Back I am ... Radio Return, Pacemaker Placement

My pacemaker was replaced on Monday, February 12, 2007, a day before ACHA's Lobby Day in Washington DC, at Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Since the location was switched from my abdomin to my left-side chest area [the original wires are blocked by scarring from the 2003 surgery, causing the old pacemaker/battery to work harder/longer], I stayed overnight. They put the new pacemaker in my chest ... and then decided to take me to the OR to remove the old pacemaker, since it was under the muscle tissue. Luckily, I do not remember waking up with the breathing tube down my throat this time.

I made it home safely, thanks to Mom and Dad, on Tuesday, despite Chicagoland's wintry weather. I've been sore/achy the last few days, keeping me from doing much.... I had a checkup at the hospital on Friday, February 16, during which the pacemaker and both wounds were checked, and I was given more instructions [when to return to driving...Monday, February 19; to work...Tuesday, February 20; and other activities].

My original pacemaker was installed during my last Open Heart surgery, January 2003. I was borderline needing it; we decided it best to install it so I didn't need another surgery within a few months. That was fine with me. A few weeks ago, however, I was home sick and noticed I wasn't feeling quite right. I called the Pacemaker Clinic ... and, during a phone check, discovered that the pacemaker was not reacting to the magnet; the battery was "dead".

So, with some lost time, money, vacation, etc. ... I'm back ... with an even weirder looking chest area...arg. I didn't say much at all about this prior to the surgery because I wasn't (and, in some ways, still am not) happy about it ... and didn't want to come across as too negative....

Now, I can concentrate on projects and road trips and other plans, including another radio show! I've been discussing the possibility of doing a radio show on WRMN this coming April (just like I did April 2006). I'll be meeting my WRMN contact in person on Monday, February 19, to figure out times/dates, etc., which I will announce as soon as I know ... stay tuned! I, of course, will also advise when I figure out road trip plans (need to determine where I'm going and when ... and what time I'll have available).... AND...watch for "MC Sampler" (trivia) coming soon....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"One more sad story's one more than I can stand" ... Anne Murray ... 'A Little Good News'

LOL! capriceman ... I only WISH that were the case ;).

Camino ... sadly, I always have to think about this crap ... he he ... just the "nature of the beast", more or less....

Thank you all ... definitely appreciate the kind words!

"How can anybody be so lucky?" ... John Conlee ... 'Domestic Life'

*nods*

Thank you, both!

And, Dsuupr ... sadly, I DO remember waking up with the breathing tube down my throat during my January 2003 Open Heart surgery ... that was FRIGHTENING, to put it mildly. Thus, when they told me (while I was still drugged up, mind ya) that they would have to wheel me into OR to remove the old pacemaker ... I told them in no uncertain terms I did NOT want to remember waking up with the breathing tube down my throat ... and, luckily for them, I didn't this time ;).

"My heart would always be behind the wheel" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Prisoner Of The Highway'