GM selling its share of Fuji Heavy Industries

Endo

Good riddance, they got nothing out of that partnership. Saab 9-2X was the first "collaboration" (after several years) and it proved to be a huge flop. GM's CEOs need to realize that internal investment in GM's own divisions is the way to go. These guys think they can buy stakes in other companies like Subaru and Fiat, and effectively pay someone else to make cars for them. Doesn't work.

The only thing I can make of this is GM needs cash and Toyota's deep pockets are helping GM unload their stake in Fuji. I can think of no other reason why Toyota would invest in Fuji. Toyota needs Fuji like GM needs more division. Now this begs the question, why does GM need the cash so bad? Delphi? Edited by evok

The only thing I can make of this is GM needs cash and Toyota's deep pockets are helping GM unload their stake in Fuji.

I can think of no other reason why Toyota would invest in Fuji.  Toyota needs Fuji like GM needs more division.

Now this begs the question, why does GM need the cash so bad?

Delphi?

[post="24292"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What does this do to the SAAB 9-6X?

Another example of GM throwing cash away....

GM gained nothing from the relationship yet Subaru got $$$. Just like with Fiat and just like with Suzuki (The HF V6 and Theta)

Still, I do not agree with decreasing the size of the company and I think Fuji was probably a good investment IF they could've made it work.

Whatever I guess.... Shrink, and give the naysayers what they want.

What does this do to the SAAB 9-6X?

[post="24298"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Subaru based 96x has been canceled. Will it still be made.......who knows.

I can think of no other reason why Toyota would invest in Fuji. Toyota needs Fuji like GM needs more division.

Somtehing nobody has stated yet is the long lasting hybrid battery tech that Subaru is working on currently. According to Subaru, it lasts a lot longer than Toyota's.

they need isuzu for small trucks, need saab for europe, do they need suzuki?

Suzuki can give GM some good small engine tech, and SAAB could bring some Euro-luxury to the USA market to compete with the other Euro-luxury makes (Keep Cadillac an American luxury car, with American styling). Isuzu............hmmm.........

Toyota wants Isuzu's deisel engine technology just like GM did for teh Duramax project. I am telling you... Toyota wants to build a formidible truck portfolio and having some serious leading edge deisel technology will pave the way. When Toyota enters the HD market with LD trucks they will need a diesel engine. Next after that they will probably go for the heart of the American truck industry which is the W class or 2.5 ton and above. International best be light on their feet...

Out of concern for GM's plight, Okuda has recently suggested Toyota raise the price of car models in the United States. Toyota raised prices soon after, but denied the move was to placate U.S. automakers.

Nice stab... When was the last time a company actually did this... never?! Anyone who buys this is defintaley on something and should share!

Toyota wants Isuzu's deisel engine technology just like GM did for teh Duramax project.  I am telling you... Toyota wants to build a formidible truck portfolio and having some serious leading edge deisel technology will pave the way.

When Toyota enters the HD market with LD trucks they will need a diesel engine.  Next after that they will probably go for the heart of the American truck industry which is the W class or 2.5 ton and above.  International best be light on their feet...

[post="24759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Toyota does own Heavy truck maker HINO so it is unlikely they would need ISUZU for the their diesel engine. HINO is more than capable of supplying diesel engine to TOYOTA should the need arise. Toyota is a fairly conservative company that really doesnt believe in buying out the competition unlike GM. So any ISUZU buyout by Toyota anytime soon is highly unlikely. Edited by andy82471

The only thing I can make of this is GM needs cash and Toyota's deep pockets are helping GM unload their stake in Fuji.

I can think of no other reason why Toyota would invest in Fuji.  Toyota needs Fuji like GM needs more division.

Now this begs the question, why does GM need the cash so bad?

Delphi?

[post="24292"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, that's it.......Toyota did this to "help" GM. Just like they are going to raise their prices to "help" the domestic automakers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's it.......Toyota did this to "help" GM.  Just like they are going to raise their prices to "help" the domestic automakers.   :rolleyes:

[post="24806"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup..Don't under estimate corporate politics and the GM/Toyota long term relationship. Edited by evok

Yup..Don't under estimate corporate politics and the GM/Toyota long term relationship.

[post="24815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, if that's the case, then I'm sure there will be a nice article released in every major American publication stating that Toyota is "yet again" helping GM out of the goodness of their hearts. Toyota cannot go without heaps of praise for their "good deeds".

Even though I'm pretty sure it's not true.

Well, if that's the case, then I'm sure there will be a nice article released in every major American publication stating that Toyota is "yet again" helping GM out of the goodness of their hearts.  Toyota cannot go without heaps of praise for their "good deeds".

Even though I'm pretty sure it's not true.

[post="24821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Believe what you want!

Honestly... it's not as if GM couldn't sell its investment to anyone... Toyota could really be viewed as helping out Fuji more than GM. It's never gentle on your stock price or market perception when an investor walks away. Yes, GM has its issues at the moment, but if the stock wasn’t sold to a reputable investor like Toyota, then some could speculate something could also be wrong at Fuji.