Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Which is Better?

Ive always wondered wether or not it was better to shift gears on a motorcycle with or without using the clutch lever? Either way has never bothered me but ive always wondered which was better for the engine?

I haven't driven a bike enough to be able to comment (that will change soon though hopefully)...

But I know in a car you can shift without using the clutch easily (that is, when you aren't starting from a stop)...just gotta know the shift points.

Personally, I would always use a clutch (never personally driven a motorcycle, though). It's there for a reason.

The only time I don't use it is if I park a manual transmission car in a perfectly level spot (garage), at which point I put it in neutral and set the parking brake. Never had a problem. On a grade, I will usually put it in first and apply the parking brake.

So glad to have an automatic trans. Whew.

Ive always wondered wether or not it was better to shift gears on a motorcycle with or without using the clutch lever? Either way has never bothered me but ive always wondered which was better for the engine?

Clutch > No clutch... Just because you're able to do it, doesn't mean its good for the transmission.

Clutch > No clutch... Just because you're able to do it, doesn't mean its good for the transmission.

nothing i said implyed that shifting without using the clutch is a talent nor did i say it was good for the transmission. thats what i was asking

Edited by Charger4U

nothing i said implyed that shifting without using the clutch is a talent nor did i say it was good for the transmission. thats what i was asking

Meanwhile, nothing I said implied that you implied any of that. It was a general statement to answer what you were asking. Silly boy. :P

I had a clutched ATV for a while and only used the clutch when initially putting it into gear when stopped. I never used the clutch once at speed. Drive a truck the same way. The old timers will grill you for not using a clutch though. I have yet to wreck anything so far. I owned that ATV for over 3 years as well and probably put over 7000 miles on it (a guess as it did not have a speedo or odometer, probably a pretty low estimate though).

I had a clutched ATV for a while and only used the clutch when initially putting it into gear when stopped. I never used the clutch once at speed.

Yup. Same here... BUT, was Charger4U talking about cars?

Certain cars are the same way, but it's a good idea to use

the clutch in 99% of cars just for wear & tear purposes.

My Datsun has synchromesh gears & yet it is IMPOSSIBLE

to get it out of one gear & into another w/ that car, even

at speed with the RPMs matched. I've tried.

I think most non-Harleys have wet clutches, so you could ride them all day if you wanted to. If that's the case, definitely use the clutch.