Hemi BBQ & Other Stuff

HarleyEarl

WTF does it lack a GMC blower? This thing is weak. I want an LS7 powered grille. Smoked Salmon, Steak Tips & BBQ Ribs. :wub: I'm getting a serious red meat craving just cause of this thread.

I'm assuming it runs off of alcohol and not gasoline.

That big-wheel was much more retarded than the BBQ grille.

Now what smart cookie can tell me what kind of machine/device the VERY first Chrysler Hemis powered?

HINT: It was durring an era when Cars were not even produced for public consumption. :)
Edited by Sixty8panther

That big-wheel was much more retarded than the BBQ grille.

Now what smart cookie can tell me what kind of machine/device the VERY first Chrysler Hemis powered?

HINT: It was durring an era when Cars were not even produced for public consumption. :)

[post="21785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, there were 2 WWII vintage Chrysler hemi-engines, neither of which reached production status.

A V-12 was developed as a tank engine, but I think it was the inverted V-16 that was first and test flown in a P-47 Thunderbolt.

Well, there were 2 WWII vintage Chrysler hemi-engines, neither of which reached production status.

A V-12 was developed as a tank engine, but I think it was the inverted V-16 that was first and test flown in a P-47 Thunderbolt.

[post="21894"][/post]

What did come from testing the aircraft engine was just another Chrysler accomplishment that went by unheralded but was nevertheless noted later. The inverted V-16 was conservatively rated at 2,500 horsepower, and Chrysler has always been known for under rating their engines.

For testing, a P-47 Thunderbolt was selected. Introduced in 1943, the P-47 was the largest and heaviest single seater in the Air Force inventory at the time. It was powered by a huge 2,800 cubic inch radial engine that developed 2,300 horsepower. It gave the 40 foot wing span plane a top speed of 439 miles an hour at 15,000 feet.

Some modifications were necessary to accommodate the long V-16. When done, the slimmed down nose actually helped reduce the drag produced by the big round radial. Preliminary testing showed promise. Gingerly the big fighter was coaxed slowly into higher altitudes and higher speeds. Finally the go ahead was given for an all out test. At 15,000 feet, the huge plane, under the Chrysler V-16's power, broke the 500 mile an hour barrier. No one thought it was possible for a piston engine to achieve that speed in level flight.

Thanks to accurate radar timing, it is beyond doubt how powerful that engine truly was. Flat out, it pulled the huge P-47 along at 504 miles an hour. Conventional wisdom at that time said that the V-16 was making at least 3,000 horsepower, and likely closer to 3,500!

Just to be sure, the test P-47 went out the next day with a different test pilot and again level at 15,000 feet, went through the 500 mile an hour mark. Hand shakes and elation went all around. However, only the one engine was ever built. The important thing to keep in mind about this engine is that it was a Hemi headed, push rod valve activated type. It survived the war, and now is on display at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Republic XP-47 Thunderbolt
Posted Image
Note the streamlined engine cowl thats markedly different than a standard P-47. The layout of the V-16 vs the standard radial engine necessitated this. The '47 (aka 'The Jug') was known as a damn big and heavy airplane, so its modified speed achievement is especially noteworthy.

NOPE... no one has guessed it yet. Balthazar! - where are you? I'm thinking he's our last hope. The answer will knock your socks off! Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, you certainly aren't talking about the hemi-powered Chrysler Air Raid Siren from the early 1950's, as the IND-20 Industrial hemi engine they used wasn't produced until years after the WWII vintage V12 and V16 engines.

Shoot.. you're right I Effed up the question... FIRST V8 hemi then. I could have sworn I saw soe documentary on discovery that said those Hemi-V8 powered Air-raid syrens were in use at the end of WWII.

Hmmm.... my bad.

Shoot.. you're right I Effed up the question... FIRST V8 hemi then. I could have sworn I saw soe documentary on discovery that said those Hemi-V8 powered Air-raid syrens were in use at the end of WWII.

Hmmm.... my bad.

[post="21921"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Chrysler built 3 different versions of their Air Raid Siren from 1942 until 1957, but the Hemi powered version was only produced from 1952. Even then it wasn't the first use of the Chrysler hemi V8. The Hemi was offered in Chrysler cars from the fall of 1950.

There's a good web page on the Hemi powered sirens here.

Thanks James... Awsome link. I'll have to check that out in the AM. It's 3:30 and I have to get some sleep now. :)