Chrysler Confident in Minivans, Market

Variance

Chrysler Confident in Minivans, Market

Posted Image

Soccer moms and dads, take note: Rumors of the minivan's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Even as Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. plan to ditch their minivans in favor of newly popular crossover vehicles, Chrysler Group, which invented the minivan in 1984, is preparing to unveil its next models, and it's counting on high-volume sales.

The automaker will offer a peek at its 2008 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan at the 2007 North American International Auto Show at Cobo Hall in just a few weeks.

Even if you're not a fan of the van, Chrysler and analysts and suppliers who've seen it or been told about it say you should plan to be impressed.

Detroit Free Press

It's a bit of a risky move relying on the minivans without having any crossovers besides the Pacifica. Personally, I love the Outlook. It's the closest thing to a minivan as far as utility with better looks, nicer interior and more power. Still, if Chrysler can do a damn good job with the next minivans, then they may be able to gain some of the market share GM and Ford leave behind (especially Ford, cuz the edge is too small and no one buys the Freestyle).

Bold Moves...just not from Ford...hah.

In my opinion, there is a market for both. There is a new Dodge crossover in the works that should be out in 2008 to offer buyers both a minivan or a crossover vehicle. Minivans are great for larger families with 3 or more children. Crossovers, even with third row seats, can be inconvenient when having to juggle the combination of car seats and booster seats. I think Chrysler has it right by offering both crossovers and minivans. I am not confident of GM or Ford's decision to discontinue their minivans and stop development of new ones. I believe GM could create a great minivan based on the new Lambda architecture, especially after seeing the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave.

And of course Chrysler is going to be confident in their minivans. They invented the segment, and have dominated it since. Provided a decent interior and superior dynamics are part of the package as well as innovations (and more comfortable Stow n' Go seating) then Chrysler should do well enough. They did it first, they did it right. They ought to get it right again, it's only logical.

I want Chrysler to get these vans right. I really do. But the more things I see come out of Auburn Hills, the less confident I am in believing they are capable of doing that. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that they'd either be an eyesore (Sebring, Compass), a 300 with sliding doors, or something thoroughly mediocre at best (Durango, Aspen, Commander, Avenger, Caliber, Dakota, etc...).

Prove me wrong, Chrysler.

I think we'd all be a little more impressed with Chrysler's confidence if 80% of their production weren't sitting at airports - half at the Dollar counter and half in a field because no one wants to buy them.

geez, there's plenty of people in my hood driving new DCX vans all around. The neighbors on either side of me have one, it seems like they are everywhere around here. Quite possibly the biggest seller around here next to pickups.

It's a bit of a risky move relying on the minivans without having any crossovers besides the Pacifica. Personally, I love the Outlook. It's the closest thing to a minivan as far as utility with better looks, nicer interior and more power. Still, if Chrysler can do a damn good job with the next minivans, then they may be able to gain some of the market share GM and Ford leave behind (especially Ford, cuz the edge is too small and no one buys the Freestyle).

Bold Moves...just not from Ford...hah.

i know someone w/ the freestyle... but i think 1 is all i know.

with all the "hype" i guess it'd be mediocre at worst... better have a good powertrain, 2.7 5 speed, 3.5L 6speed... options galore, but if it's as bad the sebring, something better be really inovative, better than the stow and go seating.