Eddymunds Tests G8- Neee Holden Commodore SS

Overall a very positive Road Test. If the G8 is 99% of what the Commodore is, expect it to fly off.

Commodore SS

Some Points

Introduced in 2006, the fourth-generation Holden Commodore (code-named VE) is the product of one of the most expensive and thorough automotive engineering programs in Australian history
The innovation lies in a four-link independent rear suspension with coil-over springs and dampers, a major step forward for Australian cars. Here again, the Holden engineers have tried to balance longitudinal compliance for a good ride with lateral stiffness for good handling. The Commodore SS gets a handling-oriented spring-and-damper calibration and 245/45R18 performance tires. Optional 19- and 20-inch rubber can be fitted — the latter available on the very same wheels featured on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT that appeared at the Chicago auto show.
We drove our Commodore SS around Melbourne and the car was steady and precise on the freeway, despite the notorious local crosswinds. While careening along the surprisingly sinuous roads through the mountains east of Melbourne to the site of the famous Lake Mountain Hillclimb, the Commodore SS was an absolute hoot. We found it easy to place the SS on the line we desired through the corners and keep it there, even when the lumpy lanes tried to pitch us off. No steering kickback or tramlining on the steeply cambered Australian secondary roads either. And the standard stability control never once fired prematurely.
Not only does the pedal feel firm and offer good modulation, but also the brakes hauled down our SS from 60 mph in just 117 feet with no drama or fade.
The six-speed manual's precise shift linkage, well-spaced gear ratios and thoroughly sorted clutch action made it easy to get the most from this engine. And the standard ZF limited-slip differential put the power down with little drama, even when we disabled the standard traction control.
All of the knobs and switchgear are located logically and work easily and intuitively.
The 2007 Holden Commodore SS is a legitimate rear-drive performance sedan that stands up well to comparisons with fine European cars
If the essence of the 2007 Holden Commodore SS remains intact, we have a shot at buying a world-class, rear-drive performance sedan from a Pontiac dealer
Edited by smallchevy

How many Pontiacs, much less Pontiac sedans, can have this said about them:

With only a hint of body roll, it pulled off a run through the slalom at 67.6 mph. That's a few ticks faster than the 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport and 2006 BMW 330i, although slower than BMW's killer 335i. It was much the same story on the skid pad, where our Commodore SS's run at 0.87g nearly matched the 335i's effort of 0.88g.

After reading the review, I don't think the haters have much to gripe about. It seems this car is practically perfect in every possible way; the only thing anyone could complain about is if the looks aren't for them. If that could be said about every GM car, I don't think GM would be in any of the trouble they're currently in.

After reading the review, I don't think the haters have much to gripe about. It seems this car is practically perfect in every possible way; the only thing anyone could complain about is if the looks aren't for them. If that could be said about every GM car, I don't think GM would be in any of the trouble they're currently in.

:withstupid:

One thing I did see was that there was no obvious mention of the "build quality" and "plastics". Probably that is the window they might open to bitch about, once the G-8 comes through.