I've Got a Fever...

And the only prescription is a '68-72 Corvette. Someone talk me out of it! I want to buy one, maybe next spring. I want to just keep an eye out for one that's really, really cheap (aka a car that's been sitting around and needs a lot of TLC) and then restore it to look exactly how I want it to sound, look, and feel. I've been fantasizing over Corvettes for the last year or so very badly. At this point, I'd even give up my Cobalt for extra money to restore a '68-72 Stingray and buy a cheap Grand Prix for a winter car or something.

On a side note, two of my very good friends totalled their Camaros in the past 3 months. One was a 2000 Z28 built by GMPP and the other was the, yes the, Series III.

Edited by NOS2006

Solong as you do not put yourself into financial distress.... DO IT!!!

Guest YellowJacket894

Eh, if you can nab one cheap enough, go for it. Otherwise, take that money and use it as a down payment on the new Camaro next fall if the dealer isn't marking it ... err ... I mean "adjusting" the MSRP.

Not at all...In fact, I was waiting to see "and the only prescription is more cowbell." When I opened up the thread...but I was sadly disappointed.

Frank, take it from me...don't get yourself into any $h! until you can afford to. I'm paying for my car still, and it's not fun...While I love my car, debt and financial obligations aren't a thing we should be getting into at our ages. While having a project car would be cool, unless you can keep it strictly a hobby, and not being obligated to throw money into it constantly, then I wouldn't consider it just yet. That day will come.

haha I love the cowbell skit...

Anyway, like I said, this might be next summer if I decide to pursue it. I'm getting the new Camaro, definitely, but I'm waiting until 2011 when I'm closer to graduation and can pay for it no problem. At that time, I'll probably get rid of the Cobalt and buy an older, used car (Grand Prix, Bonneville, ...) a few months later for the winter/crappy weather. But, again, that won't be until I'm close to graduation and ready to land a truly full-time job (instead of working full-time only half the year). Meanwhile, if I don't spend any or much money on the Cobalt, I don't think I'd be committing a crime by spending some of my extra money on a project car, so long as I don't splurge and do everything at once. If I were to buy one, the first thing I'd do is bodywork, which should be cheaper than engine/brakes/suspension.

I don't think that's very prudent to do while in school... You would probably have to keep it in storage for like 9 months a year, and you shouldn't have to worry about the car breaking down every time you need to go somewhere.

Yes, and I think we all got the cowbell annalogy, although we were saddly dissapointed.

On a side note, two of my very good friends totalled their Camaros in the past 3 months. One was a 2000 Z28 built by GMPP and the other was the, yes the, Series III.

Meanwhile, nobody caught the second half of my post...

Please tell me it wasn't done in by a Toyota. I'm sur a part of you died when you heard that. Kind of like the time my dad drove past a Corvette shop and saw his former '65 being converted to an automatic.

Careful, NOS. The Corvette bug is a progressive disease. It only gets worse over time. If I had the space, I'd love to take on a well-cared-for C4 or C5. I do have a couple of questions for you about your pending C3 purchase

- How much work are you willing to take on? A full frame-off or just a "fix whatever isn't perfect" car?

- How much do you care about originality?

- What engine/tranny combo are you most interested in (forget the L88 or ZL1)

The more flexible you are in these three areas, the more attainable a C3 will become. 'll be more than happy to share what I've learned from the time I started looking for one until now. Let me know when you're ready. For now, pick up "The Corvette Black Book" - it'll give you the approximate value of the C3 you're looking for given the engine/tranny/options that it has.

How much time am I willing to spend? Well, it's a C3 Corvette. If you're not willing to spend time to make it absolutely perfect, I don't think you should own one, unless you buy it already fully restored and just have to do regular maintenance. Therefore, there's a good chance I'd take my merry time and strip her all the way down to the frame and do every drop of paint myself. Sand 'er down real well everywhere, paint her, and make her look good.

Engine? It doesn't really matter. All engines are buildable, but I'd have to research to find out which engine would be the easiest/cheapest to find parts for. I'm sure big HP and great sound is attainable with all of the engines, from the 327 all the way to the 427, but I'd probably only be able to find a 327 for an good price. Transmission's got to be the four speed manual now that I can drive a stick lol.

Originality doesn't really matter to me. I don't exactly need matching numbers or anything like that. I'm not a car collector, just a young dude hoping to be able to attain a car I've been drooling over for awhile. Then take pride in it and be able to say I did everything to the car myself. I fully understand that it would take a lot of time, money, and patience, but I'm more than willing to put that effort in.

Hmmm, sounds like a good Photoshop to start working on...

NOS, if you don't care if it's nu,bers matching and really want to rebuild EVERYTHING from the ground up get a a battered but solid body and frame with a dead engine or none at all. Should be realtivley cheap. You completley strip the car and repair all interior exterior damage. Then you buy a remanufactured 427 block and build it from the ground up. Add car A to engine B and volia, you have a kickass ride.

DO NOT DO THIS! Many of you have seen my '57 Buick wagon...I love the car - HATE the financial distress it is causing me.

Some quick figures: If you buy the car for say $7k...figure on another $10,500 in the least to get her perfect IF you do tons of work yourself. Always figure 1 1/2 times or more of the initial cost of the car - and we all know Corvette parts are cheap :P .

Next: Figure you plan on storing it in a garage other than your own...now comes the calls of "get it out of here" or we are moving and need it cleaned out...that stress is even better.

Wait until you are settled and can get one that is done. Buy the most car you can and as close to where you need it to be as possible.