Family Car Findings: 2007 DTS Performance Sedan

Variance

Family Car Findings: 2007 DTS Performance Sedan

Posted Image

Don’t get the idea that Cadillac has forsaken the aging buyers who have made the DeVille/DTS the best-selling full-size sedan in the United States. The comfort-first crowd still gets a smooth and powerful, 276-horsepower, NorthstarV-8 engine; seamless four-speed automatic transmission; long list of available luxury features; convenient controls; quiet, upscale interior; and a suspension calibrated primarily for a comfortable ride.

But Cadillac also sees the DTS as a possible choice for a younger, more performance-oriented buyer. For them, it has developed the DTS Performance Sedan.

Family Car

Gallery

---

Ok, show of hands. Who else had zero idea this even existed?

What do you mean, zero idea the DTS existed you mean? I love the DTS I would like one even over the 2008 GP GXP or a Corvette. The Lucerne would be more realistic for me given the 10-15k price difference but I still would like a Cadillac, and love the style! I knew the DTS existed I was one of the first people to see it in the flesh at the Chicago Autoshow in 2005, I went to see that car and the Lucerne! Then later that year I found a Bonneville SLE that I loved with 3,500 miles and fell in love as always liked them, so my chances of getting a DTS were shot! My dad owned 4 Bonneville's I just had to have another one because I had 1977 Bonneville that was my dads. It seemed like the right choice. Also my wife says Cadillac's are for old people, now that is b.s! Seen any of there ads recently?

Edited by gm4life

No, people blast the RL for having a V6, an AWD system no one cares about, a small trunk, indistinct looks, and selling poorly.

220621[/snapback]

Great points (ALL of them), and something (had to be something :AH-HA_wink: ) I definately agree with you on.

As for the DTS, it may still not have the best credentials in the world and is still a big time rental, but it's a VERY well done car with terrific materials, refinement, and general performance, and is still very popular.

The Performance model, while not made or sold in big numbers, is at least still offered for those who really like the car and want to step up the performance a few notches. Not too visually different from any other DTS, but the driving differences are quite noticeable.

No, people blast the RL for having a V6, an AWD system no one cares about, a small trunk, indistinct looks, and selling poorly.

220621[/snapback]

I agree with you on the indistinct looks. It isn't blasted for having a V6, but for not having a V8 option. I've never heard someone blast the AWD system.

The RL would come alive if they increased the displacement to 3.7L like the MDX (tuning it to about 320hp), and gave it a tighter geared 6 speed transmission. A big problem with the current transmission is not only how many gears it has, but the fact that it is geared rather tall.

I agree with you on the indistinct looks. It isn't blasted for having a V6, but for not having a V8 option. I've never heard someone blast the AWD system.

The RL would come alive if they increased the displacement to 3.7L like the MDX (tuning it to about 320hp), and gave it a tighter geared 6 speed transmission. A big problem with the current transmission is not only how many gears it has, but the fact that it is geared rather tall.

222312[/snapback]

Well that, and not to get off topic again, but that it also turned out too small for the class and price range it's in. I actually love most of the RL interior, and the mechanicals, but between the flabby looks (the TL shouldn't look as MUCH better than it as it does) and the cramped up interior, something just went off in the creation of that car. Has a lot of lovely, but also has a lot of "huh?!" to it.