evolution of the CTS plus new caddy drive trains

intrigued

I wanted to round up a few different thoughts and rumors about the new CTS under one topic. It has been disucussed in various posts but not all at once, so here it goes...

Is the new CTS being realigned with the BMW 5 series?

The price has gone up in the new generation but it still drastically undercuts the 5er.

The size of the cars are almost identicle.

I'd say with the 3.6 pfi and CTS compares very favoriably with the new 528. The 3.6 DI is only about .2 slower to 60 than the 535 so there is a good competitor for that car. What there isn't right now is a non V series v8 option to combat the 550.

I've heard and read rumors that the new dohc ultra v8 is slated to make it into the 2010, slightly refreshed CTS.

Is there any truth to this rumor? Personally i think that it would be great to realign the CTS to directly, though for a more resonable price, compete with the 5er.

And as for the Ultra v8 which I hear will start production in '09 do we know anything about it's stats? I've hear its an evolutionary develpment of the HF v6s and would likely range in displacment from 4.8 - 5.5 liters and have VVT and DI. What do you think the power figures would be? What cars are going to get it?

Also if the CTS does move up to squarley compete with the 5er and the new alpha car competes with the 3 series what becomes of the STS/DTS? That's one of the biggest mysteries. I've heard no solid rumors on that.

So to sum up here are the topics to comment on.

1. Will the new CTS square off with the 5/e class cars and get a new dohc v8 to help in these regards?

2. what info or speculation do we have on the new ultra v8?

3. What will become of the STS/DTS assuming the CTS move up a class?

I hope so. IMO a DI 2.8L for export models (maybe replacing the non-DI 3.6L in the US as well) and a mid-level V8 would be key, but the DTS/STS successor has to be taken care of first: a V8 CTS (non-V) runs the risk of obliterating the STS. Also, progressively aligning the CTS with the 5-Series opens up space (i) for a BLS successor, and (ii) for Buick and Pontiac to have some breathing room with regards to pricing.

The price has gone up in the new generation but it still drastically undercuts the 5er.

Cadillac can only dream of being able to price the CTS as high as the 5-Series. It will take quite a few years of very consistent product to get there. It can be done, but it will take time, money and commitment.

1. Will the new CTS square off with the 5/e class cars and get a new dohc v8 to help in these regards?

i'd look for folks with inside facts to substantiate, but i'd go along the lines of

1. biggest problem the CTS has is that there is no alpha car under it. hence it has to wear the 'entry-lux' moniker and provide caddy a lower price point. if there was an alpha, caddy could afford to up the price on cts. (motor trend or r&t did a comparo of cts with 5series and Eclass and some others and CTS won. cause they were factoeing price, the cts was loaded while others were not. i suspect if u compare 08CTS with 535 and E350 it would be a pretty good compare and caddy would fare well on merit, agnostic of price.)

re: V8 - yes, when it is available, but it will be a low volume unit. with 304hp from the 6, the 8 is not really needed (shame the CTS names don't convey the engines like bmw and mb - as you know those clowns with the 335 and 545 insist on making sure you know it is not a 328 or 530. (buick prob the only other division with a shot at getting that engine)

2. no freakin clue. i suspect it will exceed the 320hp of the NS, otherwise what is the point!!!

3. STS/DTS will merge and move to zeta (gm4life - don't bother with your DTS needs to stay FWD nonsense again, pls). it will likely be less of a 'sport sedan' and more of a luxury sedan.

shame the platforms couldn't be released at same time, it would make sense to name the alpha caddy the CTS (since BTS name sucks) and name current CTS the STS and have the zeta car carry the DTS label as it would be the spiritual succssor to the deville. (I'd name the 'Son of Sixteen' the Fleetwood or the LaSalle - if it ever came to market and i'd go after the Bentley Continental GT and Flying Spur)

I wanted to round up a few different thoughts and rumors about the new CTS under one topic. It has been disucussed in various posts but not all at once, so here it goes...

The size of the cars are almost identicle.

I'd say with the 3.6 pfi and CTS compares very favoriably with the new 528. The 3.6 DI is only about .2 slower to 60 than the 535 so there is a good competitor for that car. What there isn't right now is a non V series v8 option to combat the 550.

I've heard and read rumors that the new dohc ultra v8 is slated to make it into the 2010, slightly refreshed CTS.

Is there any truth to this rumor? Personally i think that it would be great to realign the CTS to directly, though for a more resonable price, compete with the 5er.

And as for the Ultra v8 which I hear will start production in '09 do we know anything about it's stats? I've hear its an evolutionary develpment of the HF v6s and would likely range in displacment from 4.8 - 5.5 liters and have VVT and DI. What do you think the power figures would be? What cars are going to get it?

Also if the CTS does move up to squarley compete with the 5er and the new alpha car competes with the 3 series what becomes of the STS/DTS? That's one of the biggest mysteries. I've heard no solid rumors on that.

According to rumors on other forums

1 Yes

2 4.6 l to 5.5 l (maybe even 6.0 l) DI,vvt 90° cylinder bank angle, maybe forced induction for V series (in begining it will probably have ls3 with supercharger;lsA) power speculations are from 380-400+ hp in cadillac (it will also be used in acadia if i remeber some of the rumors)

3 STS/dts becomes one model on zeta platform.

This is the rumors i've heard.

Edited by dado

I love the new CTS, but I don't understand all the repositioning of models. Instead of moving the CTS up, putting the B*S below it, and having a completely new car above it, why didn't they just keep them in their current slots and given them all updates? e.g., the STS would've been redesigned like the CTS was, the CTS instead would recieveing a minor update like the STS did, and the new large (RWD) sedan could just be called DTS. That way the traditional Caddy lineup would still exist, but be just as good as the new proposed one.

3. STS/DTS will merge and move to zeta (gm4life - don't bother with your DTS needs to stay FWD nonsense again, pls). it will likely be less of a 'sport sedan' and more of a luxury sedan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually will comment on it and say this. The DTS outsold all other Cadillac models in 2006 and that speaks for itself. The traditional Cadillac buyers who are traditionally very loyal pay cash for these babies. Cadillac/GM should get to work on updating the platform and give them a 6spd. automatic. They can be a real player in the market. I think they need one large FWD sedan and a RWD one. The STS needs to grow closer in size the SLS like in China. That would make the most sense to me. Getting rid of a good selling car and leaving people to go to what an Avalon? Or ES-350 if they want FWD are we asking to piss sales away. The G's are still remarkable car, a little past experation date sure but some work would certainly fix. If they do own DTS/STS in RWD it better be priced similarly to the DTS and max out a 60K or people will just get a 7 Series. Just my 5 cents. Sorry you disagree with me.

In addition to the V8, CTS also needs to get some of the techno gadgetry that's available on the 5-series and E-class to be competitive -- adaptive cruise, 20-way power adjustable front seats, HUD, electronic trunk closing, front parking sensors, power rear sunshade etc. At least some of these will make it to the MCE according to rumors.

According to rumors on other forums

1 Yes

2 4.6 l to 5.5 l (maybe even 6.0 l) DI,vvt 90° cylinder bank angle, maybe forced induction for V series (in begining it will probably have ls3 with supercharger;lsA) power speculations are from 380-400+ hp in cadillac (it will also be used in acadia if i remeber some of the rumors)

3 STS/dts becomes one model on zeta platform.

This is the rumors i've heard.

I would expect it to have at least 380HP in the smallest size. A 4.6L with the same HP/L as the 3.6L would have 385HP, and a 5.5L would have 460HP.