GMTruckGuy74

I'm heading to Wilmington in the morning...

69 posts in this topic

Posted Image

The day has finally arrived... tomorrow, Saturday May 19 is the infamous skyroadster.com (and sister Solstice site) Mecca Tour to the Wilmington, Delaware Kappa plant. Believe it or not, it was posted on skyroadster.com today that this will be the first tour EVER in the Wilmington plant. Approximately 200 lucky SKY, Solstice, RL and GXP owners and their guests will be given the opportunity to get a one and a half hour tour of the plant, lunch in the employee cafeteria (courtesy of GM), give-aways from Pontiac & Saturn, a small car show by the Kappa owners on property, display trucks by both Pontiac & Saturn, and the chance to bid on some unique GM items to raise cash for charity (items have not been discussed - part of the "surprise"). Due to GM's stringent regulations and rules (as outlined in the waiver required to enter the plant), no cameras or camera phones will be allowed IN the facilty; however, pictures outside of the plant are allowed - so look forward to pictures only of the attendees and not inside of the plant. There are two tours scheduled - 6:45AM and 7:45AM (of which I am part of) - not happy to wake up for work during the week, but it's never a problem for anything car-related on the weekends!

While there have been many SKY/Solstice drives and gatherings over the last two years (one for SKY), this is the first GM-sponsored Kappa event where the owners will see the "birthplace" of their cars. How many GM owners can say that they saw how their car was manufactured? Needless to say I'm very excited, as this will be the very first event I attend with owners of the same car I love (and hopefully many more to come). My 13 y-o stepson Anthony will be my guest at this event - and he's even excited about it. Although not a writer, I will try to summarize the day when I get home and get a chance to get on the computer. I'll try to post whatever pictures I take too.

So at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning, I will venture down I-295 South towards Delaware to see where my car came to life. Wish me luck for a safe drive and pray that any rain that thinks it will fall gets blown out over the ocean! :lol: Edited by GMTruckGuy74

looks like a pneumatic lift

The day has finally arrived... tomorrow, Saturday May 19 is the infamous skyroadster.com (and sister Solstice site) Mecca Tour to the Wilmington, Delaware Kappa plant.

If Rick Buda is there, tell him I said hi. :wavey:

What are the black and yellow things under the cars in the fifth pic down?

They are called Skillets. Skillets allow workers to remain stationary while doing final assembly work, instead of chasing a moving assembly line. The name is a contraction of " skid " and "pal let. "

Oh and it's not the 1st ever tour in the Wilmington plant. Tours used to come through quite often in Wilmington 12 years ago. They are just less frequent now. Even my Grandmother in Germany has toured the Wilmington plant! Tell them they need to get their facts straight! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Damn- this is too late to catch you, GTG, but I wanted to suggest you break away from the tour, sneak to the most un-used & dusty section of the plant and see if you can find any crated parts date-stamped 1959...

Pics you say?

Posted Image

That is a V8 in the bay so that isn't at the Kappa plant. It seems like it would be the Vette plant in BG.

Cool! Being semi close to that, I've always wished I could see it inside and up close.

That is a V8 in the bay so that isn't at the Kappa plant. It seems like it would be the Vette plant in BG.

Oh yes it is, that is the 3rd floor where new designs and plans are studied to see what it would entail to build certain aspects of cars in a real assembly plant, in real time. GM was testing this along with Opel at the time, to get something up and running along the lines of what Mallett does, but to do it inhouse instead. Do you think Holden is the only one that can experiment with cool V8 stuff? Nahhh!

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

http://www.mallettcars.com/index.html

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Very Cool!

Chris

Oh yes it is, that is the 3rd floor where new designs and plans are studied to see what it would entail to build certain aspects of cars in a real assembly plant, in real time. GM was testing this along with Opel at the time, to get something up and running along the lines of what Mallett does, but to do it inhouse instead. Do you think Holden is the only one that can experiment with cool V8 stuff? Nahhh!

Now, THAT is cool. :thumbsup:

Thanks, PCS.

Awesome pics!

Looks like a GREAT time :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Happiness ain't never how you think it should be so" ... Duncan Sheik ... 'She Runs Away'

Are you SURE about that?

Posted Image

Posted Image

you call that a assembly line?

It was the worst job to have in the day. I was a welder on the Cadillac line welded the rear structure on Eldo's

you call that a assembly line?

It was the worst job to have in the day. I was a welder on the Cadillac line welded the rear structure on Eldo's

Yeah, yeah and when I went to school the snow was up to my knees! :smilewide:

In reality though Its still a suicidal job, But Its much more laded back now. Plus easier and safer. I remember non stop working for the full 10+hours Only 2 10 minute breaks and 1/2 hour lunch. Which sucked because they where staggered because the cover guys could only hold 7 jobs at a time so you only had lunch with the same 3-4 guys everyday. It was very labor intensive I think i had 90 seconds to weld a 2 foot section that held the rear suspension up so its a pretty vital part. Every shirt i had was burned up. I remember going to the salvation army on Saturday and buying 6 shirts just to get trashed and caught on fire. Last Year i got to see the Pontiac assembly plant. And people could talk to each other and some guy gets almost 3-4 minutes to install a interior panel then gets to mess around with his cell phone. The entire line shuts down for breaks and Lunch. At Conner's if the line shut down there have better been some guy dead or someone got decapitated because they would be furious and threaten you your job for shutting the line down. Although they couldn't because we had Union reps.

I didn't mean to sound Like a crotchety old man talking about "back in the day" I was just trying to point out how times have changed definably for the better!

Edited by capriceman

Yep, it's a brave new world on the assembly line. I have never worked on it. Oh and I did post a smilely when I answered you!

I know I was just stating because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Sorry that I haven't posted an after-tour follow up... it was a busy day witht he family and I just uploaded all 9 images (too many, I know :P ) to Photobucket to post here. I started writing my follow up, but it's late, work comes early, and I need an excuse to play on the Internet tomorrow!

Love seeing that V8 nestled in between those frame rails. Either way, 4 or 8 cylinder

Kappas all rule. RWD for the masses.

As far as that welding job, Crazy Stuff Capriceman...

Also, Balthazar had the right idea, any high nickel content blocks hanging around?

Sorry Balthazar & Sixty8, no leftover '50s parts for you guys :cry:

First, some pictures that I took (remember, no cameras were allowed in the factory and had to remain outside of the gates):

Wilmington Plant sign (SKY on this side, Solstice on the other side):

Posted Image

The outside of the factory (mainly the office, training, & cafeteria areas):

Posted Image

Member's cars in the designated parking area:

Posted Image

A Polar White Redline SKY (you don't see many SKYs, RL or regular, in white):

Posted Image

Pictures of Kappas waiting to be loaded (onto car carriers or trains):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some SKY/Solstice soon-to-be owners will be happy soon:

Posted Image

Thanks for the Pictures Sir,

:thumbsup:

The white RL Sky looks gorgeous IMO. It looks more expensive and stylish.

Never could say that for a white colored vehicle before.