Quit my job & starting with UPS - and MUCH more for the end of March

After 10 years of dealing with Property Management in one way or another, I'm finally out. :) I start working for UPS next Monday. I can only say AHHHHHHH. Relief . . .

It will be a big jump, as I will be working part time for UPS until I can go driver (short on money for a while). It's sad really, UPS drivers make more Property Manager's of 300+ unit communities, and don't put in the amount of hours, or have 1/4 of the stress.

To add to the changes in our house this month;

1. We've sold old Blue (1991 Suburban)

2. Big Red (1999 Suburban) is for sale

3. We've been submitted for the adoption of 2 boys

4. We've just closed on the refi of our home (up over $75,000 in 1 1/2 years)

5. We are looking for a new church home (after 5+ years ours is closing it's doors)

6. The HHR got damaged and needed some body repair last week. In the process they screwed up the electrical system so it also had to be in the shop late last week and yesterday to be fixed. I had 4 rental cars during the process. A very nice 2007 DTS, a trashed 2006 Impala, a bland 2007 Ion, and a decent 2004 Classic.

7. ??? Question is, whats next for this month.

I'm looking foward to a very peaceful and uneventful summer, as spring has proven to have many suprises.

Edited by Dsuupr

I can only say AHHHHHHH. Relief . . .

Wow! Must be an Oregon thing! Actually my parents are domiciled in Oregon, but I'm south (yeah, one of those) and I quit my job, too. I resigned on January 10 with 2 weeks notice. Wound up staying until the end of February.

Always thought that being an architect would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It wasn't (for me, at least). I worked for some jerk-o outfits. I worked at this last one for 3 years. The first 2 years were great as I had the best of the firm's partners to work for. When he and a handful of others left to start their own firm, I had to contend with some of the remaining partners and I then understood why the "cream of the crop" left. The remaining partners are jerks. In fact, their leaving caused many others to leave within the next 6 months. Out of 42 people, I would say 18 to 20 have left since January 2006!

The big gift is that I left them was a nice difficult high-profile project (for a jerk partner I was assigned to) without a qualified project manager. What I did do is simply not work any overtime since October and, whithin my rigidly metered 40 hours, I had to take care of some of my own projects/clients, so it put this project at 28 to 30 hours a week of time. It realistically needed about 60 man hrs. every week. Oh well, and they had no clue I was going to school at night and preparing to say "adios."

Should be done with an evening graduate business degree in mid-May. It's in a track for which I have a professional certification (that I put up on the shelf) since I had majored in business while first in college. You know, it may not be as glamorous and you can't walk through your finished building, but, sheez, I remember it being much easier for the same amount of income.

Good luck with all your changes. BTW, what ever happened to the Intrigue you were selling? Or, I must have forgotten if you reported it.

Edited by trinacriabob

aaaanotine - Full scale driver for UPS in Portland Oregon pays $60,000 to $70,000 per year, depending on OT.

trinacriabob - Intrigue sold ages ago (before we bought our current home). I wanted to be an Architect when I was younger. In the end, I don't figured out I just don't have the artist part in me.

Perhaps I am in the wrong profession...

What do you do?

Keep in mind, it takes 3 to 4 years to get full scale. Though by the time I'm full scale the pay will have gone up even more. Oh yeah, that doesn't include full medical at no charge (whole family), a good amount of vacation, sick and personal days, another $6.50+ per hour towards the pension, etc. It's the standard good old fashion union job. The type of jobs that made our country strong. The kind of jobs that are going away.

Congratulations on all the new moves and direction you're taking! Doesn't it feel great to get something (or, in your case, make that plural) new in your life and take care of something old? Again, congratulations, and best wishes on whatever the future may bring!

How many people here wouldn't love to hop in a time machine and meet up with theirself on their 15th birthday to have a little chat? I don't mean about which lottery numbers to pick or games to bet on (that would be too easy!), but what career paths to take, pitfalls to avoid and (probably) people to get involved with.

UPS eh? Iv had my 4 month stint as a pre-loader, and it wasn't really much fun. They payed weekly however, so it was all good. Talk to polish_kris, hes a UPS driver. Fun and hectic job.

Posted Image

(picture taken after a 7 hour shift lol)

aaaanotine - Full scale driver for UPS in Portland Oregon pays $60,000 to $70,000 per year, depending on OT.

trinacriabob - Intrigue sold ages ago (before we bought our current home). I wanted to be an Architect when I was younger. In the end, I don't figured out I just don't have the artist part in me.

that's ok, you should have given it a go anyways. only 2% of the lemmings left in the business have any sense of artistry left after a year or two of the man 'bringing you down in the real world' anyways......

you woulda been just fine!