Knight Rider Pontiac up for sale

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/ap_en_...night_rider_car

DUBLIN, Calif. - KITT, the flame-throwing, river-jumping, talking muscle car from the `80s TV show "Knight Rider," is up for sale. Restored to its debut-season glory, the modified black 1982 Pontiac Trans Am is offered at $149,995 at a Dublin auto dealership. Johnny "Vette" Verhoek of Kassabian Motors has had the car, officially called Knight Industries Two Thousand, on display for about a month.

It is one of four documented "camera cars" used for close-up shots and scenes where David Hasselhoff, who played Michael Knight in the series, was behind the wheel.

Although it cannot achieve the 300 mph speeds that KITT reached, soar 50 feet in the air or throw smoke bombs, key features of the star car are intact. Perhaps most important, the red scanner light on the nose glows and makes a humming noise.

The car has two working video screens on the dashboard, and the cockpit features buttons that light up in green, yellow and red: ski mode, rocket boost, micro jam, silent mode, oil slick and eject.

Most of the buttons don't do anything, Verhoek said. Nor can the car hold a conversation or drive itself.

KITT isn't even street legal because of missing smog equipment and other modifications. Whoever buys the car will probably keep it in a private collection, or it may be purchased by a museum, Verhoek said.

The car belongs to Tim Russo of Livermore, a Kassabian customer who figured now was a good time to test the market, with the 25th anniversary of the show's debut coming up.

Russo purchased the car 10 years ago at an auction in San Diego, and has spent the last decade finding parts to restore it.

Edited by andy82471

Are the rumors true that Hasselhoff is planning a KNIGHT RIDER movie?

There's a poster floating around on MySpace that has a generic looking

car almost like the red Pontiac Banchee look alike that they used in the

made for TV movie. If they ever doresurect Kniht Rider the car better

be a 2002 Trans Am WS6.

yeah, seen it, so that poster is legit?

Not liking the car, looks like what a 1996 NSX should have looked like if they has restyled it. :(

My buddies uncle made the front end for that car that housed the moving light. I remember him showing us the molds that he kept in his garage from making it. He had some fiberglass company then that was ahead of its time for doing molds, which was eons ago. I have not seen or heard from his uncle in a long time, I hope he is getting some excitement from this.

Edited by RJB

This is really funny for me, seeing all of you guys wax nostalgic over this car. For car fans of my vintage, KITT was something of a joke, and far from the coolest T/A ever!

No offense intended, it just strikes me funny. You guys know I love my Firebirds, but KITT isn't one of them.

This is really funny for me, seeing all of you guys wax nostalgic over this car. For car fans of my vintage, KITT was something of a joke, and far from the coolest T/A ever!

No offense intended, it just strikes me funny. You guys know I love my Firebirds, but KITT isn't one of them.

None taken. But I still think the 82 TRANS AM looks hot, even today. Much better than whatever they are going to use in the upcoming movie. It would have been nice if the next KITT is a modified Corvette ZO6. This could be a great advertising opportunity for GM.