The Quixtar cult

I found out recently that my best friend from high school and his girlfriend are members of Quixtar, successor to the pyramid-scheme Amway that has been around since the 70s. He first mentioned something to me a couple weeks ago when we were golfing about making money and only having to work a few hours a week by selling things. I was kinda interested because it sounded pretty easy (I assumed it was just some on-line business type of thing) and he told me it was called Quixtar.

But something about that name hung in the back of my mind later that evening when I was back home I remembered a guy trying to recruit me to Quixtar when I was a sophomore in college and thinking it was probably some type of scam so I just politely said I wasn't interested.

Then tonight I get a facebook message from him to all of his friends saying how "this opportunity could change your life" and buzz words like "business-savvy" and got to thinking that this doesn't sound like the guy I have been friends with since 7th grade. Well, I did my research and sure enough, Quixtar sounds like a pyramid scheme. What the fine print tells you is that the average Quixtar IBO earns only $125 a month, and that doesn't include the $60 motivational books and videos that people get hooked on. Quixtar drums it into your head that if you aren't making lots of money, you just aren't savvy enough to run a business and you should buy some motivational books to help you get your feet planted. They have huge conventions in South Carolina that are pretty much like cult-fests where people pay to hear advice and tips on how to make more money...meanwhile, the guys at the top are making like 3/4 of their money off the motivational crap and not the actual product (and another secret...most of them have successful jobs that mask the fact that they only make pennies with Quixtar).

Apparently some people get so addicted to Quixtar that ditch their long-time friends who have no interest in becoming part of the "family." They rely so much on these Quixtar gatherings and conventions and trying to recruit new members that they don't have time for those who have no interest in joining. I have no idea how long my friend has been a part of this but I hope common sense gets to him and he doesn't become one of them. There is no such thing as easy money.

Haha... My mom used to be in it. My aunt was for years. That's how she wrecked her Grand Am... She was coming home from a Quixtar party and was a bit tipsy, to say the least. It didn't seem like that bad of a program, honestly. You just had to really work at it to find success in it. My aunt did for a while. The products you could buy were of high quality, as well... My dad still says they had the best coffee you could buy. :P

The really sad thing is that so many in Quixtar are convinced that they'll be retired and living in the Bahamas by age 30. Where it all falls apart is the fact that you have to continually keep recruiting people in order to make more money. And the uplines as they're called keep loading you down with more product to sell. Some get to a breaking point where Quixtar takes over their life and they have to abandon their jobs, families, and friends and anyone who has no interest in becoming their downline. One guy that was a high ranking member and left because of the dishonesty received death threats to both himself and his family. He has a free 300 page PDF book out called "Merchants of Deception" that I've read a little bit of and is kinda interesting.

I remember when I was just starting College, and pyramid schemes were getting big... a few of my friends actually got into it, though I don't know (didn't bother asking) where it got them. I do remember one of the "head guys" used to drive a yellow Lamborghini with a sticker of the scheme's name on each side of the car (I think it was 2-by-2.net???). Anyway... I thought these things finally died!

Careful there Drew, Tom Cruise might come to your house and go all Mission Impossible on you, lol.

:lol:

Did you guys hear about how Germany won't let him film at some historic location because he is a scientologist!

Edited by AAS

Apparently some people get so addicted to Quixtar that ditch their long-time friends who have no interest in becoming part of the "family."

There is no such thing as easy money.

JUST SAY NO! as Nancy Reagan would have said. If that doesn't work, JUST SAY "f@#k YOU." (Pardon my French)

Sorry, but I categorically hate anyone who is into these kinds of things.

When I first moved into Portland after architecture school, this guy and his wife would always talk to me at the gym. They were in the same line of work as me. They talked about other business opportunities and wanted to meet for lunch. It turned out to be Amway and not our line of business. I was furious. In fact, since Pacific Northwesterners are such unfriendly assholes where the natives don't take to the transplants, compared to Californians, in my estimation, I came to learn that too friendly of a come-on at Barnes and Noble or elsewhere in the NW was typically Amway. It´s like mega-church evangelism for people who can't think for themselves.

