It's a smelly world, isn't it?

Anyone else notice how we tend to associate certain smells with people and or places/things? Sometimes, those smells that smell good to us ... don't smell good to others ... and vice versa. Sometimes, the smell is equally displeasing or pleasing to everyone.

Earlier today (Saturday), my sister noted how she loves the smell of her scarf ... because it smells like the home she and her husband own. I'm not so sure I agree with her assessment, but it is home to her....

For me, I associate newly-cut grass smells with awesome summers at home while I was a kid. I associate the smell of smoke with many bad experiences. And, of course, I love the smell of cars ... old and, in some cases, new ;).

So, how about you?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Look at everything that's come and gone" ... Bryan Adams ... 'Summer of 69'

You know how when you go into an old person's home, and they all smell the same?

And the bathroom, just after a healthy? Ah yes.

Apple pie baking in the oven.

Cat pee somewhere in your half-finished downstairs family room, making you regret the day you started letting your neighbor's cat in periodically because they put her out and won't let her back in their house.

Sweat, running down the back of somebody cool at the gym.

Newly cut alfalfa.

Yes... smelly isn't it?

Edited by ocnblu

Mothballs, cedar, onions & sawdust remind me of my grandparent's house.

Rust, oil, hot steel and the summer-baked interiors of junkyard refugees remind me of countless trips to the boneyard.

Fresh-split oak & apple and dried leaves remind me of woodstove fires in winter, and the gathering of fuel for it.

JB Blaster, gear oil & rotten vinyl upholstery remind me of my '40 Ford.

Dry mold, dust, powdery bone and old terror remind me of the houses of my nightmares.

im not being racist but the middle east smells its somthing in the soil. like a sulfur smell. Its just horrible. But I like Nature and Gas. I also like the smell of spray paint.... :P

lets not forget those sex smells!

*frowns*

How could I forget 'em when I haven't even smelled 'em yet?

*sighs*

"Your friends have shown a kink in the single life" ... The Raconteurs ... 'Steady As She Goes'

Next time you're out somewhere, just walk around and sniff everyone's crotches. If they get mad, pant for a few seconds and tell them you're just doing your dog impression. Then bark once or twice. Edited by ocnblu

Old cars and the smells they give off (gas and exhaust fumes) remind me of the many car shows I've attended and makes me look forward to them the next year (in the winter months, that is). I've also noticed over the last several years that certain smells will trigger happy memories for me, some that I've even forgotten about. Smells can do funny things.

Next time you're out somewhere, just walk around and sniff everyone's crotches. If they get mad, pant for a few seconds and tell them you're just doing your dog impression. Then bark once or twice.

LOL!

Yeah, somehow, I'm not even able to picture me doing that ;). He he he

Smells can do funny things.

That they can. I prefer, of course, when they trigger HAPPY memories. The bad memories .. not so much.

"You might miss what you left behind" ... Dierks Bentley ... 'Slow Down'

Fresh cut grass always gets me... I LOVE spring here in NC (especially the mountains) and given that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and I ususally bottom out around Feb or March, anytime I smell fresh cut grass it puts me on cloud 9... It's the first sign that spring has arrived and takes me back to my youth when I used to play baseball.

New cut alfalfa gets me too... We have horses and I have a lot of happy memories from my childhood tied into that.

Honeysuckles... OMG!!! It's the best smell of spring!! Back when I worked late at night when I lived in the mountains the whole year, I had to commute 20(ish) miles for my second job. The honeysuckle patches are so strong that you can smell them when you drive past a patch. So, when I would come home each night I would roll down all the windows, open the sunroof, crank up the metal and enjoy the ride.. It was one of the most peaceful things I've ever experienced.

Fresh cut oak... Smells bad, but reminds me of my childhood when we used wood heat for our house. We would hit the logging roads on the mountains and cut our own wood eventually to split it and stack it. (Don't worry, it was always trees that had been blown down, never did we 'fell' a tree) Natuarlly, we would target certain woods that burned longer or hotter such as OAK and LOCUST.

Tomato bisque soup... The bed and breakfast that I basically grew up working at used to make this stuff ever 2 nights or so. The smell of it makes me wanna PUKE, but alas, it does remind me of being 16 again and caring about nothing other than what my friends were doing and messing with my then daily driver 1973 Camaro Z28/RS.

Fresh rain on a summer afternoon... You know, when it first begins to rain. I'm bittersweet about this one becuase the car guy in me HATES rain becuase it always ruins my detail. But the smell is peaceful.

High Octane Gasoline/Bounty Sheets... The distinct smell of the inside of my Camaros. (The bounty sheets are to keep mice out---trust me, anytime an old car sits, regardless where and what it is, a mouse will find it) and the gasoline is from my Camaros probably burning WAY too rich LOL.

That's all I can think of for now.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM