Luxury cruise ships sail the Great Lakes

VenSeattle

Luxury cruise ships, nearly absent from the Great Lakes since the rise of the automobile, are returning to the country's inland seas. Midwestern port towns have never looked so exotic.

Continue to read here...

GREAT LAKES CRUISE CO., 888/891-0203;
www.greatlakescruising.com
Eight-day cruise from Milwaukee to Toronto aboard Le Levant from $3,599 per person, double.

one of the tours available:

Chicago, Illinois to Toronto, Ontario

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beau-T-ful!

When I came across this I was actually amazed that it wasn't a normal attraction. It seems almost brainless to recognize the market for this.

I hope this helps to improve the image of Chicago, Cleveland, & Detroit and maybe rekindle their appeal. I don't believe the current crop of East and West coast people ever give them credit for being "waterfront" cities... and discredit them from having any type of sophistication to offer their populations.

Chicago

Posted Image

Detroit

Posted Image

Cleveland

Posted Image

I dont think Chicago has nearly the negative stigma that Detroit has. The whole "murder capital of the U.S." thing is pretty bad for Detroit, even if it isn't currently the city with the highest crime rate, its still up there and people cant just ignore that. Cleveland....do people actually have an opinion about Cleveland? I thought it was like vanilla ice cream. Just there, nobody really likes it but nobody really hates it. I dont know, I dont see many people willing to brag about taking a cruise, then having to tell people they spent a beautiful day in Detroit, followed by one in Cleveland and ended up in Toronto. They offer another cruise that goes through Duluth. How exciting. I'm sorry but if I'm spending that kind of time on a boat, its either going to have Alaska's scenery or the Carribean's beaches.

While I'd enjoy visiting some of the cities shown on the map, particularly Toronto, the cost is prohibitive. One of my step-sons is getting married on the Star Princess (Caribbean) in November. The cost is about $600 per person for a balcony stateroom double and $750 for the second step-son in his own inside cabin. Air fare is $115 roundtrip from Chicago (Midway) to Ft. Lauterdale. Cost for the whole wedding party will be less than the cost of one ticket on the Great lakes Cruise. It's the Caribbean for me until the Great Lakes price goes down.