Need help: Parts of brakes

Northstar

For one of my classes (ME 170 - CAD) we have to do a final design project (this is still quite a ways away though) and I was thinking maybe I could design some new disc brake and demonstrate how using 6 piston calipers is better than 4 piston calipers, etc. Anyways, I'm having trouble finding any websites with detailed descriptions of each part. This isn't a "this is the disc, this is the caliper" type of design. We have to create an engineering model of the brake, with all of the parts, even the smallest ones, and even the parts that connect to it (in this case from the brake pedal) to make it work.

So, if anyone knows of a site that would have this sort of info, I'd appreciate it.

I saw that. It's helpful but not really what I need. I have to design all the parts inside of the parts, too. Of course, this is only if I decide to do a disc brake, and it could prove to complex to even bother with.

I did do some more searching there and it does have some more complex explanations with more parts, but I don't think it has everything I need.

This reminds me of my CAD class... we had the exact same project to do, except we chose a much, much simpler part: a butterfly valve! I think I made the flap, which was basically a disc with two holes in it!

How about doing a 3-piece wheel? Universal joint?

What software are you guys using? Back in my day it was Auto CAD R14 and Mechanical Autodesk.

We're using Pro-Engineer Wildfire 3.0.

It doesn't have to be as complex as a brake, that just popped into my mind as a possibility. For instance, he showed us what someone did last year... a roller blade.

The mountain bike disc brake doesn't look that much similar except maybe in the part that makes it operate. Really, I think I can make the disc part pretty easily, it's basically two round parts that don't have much depth and (if I want to make them cross-drilled or slotted) holes or slots. It's the parts inside the calipers and the part connecting to it that actually tells it to squeeze down that I'm worried about. It might be hard to get the geometry right for the mountain bike disc brake because it's not a circle.

OK, first Im going to say ...........cool ! I know this is simply a project but

then Im going to go smash my head into a concrete block :banghead:

its the one more is better, thing again

there is a term, its a very old term

Overkill !

Good luck with the project though

the peddle pads connected to the........peddle

the peddles connected to the...........pushrod

the pushrods connected to the............piston

the pistons part of the ..............master

OK everybody now ! Put yo hands together and join in !

the masters bolted to the ..........firewall

the firewalls part of the ...........chassis

Hey, Im really gettin a groove going

see what happens when you put your head into some good old concrete.....

A coil-over wouldn't be too difficult. Also, this doesn't have to be something automotive, it's just that I thought doing some part of a car would be cool.

I think I may just ask the professor if he thinks a disc brake would be too complex. Also, I'm going to be paired with another person in my class, so if he/she doesn't want to do a brake then I might not do it anyways.

all right, lets see, parts of the Disc brake system. Starting from the wheel: Brake rotor, brake pads, Brake Caliper (parts inside consist of Brake Caliper Piston(s), Brake Caliper Piston Seal(s), Bleeder Screw, Banjo Bolt, Two (2) Copper Gaskets to seal brake line to caliper) Then you have the Brake Hose going to the frame (rubber, flexible, with fittings at each end). Attaching the Caliper to the Vehicle are Brake Caliper Guide Pins, which normally run through a set of bushings to help support and guide the caliper. Now jumping back to the lines. After your rubber line, you have a bendable, yet hard steel line that runs up to the Master Cylinder (assuming you're doing a vehicle without ABS). Inside the master cylinder, you have of course the Master Cylinder itself, its Reservoir (sp?), then you have a piston inside the Master Cylinder and its sealing washers/o-rings. At the back of the Master Cylinder, you have flange that bolts to the Power Brake Booster (again, assuming you have power brakes). Then you have the Booster, it consists of two metal buckets (essentially) crimped together, with a diaphragm (probably rubber) inside it. Attached to the outside of the booster is a plastic fitting that allows vacuum to be drawn from the engine. Attached to the Booster diaphragm there is a pushrod that leads to the back of the Brake Pedal. From there you've got the Brake pedal arm, which comes down to a foot at the bottom where you have your Brake Pedal Pad. I think that's about everything I can possibly think of. If I missed something, y'all let me know.

You know those drawings of heads found in that one thread in the Camaro forum? If you have to make a comparison, why not do something based on DOHC vs. SOHC vs. OHV or something? That wouldn't be too difficult (I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence by assuming you understand how the engine works).. However, that may be a lot of pieces to create, unless you're allowed to create just different sets of heads...

OH! Maybe do a 2-valve vs. 3-valve head comparison? Then use the same parts over while just changing a few small things by adding the extra valve...

Okay, I'm probably overthinking it. It's 3.5 hours before I'm supposed to wake up to leave for college.. gimme a break.