MG Is Back!

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Nanjing MG range

The Nanjing-MG range debuted at the Shanghai Motor Show - a highlight in all ways - except none of the cars are new designs. Presented along with several classic MGs and with much 'British' pomp, Nanjing Automobile was making much play of how their new MG range is authentic, whilst SAIC had to create a new 'British' brand, Roewe, replete with heraldic logo under which they sell the Rover 75 based 750E model. Nanjing bought the rights to the MG name, the intellectual rights to the design of the models they produce, and the tooling for these cars.

Where once MG was an acronym for Morris Garages, it is now officially an acronym for Modern Gentleman, and the original ZR, ZS, ZT and TF (nee Rover 25, 45 and 75) have been renamed 3Z, 5Z, 7Z and WZ respectively.

Now just buy Chrysler and Ford you guys, change FMC to mean Fine Motor Cars, and lets just partyyyyy!!! :pbjtime:

Posted Image Edited by YellowJacket894

So by naming it 'Modern Gentleman' , they are alienating the female half of the population. I guess maybe out there, the man still decides the vehicle, but still... I'm sure many women out there would love an open topped convertible, but hate to drive a vehicle with that name.

Then again... it may be a brilliant idea. After all, with the way they all seem to selectively choose sons for the family, maybe in a few years there won't BE any female buyers in the future.

April Fools was 6 weeks ago. :lol:

Guest YellowJacket894

April Fools was 6 weeks ago. :lol:

It's not a joke, bub. :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

I know but it SHOULD be.

Umm wow; a 3-, 5- and 7-series. How strikingly original.

Pic is really small, but looks like 3 different brands from up here.

'British'? yeah; right. That's some awfully squiggly English on the background banner.

Wonder if the famous MG reliability & quality is going to be 'authentic', too.

Balthazar raises a good point.

Those horrific Chinese Quality Control methods may

well prove to be Lucas Electronics style authentic.

Anyway I say the Chinese start making Plymouths:

P pleasing

L lightweight

Y youthful

M motoring

O ownership

U unparalleled

T to

H Hong Kong

Posted Image

Now just buy Chrysler and Ford you guys, change FMC to mean Fine Motor Cars, and lets just partyyyyy!!! :pbjtime:

Posted Image

Ummm, most of this is pure BS. The cars for one are actually named MG3, MG5, MG7 and MG TF. While NAC MG is producing the MG7 in the same short and lwb versions as Rover, SAIC's Roewe 750 is a new intermediate size model. The Chinese approximation of MG chosen by NAC is Ming Jue, which is not "modern gentleman", but (rank of) a feudal Chinese noble NACMG translates as "Duke". NACMG also uses the phrase "Chu Ming Jue", in which the characters for "chu ming" combine to alter the meaning to "famous/prestigious duke".

www.nacmg.com/en/

Any way you spell it, it is still a cheap knock-off of a once-proud British marque. Another (literal) carbon copy of an original from China. I like some of the things GM is doing over there with Buick, but I swear, every other Chinese car is a retarded, stunted copy of something better made elsewhere.

Any way you spell it, it is still a cheap knock-off of a once-proud British marque. Another (literal) carbon copy of an original from China. I like some of the things GM is doing over there with Buick, but I swear, every other Chinese car is a retarded, stunted copy of something better made elsewhere.

I wouldn't call them knockoffs, since they are actual owners of the marque and has the rights to all the designs, unlike the TorreX 330 and the Colorado copies. Much like what BMW did with Mini. MG Rover went bankrupt and was sold to them.