of Chevrolet & Cadillacs I think to myself, whatever the

heck happened to the DEATH of the V8?

We've got about 28 cars here and more than HALF of

them are powered by a V8s.

Silverado, Trailblazer, two STS V8s, one STS-V, SRX-V8,

XLR, XLR-V, 3 Escalades, 2 DTS, Impala SS, Trailblazer

SS, Avalanche, 'Burban, Monte Carlo SS, not to mention

upstairs on the second floor showroom we have seven

Corvettes, 2 of them Z06s powered by the 7.0 liter LS7!

And before you ask how many V8s are actually on the lot

I'll jump the gun and tell you the "over half are V8s" rule

applies.

We've got rows & rows of hot selling Tahoes, Suburbans,

Silverados, Silverado classics, Express Vans, several

more Impala SS & a couple Monte SS as well as most of

the Cadillacs being V8 powered... (all of our inventory of

SRXs is No.Star powered)

Not to mention the Lexus GS430 we took in trade the

other day, 3 used Vettes, one used XLR, and all kinds of

other used inventory powered by 8 pistons like an ugly

Sequoia or one of several Rams.

I think it is safe to say that modern fuel injection and

DOD has made the future of the V8 more secure than

it has been in a half century when inline six motors were

being dropped by divisions who wanted an ALL-V8 lineup.

Thoughts...? :ph34r: Where is Evok anyway?

The V8 is dead for the average passenger car, that's a fact that can't be denied. Tally up all the Northstars and 5.3ls and compare it to number the 350s of just 30 years; you cannot compare. In a world where modern V6s have the output and performance of past V8s, it simply makes no sense as a volume engine in passenger cars. Six cylinders off the balance of power and economy that most of the buying public needs and I don't see what's wrong with that. V8s are not for everyone, nor should they be.

However, it is still a prestige engine and always will be. More sensible than a V10, 12, etc and typically not as high-strung as a six cylinder at high operating speeds. V8s sound different - they're stronger, more substantive, more intimidating. They seem to 'breath' easier and turn slower at midrange (50-80mph) speeds. Plus, nothing beats telling someone you have a V8.

I will say economically, V8s are surprising in certain applications. My Murano rental and its 3.5l VQ-derived V6 mated to a CVT was driven for nearly 4,000 miles over five and half weeks andreturned 17.1 mpg. My V8 Aurora with a 4-speed automatic returns 17-19mpg on a regular basis. Wuh? Buh? Yeah, that's right. Ignoring the fact that the Murano was a pathetic drive, I'd rather have the V8.

But, again, V8s as volume engines? Never again. V8s dead? Never. Just smaller in numbers and geared towards performance and luxury applications, therefore making them all the better.

I will say economically, V8s are surprising in certain applications. My Murano rental and its 3.5l VQ-derived V6 mated to a CVT was driven for nearly 4,000 miles over five and half weeks andreturned 17.1 mpg. My V8 Aurora with a 4-speed automatic returns 17-19mpg on a regular basis. Wuh? Buh? Yeah, that's right. Ignoring the fact that the Murano was a pathetic drive, I'd rather have the V8.

I have to agree with that. I average around 20-21mpg with a 400hp V8. My brother with a 3.5L Charger gets about the same, maybe 1-2 mpg better, if that. My previous car, a Grand Prix GTP with 240hp V6, I averaged 22mpg.

Yes Moltar, of course that's true but you will NEVER see me sell Hon-Duhs or Toy-Oh-Durs. :spin:

I have to agree with that. I average around 20-21mpg with a 400hp V8. My brother with a 3.5L Charger gets about the same, maybe 1-2 mpg better, if that. My previous car, a Grand Prix GTP with 240hp V6, I averaged 22mpg.

I wouldn't be surprised if my mom's X5 with the V8 gets better mileage than the I6. They were very close in terms of mileage on paper, but I bet the V8 could edge out the I6 slightly.

My mom averages 18.5 or so, which isn't bad at all. I have an older version of the same engine in my car, and I barely average 18, and my car is much more aerodynamic and weighs a good half ton less...granted, I have a stick, and the way I drive isn't conducive for good mileage...but still...

Edited by Nick

You do NOT ucfk with American's V8s. :wink:

Yes... but I'm not complaining, I get to sell TWO of my favorite GM brands instead of just one.

I'm so damn old I got to sell Pontiacs AND Chevys off the same showroom back in the day. :P

Yes... but I'm not complaining, I get to sell TWO of my favorite GM brands instead of just one.

I'm so damn old I got to sell Pontiacs AND Chevys off the same showroom back in the day. :P

Aren't you like 20-something?

Don't say that...I'm 20 now...you're making me feel old. Not cool. :P

Nick: I'm 28. But it's funny how my tastes are that of a baby-boomer.

Yes, well, come to Brookville and you will see Chevy, Cadillac, Buick and Pontiac all in the same showroom.

Yeah, yeah, and everyone there attended a one room schoolhouse too. You're still trying to get someone/anyone into Brookville. I'm afraid to go to Brookville, I heard once you go there you can never get out, just like Burkittsville, Maryland. I saw the movie "The Blair Witch Project", you won't get me up there! :P

Yeah, yeah, and everyone there attended a one room schoolhouse too. You're still trying to get someone/anyone into Brookville. I'm afraid to go to Brookville, I heard once you go there you can never get out, just like Burkittsville, Maryland. I saw the movie "The Blair Witch Project", you won't get me up there! :P

Just remember ONE thing BV, incest is wrong and illegal :lol:

Remember, 68, you are at a Chevy-Cadillac dealer..your percentages would be different at a Honda or Toyota dealer.

not to mention honda has no v8's... but i bet some trade-in's on thier lots are.

Bet you'd also make more money selling Hondas or Toyotas.

I am NOT a whore.

And from what I have heard it's six of one half dozen of another.

The Toyota dealership across the steet might do better than us

on occassion but they also have MORE salesman so your slice

of the pie is smaller....