Also, a skill or professional license is a "barrier to entry." We know from basic Economics 101, when there is no barrier to entry, markets become overcrowded and profits are thinned out. But tell this to the idiotic morons who take to pyramid schemes.

It´s like mega-church evangelism for people who can't think for themselves.

That pretty much sums it up. It amazes me that in this day and age with the internet and more information than ever available at our fingertips, people are becoming more gullible and using less common sense. You can spend five minutes reading on the internet how deceitful Quixtar is, yet millions of newbies are sucked into its grasp each year. I just don't understand people sometimes.

JUST SAY NO! as Nancy Reagan would have said. If that doesn't work, JUST SAY "f@#k YOU." (Pardon my French)

When I first moved into Portland after architecture school, this guy and his wife would always talk to me at the gym. They were in the same line of work as me. They talked about other business opportunities and wanted to meet for lunch. It turned out to be Amway and not our line of business. I was furious. In fact, since Pacific Northwesterners are such unfriendly assholes where the natives don't take to the transplants, compared to Californians, in my estimation, I came to learn that too friendly of a come-on at Barnes and Noble or elsewhere in the NW was typically Amway. It´s like mega-church evangelism for people who can't think for themselves.

Also, a skill or professional license is a "barrier to entry." We know from basic Economics 101, when there is no barrier to entry, markets become overcrowded and profits are thinned out. But tell this to the idiotic morons who take to pyramid schemes.

Hate is a strong word there buddy, do you mean dislike? Can you feel my Chevy LUV? :wub:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

A few months back this rather attractive guy kept making eye contact with me in the Lowes. I was all over the store because I have the memory of a gnat if I don't bring a list with me.... and I keep running into this guy. Anyway, I'm finally done and waiting in line and he takes position behind me <with just a pack of batteries I might add>, looks at all the stuff I'm buying and starts up a conversation. At first I think he's hitting on me.... but then the line comes "Are you satisfied with the amount of free time and money you have? Have I ever though of starting my own business?".

Ugh.

I tell him I already own my own business. I"m working hard but will likely retire by 30 <true> and that I'm not interested in some MLM scheme. He gives me his card anyway and we both leave.

Best part is when he tries again a few months later in the Barns & Noble. He didn't recognize me, but I recognized him. I toy with him for a while... casual conversation and all that... make him follow me all over the store. "The line" comes again... and I say, "That didn't work when you asked me that in the Lowes 3 months ago and it won't work now either."

He was aghast and embarrassed and excused himself.

It's ashame these groups do this to people cause this one was really hot. Hopefully he'll go get counseling.

.... but then the line comes "Are you satisfied with the amount of free time and money you have? ".

Best part is when he tries again a few months later in the Barns & Noble. He didn't recognize me, but I recognized him.

Exactly. Exactly.

That is the line they use. If by about the 4th or 5th question, they ask you where you work or what you do, it's MULTI-LEVEL. I would never in a million years "do business" with the mediocre people that would flock to such a thing, but they don't differentiate because they themselves don't get it.

I am no longer nice. I go off on them, especially when they insult my intelligence.

One nerdy guy (who looked like Mr. Magoo) and his dumpy wife used to make a circuit of the bookstore/cafes in the Sacramento area. They even hit on a Muslim couple who told me what they were up to and didn't buy into it.

I then saw them talking to a younger couple they had nothing in common with in an aisle of books. I had a notebook, as I was studying. I opened it to a blank page and wrote AMWAY. I walked through the aisle and held it up behind Mr. Magoo's head so this young couple could see it. They nodded and smiled. I closed it right away so Magoo and fatty couldn't see it.

What's sad is that they ruin people's enjoyment of places such as B&N, Borders and Starbucks.