Saw the new Tundra

So we went to the annual Topsfield Fair in MA today, which is sponsored by Toyota. I saw a Yaris and an FJ Cruiser, but what really cought my eye was a Tundra prototype. I have to admit, in person it looks much better and less ungainly than in any of the photis. I still think the headlights seem a bit small for the truck, but oh well. So I start asking the Toyota Representative about the truck. I ask if he knows how much HP the 5.7 liter V8 has. He says they haven't released official numbers yet, but in a comarison test with the Silverado, F-150, an Ram 1500 Laramie with a "5.6 liter Hemi" it beat them "by like 8 cars spaces" to 60 mph. I had to point out that the Hemi was 5.7 liters...

I would have asked more prying questions but we were getting ready to leave cuz of the rain. If we go back next weekend I'll be sure to pry more.

So any questions I should ask? :P

Edited by Dodgefan

8 car spaces? For some reason I think that's a bit of an exxageration. 8 car spaces is a lot in a quarter mile, much less 0-60. That'd be more than 1 car length per second.

199955[/snapback]

Yeah, I found it peculiar that he didn't give me a more accuarte answer. Like "it's this many seconds quicker to 60 and the next fastest truck."

an Ram 1500 Laramie with a "5.6 liter Hemi" it beat them "by like 8 cars spaces" to 60 mph. I had to point out that the Hemi was 5.7 liters...

199954[/snapback]

Did he also mention that, like, the F-Ford150 was all leik "OMG U TOTALY BEAT ME TOYOTA WTF?!!?" and that the Ram totally suks ballz an teh GAYMC Sierra is 'tarded liek WHOA?

I'm not doubting that the Tundra could pull the Ram since it's supposed to have over 350HP, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tests made the Tundra look better/faster than it really is. Keep in mind who was running the tests...

That said, I'm sure GM/Ford/Dodge would all push their own trucks harder and not get on the others as much to make their truck look better.

I'm not doubting that the Tundra could pull the Ram since it's supposed to have over 350HP, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tests made the Tundra look better/faster than it really is. Keep in mind who was running the tests...

That said, I'm sure GM/Ford/Dodge would all push their own trucks harder and not get on the others as much to make their truck look better.

200839[/snapback]

Actually, I think the RAM is SAE rated at 335 HP and not 350. Most drivers felt it doesn't feel like 335 HP and more like 310 or 320. In a head to head comparo test it lost to the Titan in 0 to 60 and quarter mile accleration even though it supposedly has a 30 Hp advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Tundra could easily outrun the RAM HEMI.

Actually, I think the RAM is SAE rated at 335 HP and not 350. Most drivers felt it doesn't feel like 335 HP and more like 310 or 320. In a head to head comparo test it lost to the Titan in 0 to 60 and quarter mile accleration even though it supposedly has a 30 Hp advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Tundra could easily outrun the RAM HEMI.

201222[/snapback]

I remember that test, but interestingly in that same test the Ram was faster than any of the others when under load. Go Figure.

I'm not convinced it's faster than the Ram by assloads of time. Remember that Ford commercial pitting the then new F-150 againstthe Ram hemi and it won by a lot (knocking off the Ram commercials). We all know an F-150 can't do that in real life. So I'll wait and see about the Tundra.

I remember that test, but interestingly in that same test the Ram was faster than any of the others when under load. Go Figure.

I'm not convinced it's faster than the Ram by assloads of time.

201239[/snapback]

I agree that tests could be manipulated to make a certain company look superior to its competition. Especially if that company is paying for the comparo. I always wondered why DODGE doesn't offer the 6.1 Hemi in its full size truck. Now that engine would have been a powerhouse.

Edited by andy82471

Toyota did invite several Toyota dealers to their new factory and did race a Silverado, F-150 and a Ram. It also beat the crap out of those trucks in towing and acceleration tests. However, the actual/exact figures and numbers are not known.

Here's one of the stories

200836[/snapback]

:rolleyes: How can anyone believe this when the dude wasn't even sure where the plants located and ffs, the plants not even finished yet.

:rolleyes: How can anyone believe this when the dude wasn't even sure where the plants located and ffs, the plants not even finished yet.

201794[/snapback]

its on the internet. it must be true. ol reliable internet... forget that though its

all hoopla and probably a rigged up truck. maybe not rigged, but...prepared.

they do wonderful things with just a little chip and some reprogramming of the computer. essentially still stock...it does sound like a wonderful story. like paul bunyon.