Tommy

I don't know how many here have ever seen the movie "Tommy," but I'm sure many have heard The Who song Pinball Wizard. My dad has this movie on VHS and I remember watching it once when I was probably 5 years old. Today I looked up some of the clips on YouTube and it's still as weird as ever. My dad loves this movie though...him and his 70s rock operas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTj4dKCQc8...ted&search=

Also, I don't know how many know of Manfred Mann's Earth Band, but I've always loved this song of theirs and I found a couple clips on YouTube. This song was featured in the movie "Blow" and it's another one in my dad's collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg

Edited by mustang84

You're forgetting it was the 70's you have to be High when you watch these! Then it will all make sense! Stoners rule! :smilewide:

Don't feel bad about 70's rock, I've aquired a taste for it, my parents use to drag me to rock concerts in the Mid-Atlantic area. My 1st concert with them was in 1979 when I was 10 years old in Philadelphia at the old JFK Stadium. I still remember the groups that played this 12 hour concert, Yes, Gary Wright and Peter Frampton, oh yes and the Mummers who the crowd threw garbage at. So yeah I feel your pain! :spin:

Here is Yes playing at that concert, I'm in the crowd somewhere, with my parents. The concert was 12 noon to 12 midnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBXKSmz-Z2k

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I've never seen Tommy, but I do remember watching The Wall while stoned in grad school about 15 years ago.

Though I grew up in the '80s, there is a lot of '70s music that I love....esp. Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac....never got into disco or punk, but I like new wave/post-punk late '70s into the '80s... (Elvis Costello, The Cars, Joy Division, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, etc) along with lots of '80s music..

If I could live in any other era than the present, I think I would like to have been in my 20s and in the UK from about 1967-1975 or so..

I like quite a bit of 70s rock too...sometimes it's a nice switch up from my 80s collection. I'm a big Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Eric Clapton, KISS, Foreigner, and Boston. Also, I have a decent collection of early Judas Priest before they made it big with British Steel. I'd say my favorite period of music is 1983-90 though...a lot of good stuff came out during that time. Sometimes I wish I was born 15 years earlier.

Tommy is a must-see movie - even for those who aren't buzzed. I saw the movie at the theatre when I was about 14. Even though I am gay, I remember thinking, "Ann Margaret is so hot!" Tina Turner was so funky! As rock operas go, Tommy is one of the best ones made. I remember a Caddy convertible scene. I remember those cool old Zenith white TVs.

Great movie.