyota and other Japanese brands posted throughout the site. Sometimes, a post with including it is more relevant than half the dribble people post about. I've seen people do the same with Buickman and even have those screenshots in their signatures. The difference is? Suddenly I do it with a different memeber and its wrong. Suddenly I do it and Northie, the one with the problem with it, posts a thread about it... Not to mention delete a post of mine because of it. I call power abusage over a little personal annoyance. And being that members like Buickman and Razoredge, who are nothing more than trolls here to cause trouble, one of which has personally offended me, are still allowed to post here is mind boggling. I've reported posts, like you're supposed to, and I haven't seen anything done about it, let alone get a simple response.

195307[/snapback]

You're rather contradictory in your claim of "Freedom of Speech." You claim you can post whatever the hell you want, but at the same time, you use a tool to prohibit Razoredge from speaking what he wants to you? So, obviously this site does not have total freedom of speech, otherwise we wouldn't have such a thing as the User Ignore Feature, would we?

Yes, I deleted your post, and yes I posted a thread about it. But first, I posted a thread about it in the admin forum, and others agreed that it should not be tolerated.

And BTW, no one has Freedom of Speech here. Not you. Not me. No one. If I feel a fellow admin posts something that doesn't need to be on the board, I won't hestitate to delete it, and I'm pretty certain that if I were to post something that they did not feel should be tolerated, they would delete it as well.

The way I see it, I'm entitled to my opinion and free speech. Unless that's something C&G doesn't respect... So, until I suddenly don't have those rights anymore, don't expect anything to change.

You have the ability to post what you want, so long as the moderators/admins see fit. If we don't think it's reasonable for someone to post this or that, then we'll let everyone know about it and everyone can be fairly warned. So, you don't have the right of freedom of speech on C&G, you have the right of freedom of approved speech. So, now that you know you don't have free speec, maybe you should change.

I've never used C&G's user ignore feature.  The one in my brain works better.

194904[/snapback]

Well said.

You're rather contradictory in your claim of "Freedom of Speech." You claim you can post whatever the hell you want, but at the same time, you use a tool to prohibit Razoredge from speaking what he wants to you? So, obviously this site does not have total freedom of speech, otherwise we wouldn't have such a thing as the User Ignore Feature, would we?

Yes, I deleted your post, and yes I posted a thread about it. But first, I posted a thread about it in the admin forum, and others agreed that it should not be tolerated.

And BTW, no one has Freedom of Speech here. Not you. Not me. No one. If I feel a fellow admin posts something that doesn't need to be on the board, I won't hestitate to delete it, and I'm pretty certain that if I were to post something that they did not feel should be tolerated, they would delete it as well.

You have the ability to post what you want, so long as the moderators/admins see fit. If we don't think it's reasonable for someone to post this or that, then we'll let everyone know about it and everyone can be fairly warned. So, you don't have the right of freedom of speech on C&G, you have the right of freedom of approved speech. So, now that you know you don't have free speec, maybe you should change.

195580[/snapback]

Duh duh duuuuh... Read my last post. It wasn't meant to be anything but contradictory.

"Free speech = I get post that and Razor gets to continue to berate people since that's all he does. No free speech, I don't and Razor get's whats coming to him. I'm sick of it and how he's allowed to run around insulting and offending people. It's supposedly not allowed here and I've reported his posts, with not even a simple response or action. This is more about lackluster performance of the moderators. They can bitch about this, but not take action? This would be my complaint. Do something or don't expect change from me. Simple as that."

So which it is?

This is very simple.

Ignore who you want, but keep it to yourself.

If you can't follow that, I don't know what to tell you.

195583[/snapback]

Except... No one ever had a problem with it until I did it. What the f@#k gives?

Seriously guys. Your moderation of this forum is becoming quite laughable. I'm not going to stoop to someone like Josh's levels, but let's just say I expect better and it was there in the past. I think a 12 year old could do a better job.

Duh duh duuuuh... Read my last post. It wasn't meant to be anything but contradictory.

"Free speech = I get post that and Razor gets to continue to berate people since that's all he does. No free speech, I don't and Razor get's whats coming to him. I'm sick of it and how he's allowed to run around insulting and offending people. It's supposedly not allowed here and I've reported his posts, with not even a simple response or action. This is more about lackluster performance of the moderators. They can bitch about this, but not take action? This would be my complaint. Do something or don't expect change from me. Simple as that."

So which it is?

