An awesome conversation

Today at the exhaust shop, I was standing there watching the guys do their thing, when an old farmer walked up to me and struck up a conversation:

"Is this your truck?"

"Yup."

"You didn't get a Toyota?"

"NO! I hate those things!"

"Did you see where Toyota is rolling over GM, Ford and Chrysler?"

"Yup."

"Why do you think that is? I just don't understand that."

"It's the media, putting ideas in people's heads. It's not real experience. I've always had good luck with my GM trucks."

"Yeah, the media's putting on a big show, trying to put the American companies down. We had one (a Toyota truck) on the farm back in the 80's, and that was enough. It was a good little truck, but it wasn't that great."

"I will always buy GM trucks."

"That's all we have on the farm, we like them pretty good. That's all we'll buy too. 'Course, ya can't tell by looking at them, they're always dirty."

"That's alright, I live in town, that's why mine is so clean."

GM could not have made a better commercial. What a memorable conversation. It made me extremely proud to own the right truck.

Edited by ocnblu

Today at the exhaust shop, I was standing there watching the guys do their thing, when an old farmer walked up to me and struck up a conversation:

"Is this your truck?"

"Yup."

"You didn't get a Toyota?"

"NO! I hate those things!"

"Did you see where Toyota is rolling over GM, Ford and Chrysler?"

"Yup."

"Why do you think that is? I just don't understand that."

"It's the media, putting ideas in people's heads. It's not real experience. I've always had good luck with my GM trucks."

"Yeah, the media's putting on a big show, trying to put the American companies down. We had one (a Toyota truck) on the farm back in the 80's, and that was enough. It was a good little truck, but it wasn't that great."

"I will always buy GM trucks."

"That's all we have on the farm, we like them pretty good. That's all we'll buy too. 'Course, ya can't tell by looking at them, they're always dirty."

"That's alright, I live in town, that's why mine is so clean."

GM could not have made a better commercial. What a memorable conversation. It made me extremely proud to own the right truck.

:thumbsup:

All right, PB!

You with those trucks...and me with opera-windowed RWD GM mid-sizes and then W-body GM mid-sizes.

It's indirectly related I guess, but I have a friend whose father only bought Chevrolet vehicles for nearly 30 years. He claims to have had so many problems with his last Impala (not the new body style, the previous model and I have no idea what these problems were) that he went and traded it in on a new Hyundai Sonata, simply for the warranty. My friend had a Dodge Stratus for nearly 9 years and had multiple problems including having the head gasket fail two times. I just found out yesterday that he traded it in on a Sonata too...for the warranty. This just makes me ill.

That is a good commercial.

I was out on a meeting with the client who is about 60 years old Hispanic gentleman. He is an environmental engineer at Ameristeel.

Our conversation was different but the tone was the same.

Him: I am looking for a pickup.

Me: Cool Sir, What are your options.

Him: Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra and Chevy Silverado.

Me: Great. Have you test driven any?

Him: Nope, but I read CR and they said Toyota was good and they do not speak highly of the American vehicles. I am looking for the Chevy cuz I like the interior and it is American.

Me: Did CR say that the Toyota had the highest number of recalls last year?

Him: What???

Me: Yup, that is the "Small Information" which CR apparently failed to print

Him: So let me ask you this. What will you buy of those 3?

Me: Chevy Silverado 1500. Regular Cab LT1, 4x4 5.3 V-8 with Z-71, package.

Him: Why?

Me: Because

1. It's initial build quality is better than others according to JD Power.

2. It is not a look at me styled.

3. GM knows how make trucks more than the other two you are considering.

I need it because: I want something offroad, I am single and I have to carry my mountain bike or my ATV and a couple of luggage bags, which will be enough for a Regular Cab.

Me: My needs may be different than yours, what are your needs?

Him: I want something which can tow my 5000 lb boat, and have seat for my wife, and enough luggage space, and yet room for my G-kids.

Me: Then you should probably by an Avalanche.

Him: I always liked its design, but my colleagues told me not to buy it because, it is GM.

Me: Have you test driven it and sat in it?

Him: Nope.

Me: Go with an open mind and then we can talk again.

I know I was kinda cocky in the end, but I convinced him. Let us see how it goes.

I just simply point to 278,000 miles and 30 years when people ask me about my GM pickup.

I'm catching up to you, 76CT. 234,000 miles and she will be 15 y.o. on May 16th! No oil consumption in between oil changes, either.

(In some Hispanic cultures, she's ready for her "quinc-anera" or however that's spelled!)

I'm catching up to you, 76CT. 234,000 miles and she will be 15 y.o. on May 16th! No oil consumption in between oil changes, either.

Got 170k on mine. Can't believe it actually, for when you drain the oil, it's as clean as when you put it in! No smoke, unusual oil consumption, and she has plenty of power too!

Hope the tranny holds up though. Thanks to a broken thermostat, I ran it *hot* for a couple of months, until I serviced the system. Was hesitant to change the tranny fluid however, as the prior owner never changed it...

I was never a fan of the 3100 motor, but I am now :thumbsup:. People can take their extra valves and camshafts, and stuff 'em!

Got 170k on mine. Can't believe it actually, for when you drain the oil, it's as clean as when you put it in! No smoke, unusual oil consumption, and she has plenty of power too!

I was never a fan of the 3100 motor, but I am now

What kind of/year of car is it in, NDL?

Cool. If I was some old salt of the earth farmer I'd be proud to have an all GM fleet. :D

Guest YellowJacket894

My truck is another bitch-slap right to Toyota. So far my S-10 has 156,000 original miles on it with the original clutch ... and it's the truck I learned how to drive a manual in. (It just needs a little, you know, TLC.)

Let's see a Tacoma do that.

My truck is another bitch-slap right to Toyota. So far my S-10 has 156,000 original miles on it with the original clutch ... and it's the truck I learned how to drive a manual in. (It just needs a little, you know, TLC.)

Let's see a Tacoma do that.

Remember that old Toyota pickup they destroyed on Top Gear but it still ran?