I'm heading to Wilmington in the morning...

I tried to get my mom to buy an '81 Chevette. She almost did it. I still think they were tough as nails, good little cars. She ended up with a Renault Le Car, which she loved. It served her well.

As far as the GM Card earnings not being accepted, I get the feeling there is some weird internal reasoning behind this or the result of some petty squabbling at some point in the past. The explanation I received was way too verbose to be real - that the inherent value pricing of a Saturn means one doesn't need to use earnings to save on top of that and that Saturn's intent is to conquest import intenders who don't have GM Card earnings anyway, etc. Doesn't make sense to me either.

My reply to those verbose BS statement would have been that does Saturn not want previous and current GM owners to buy Saturn vehicles?

The Saturn of yore was a "different" company with different product portfolio and budget. With the new Saturn considering how homogenized it is to the GM pantheon, that discrimination does not make sense.

My reply to those verbose BS statement would have been that does Saturn not want previous and current GM owners to buy Saturn vehicles?

The Saturn of yore was a "different" company with different product portfolio and budget. With the new Saturn considering how homogenized it is to the GM pantheon, that discrimination does not make sense.

That was the point I made to Andrea. I told her that I realize that Saturn's goal has always been to attract foreign car owners (Toyota, Honda, etc) and anybody that would never consider a GM vehicle. However, now that GM recognizes Saturn as a division (see those little GM badges on each Saturn vehicle?), why rule out current GM owners. I pointed out to her that not only did I buy my SKY in April, but in November I leased an AURA (that replaced another GM division's vehicle). I also said that I have quite a few earnings accumulated, that my Envoy lease expires next year, and my earnings and where I can spend them will influence my decision (seeing as how we may buy our next vehicle). I told her that I can either have three Saturns in my driveway, or two and another GM division gets my money. I wasn't cockey about it, but I wanted to get my point across. She said that she understands and agrees, but it's in Jill L's hands to make the decision and she'll go back and communicate it again that the buying force wants to be able to use their GM Card earnings.

Here I have started a draft while doing some analysis at work. It is not complete. I will try to finish it by the end of the day.

Take a look at it and tell me if it is going in the right direction. The red denotes incomplete part. Tell me if more points need to be added.

Dear Ms. Ladjiak,

First of all we all here at Cheersandgears.com would like to congratulate you and Saturn team in general, for bringing out exciting automobiles over the last couple of years and pumping in more fun, reliability, and excitement in GM’s youngest division to augment its already stellar customer service and relationship. We would like to also thank you for the opportunity Saturn presented for one of our representatives (Brian D.) for attending the Saturn’s Brand Convocation held in April 2007.

The new vehicles from Saturn namely Aura, Outlook, Sky, Vue and upcoming Astra have not only grappled the people who usually prefer a foreign branded vehicle but also hardcore GM enthusiasts who boast allegiance to the brand names which their family has bought for generations. Speaking of whom, we think that they are somewhat feeling left behind for not using their hard earned GM card cash reward points on Saturn vehicles. As a website of enthusiasts of GM automobiles, which Saturn is a part of, we would like to suggest the Saturn team to start the acceptance of GM cards rewards program.

As you very well know Saturn started as a brand under the GM umbrella with different product portfolio and its own marketing budget to create a “blue ocean” of no-haggle pricing and stellar customer relationship. However, over the past few years, Saturn has seen integration to the mainstream GM products and revenue. Saturn is sharing GM…….

First, an existing customer is the one …... In some ways they are conquest customers as they might have not considered Saturn as their vehicle to own.

Second, those GM enthusiasts who have collected thousands of dollars on their GM cards and want Saturn vehicles will be turned to going in a different GM brand and may be disappointed in the discrimination. As we said in the first point it is easier to attract an existing customer (in this case customer of GM) and keep him/her happy as then to spend resources and time to attract a new customer.

Third, as we have learned that Saturn has the general philosophy of inherent value pricing of a Saturn means one doesn't need to use earnings to save on top of that. I think it only gives us the general notion of

We fully understand that Saturn executives might have valid reasons and perceptions for not integrating GM card cash backs into their program. But I think in order to bring in the continual growth that Saturn is aiming for and even more loyalty among Saturn’s customers acceptance of reward points through GM card is a win-win situation for both Saturn as well as GM card members.

Thank you for your time and we genuinely hope that Saturn makes a decision in the right direction.

Cheersandgears.com

Edited by smallchevy

The fender-mounted side marker lights are not included on the Opel GT or Daewoo G2x... I was going to ask why, but I overheard an engineer say to another Kappa owner that it has to do with European regulations (about the Opel GT). I wanted to ask more about it, but got sidetracked and after taking the pics of the cars in the lot, remembered but it was too late!

Thanks for the reply!

Euro side markers have to be amber, so most american cars don't have them. Euro-spec STS and Corvette are the only exceptions I remember seeing with 4 amber side markers... What I find strabge is the lack of a side-mounted turn signal, as I believe they are mandatory around here... Maybe those were pilot cars and the ones actually being exported will have them.

Thanks for the reply!

Euro side markers have to be amber, so most american cars don't have them. Euro-spec STS and Corvette are the only exceptions I remember seeing with 4 amber side markers... What I find strabge is the lack of a side-mounted turn signal, as I believe they are mandatory around here... Maybe those were pilot cars and the ones actually being exported will have them.

Isn't the EU standard that the rear turn signal be amber colored too? :scratchchin:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Isn't the EU standard that the rear turn signal be amber colored too? :scratchchin:

Yep, and front parking lamps have to be white, not amber like some US cars have (Buick Lucerne, for example). Rear fog lamps are mandatory as well.

ZL-1, the production Opels out in the shipping lots do not have those side-marker lights. I thought it was mandatory in Europe? The taillights are different on the Opel/Daewoo from the Saturn. The best way I can describe it is that the top 1/3 is all silver (not sure if it lights up or not), whereas the SKY's is all red and lights up. There is a rear foglight on the Opel/Daewoo, it's incorporated in the rear backup light (split in half, white & red).

the production Opels out in the shipping lots do not have those side-marker lights. I thought it was mandatory in Europe?

I always thought the side mounted turn signals (not markers that illuminate with the headlamps) were mandatory in Europe, but they may be a convention and not an obligation. I really don't know...

The taillights are different on the Opel/Daewoo from the Saturn. The best way I can describe it is that the top 1/3 is all silver (not sure if it lights up or not), whereas the SKY's is all red and lights up. There is a rear foglight on the Opel/Daewoo, it's incorporated in the rear backup light (split in half, white & red).

The silver part is where the amber turn signals are.

Fu*k... that's what I need to buy for a fuel economy champ.

an early 80s Chevette, perhaps I can find a M22 4-speed

equiped diesel, and I'd onnly ever need metric tools to work

on the little sucker.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not make teh tour -- But HI!

Welcome to C&G Rick... you may know me as "GMguy74" over at skyroadster.com, but here I go as "GMTruckGuy74". Even though you missed out on the wonderful Wilmington tour, you & FlyBrian (Brian DeGreggors) still lucked out with the Saturn Advocacy Brand Board trip!