195683[/snapback]

How do you know if any response or action has been taken? Maybe the moderators did not respond back to you, but rather responded about it to Razor? Or maybe they took action by warning Razor, and you wouldn't have any knowledge of whether he's been warned or not because you can't see his warning level. Hmmm....

Don't assume that the moderators have taken no action based simply on the fact that you didn't get a response back. You can't see Razor's PM box, and you can't see his warning level, so how do you know that no action has been taken?

Except... No one ever had a problem with it until I did it. What the f@#k gives?

Seriously guys. Your moderation of this forum is becoming quite laughable. I'm not going to stoop to someone like Josh's levels, but let's just say I expect better and it was there in the past. I think a 12 year old could do a better job.

Actually, I never had a problem with it until I saw it happening in multipul instances. Your post just happened to be the one that finally made me decide that enough childish horse$h! was enough, and therefore I deleted your post. Then, I decided that sense multipul people had done it, a warning to the whole community needed to be made. If you were the only one who had done it, I would have sent you a PM about it. Instead, you should have taken this thread to be your PM, just like everyone else should.

If you're so tired of the way this place is run, then leave. Seriously. Go start your own forum so you can moderate it the way you think it should be moderated, with free speech and all. Then, go find a bunch of 12 year olds and assign them moderator positions, and see how they do. Finally, go find some people that are known enemies, and have them carry on conversations with each other, but make sure that they don't get in any fights with each other. If they do, make sure you make the right decesion on who to warn, but if you don't make everyone happy, then YOU"RE FIRED!

How do you know if any response or action has been taken? Maybe the moderators did not respond back to you, but rather responded about it to Razor? Or maybe they took action by warning Razor, and you wouldn't have any knowledge of whether he's been warned or not because you can't see his warning level. Hmmm....

Don't assume that the moderators have taken no action based simply on the fact that you didn't get a response back. You can't see Razor's PM box, and you can't see his warning level, so how do you know that no action has been taken?

Well, based on the fact that he still does it, I would have never been able to notice in the first place. Still, I would expect a response from reporting posts. A simple "We'll discuss it in the mod forum" or a "We'll talk to him about it" or "We'll make sure it doesnt happen again." Is that honestly so hard?

Actually, I never had a problem with it until I saw it happening in multipul instances. Your post just happened to be the one that finally made me decide that enough childish horse$h! was enough, and therefore I deleted your post. Then, I decided that sense multipul people had done it, a warning to the whole community needed to be made. If you were the only one who had done it, I would have sent you a PM about it. Instead, you should have taken this thread to be your PM, just like everyone else should.

Yet someone with it in their signature, that shows up with each and every one of his posts was any better? So when I do it, which so far adds up to only about 4 or so posts, you finally notice it and take action. That's my problem. So what gives? I just want an answer other than more excuses.

If you're so tired of the way this place is run, then leave. Seriously. Go start your own forum so you can moderate it the way you think it should be moderated, with free speech and all. Then, go find a bunch of 12 year olds and assign them moderator positions, and see how they do. Finally, go find some people that are known enemies, and have them carry on conversations with each other, but make sure that they don't get in any fights with each other. If they do, make sure you make the right decesion on who to warn, but if you don't make everyone happy, then YOU"RE FIRED!

It isn't being run that badly. Don't be so sensitive. I simply think a better job could be done. There are how many different mods? And how many actually do something? You, Fly, Z, and Variance from my perspective. Nothing personal against the others, but where improvements could be made, they could fill in there. We've seen others complain of the front page not being updated enough. I'm complaining of the poor response to members as well as poor job in keeping member's disciplined. There are other minor things as well. I'm just saying...

195694[/snapback]

I will thank you for finally handing over some answers instead of usual excuses on your part, lack of explaination on Fly's part, and general "just do it" attitude of the entire moderation team. See how much easier it is? Could have saved a bunch of argueing. There are still a few more things needing answers however.

BV: I always respond to reported posts and PMs, I didn't get any from you.

We all support you, and try to assist you with your various trials. Please try to assist us when we take general actions about conduct on the forums. As has been said before, this was an action taken in response to an increase in the behaviour in question, not an action taken specifically because of you. We wanted to nip it in the bud so it didn't become some screenshot war.

All of us have members here with whom we clash, myself included, tolerance is how we cope. As moderators/admins we have to walk a thin line sometimes and we do our best to be fair. Sometimes not taking the bait is the best way to handle a conflict. Both you and Razor add a flavor to this site which I and the rest of the staff value highly, conflict diminishes you both.

Simply put: Please play nice.

And, feel free to contact any of us with your concerns - I, for one, promise a response.