What do you look for in a Used car?

Since Camino LS6's thread referred to new cars and some of us have been mentioning used car preferences in that thread I thought this would be a fun thread for the used car shopper in us all. :P

For me:

• Exterior must be in good shape. I little rust maybe and/or th expected imperfections are fine but the paint must overall be in good shape and still shine. It also can't have any large amounts of body damage bigger than a ding.
  • Engine must be clean. No oil or dirt on the engine. Not only is it a sign of engien problems but also of poor maintenance.
  • The interior must be in good shape, nothing broken and everything must work. It also must attractively designed. Materials are important but as long as the materials seem durable and the armrests, seats and steering wheel are comfortable that's all that matters.
  • Must have a good sound system that has a CD player.
  • One or two minor problems are acceptable but nothing serious or annoying.
  • No ugly colors
  • No ugly exteriors.
  • Make and model are not too important...I prefer Chrysler Corp. products, as does my whole family, but unlike some of us, I'm open to any nice looking, nice driving car.
  • Steering, braking, and pedal must all have good weighting and feel.
  • Suspension must be on the sporty side without being harsh. No marshmellow stuff.
  • I don't want to have to put money into the car as soon as I buy it...unless it's a project car. Light bulbs, and a battery are acceptable, but I'd prefer to have good tires with teh car and no mechanical problems.
  • The Engine must have power to it. It may not have to be a speed demon, but it needs to move with some authority.
  • I would like RWD or AWD but I don't mind FWD...especially if it's done right and the car handles well. Also it has advantages in the snow...should we ever get any. Also I don't care how the engine is mounted :P
Edited by Dodgefan

-Condition of the body, no rust is very important because living in Minnesota it spreads like wildfire, also little or no scratches, dings, or chips.

-Clean interior, no rips in the seats, no stained carpet with holes in it.

-At least some service records

-Tires that are not bald and rims with no curb rash.

-Stock rims, I am really particular about what style aftermarket rims I like and would rather pick them out myself.

-No ridiculous looking appearance modifications, like huge spoilers and strange lights.

-Miles are not too big of a concern as long as the car in in good condition.

-All major electronics are functioning properly.

-Car must be from a non-smoker.

-Car must be black or bright red and have appealing style.

-Needs to have leather, sunroof, heated/power seat.

-Dark/Graphite interior

Edited by REDO1GPGT

That's true that leather does not age very well, it has to be consistanly conditioned to stay in good shape. If the previous owners never condition or cleaned the leather it looks like crap and gets hard and brittle. Leather is nice to have when it is of good quality, not like the cheap vinyl feeling stuff in my gp. The thing I don't like about having cloth seats is that you usually can't get heated seats as well.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

As Camino said, I think it depends on what you are using it for.

As in my case, the replacement for the wagon will be used, as it is the beater/DD...

I expect it to be in good shape, have four doors (I could live with two), and A/C, and it be an auto.

I would leave an open mind after that, because you never know what you might find..

With a used car, everything is on the table and each aspect of the car has an importance of varying degree depending on the car's intended purpose. As in daily driver vs. collector car vs. Hot Rod vs. project etc. .

Good point. My requirements are based on a nice daily driver. Something I'm proud to own and use everyday but not an exotic/collector. As a beater...hell if it runs and drives that's good enough for me :P