Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

NYIAS: Pics from GM's small car press conference

I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't been able to get a good idea on just how small these cars are yet.

I just got off the phone with AH-HA and others who are on the show floor. They say the cars are B segment sized.

In other words, they are Mini Cooper, Toyota Yaris, Chevy Aveo, Honda Fit sized.

Maybe these pics with people around the cars will help:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The front of the Trax looks sort of cute in these pics, but it would appeal to women much more than men, I think. The Groove is the most masculine by far with it's aggressive front fascia, but I find the rest of it ugly. The Beat is obviously the most sporty and I think it would appeal to the most people, and is the only one I think as a whole is attractive.

BTW, what's with the little green thing under the Trax in the last pic?

EDIT: I see, they were throwing them around at the beginning and must not have picked them all up afterwards.

They still look like the size Giffron said, to me. *shrugs*

It's hard to tell without actual specs. Perhaps they are A-segment (Mini, Swift, Micra, C2, Ka, Yaris hatch) rather than A0, but maybe not. Height is not s determining factor. A0-segment minicars are just as tall or taller (to make up for the lack of horizontal legroom) than hatchbacks, MPV, vans or crossovers in larger segments. Since GM described tham as "minicar", rather than "small car" I assumed they would be smaller than the Celta and Sail as well as the Corsa and Aveo, but then the new Twingo is already right at the boundary of the A-segment (just below the 3-door Echo and Mini), so maybe the new minicars will be closer to the Mini than the Matiz.

LoL...well, I dont know why Im hearing different from people who saw them yesterday. Apparently the press kits they handed out don't have any measurements or specs.

Was that guy referring to the Aveo sedan (169.7 in) or hatch (152.7 in)? Matiz is 137.6 inches. Someone at NYIAS must have a tape measure!

Heh OK I give up....just talked to a few more people in NYC who saw the cars and they all compare them to an Scion xA (154 in) or Honda Fit 5 door (157 in) length.

:yikes::fryingpan::banghead:

They are obviously very narrow, like the Matiz. It can be very hard to eyeball the difference in length unless the vehicles are parked side-by-side, and the Fit gains a good 6" or so (nearly half the difference) just to make US-compliance.

They are obviously very narrow, like the Matiz. It can be very hard to eyeball the difference in length unless the vehicles are parked side-by-side, and the Fit gains a good 6" or so (nearly half the difference) just to make US-compliance.

*shrug*

Heh, Im really not trying to be argumentative...I'm sure it seems like I am though. Just reporting what the people who've seen the car in person are telling me.

they all look terrific. I love the tough truck miniute stance of the Trax....for a woman it'd be a great car. The surfacing on the Groove is excellent. What would be the con of making all three of them? And is this concept debut far far away from production, or are we looking at maybe one year wait? OR has GM still not learned the waiting game lesson?

I am loving the proliferation of Camaro interior bits/materials. The materials used in the Beat are phenomonal. I would like to see at least one of these cars, maybe the Groove since it'll be the manliest, with a performance package and with a great interior. These are winners for Chevy, especially if they are really close in size to the Scion Xa. Heck, I would love it if these were the replacements for Aveo. Build them all.