Starting to look for first car,help please haha?

2chevs

Well, I would like a reliable GM car, mainly because used imports are overated with price and are not cheap to repair. I was thinking Alero or Grand Am about 2000-02 and I know from many the Alero is a pretty good car, but I always liked the Grand Am SE a bit more, is the Grand Am any good, and if not what would you guys suggest as a good GM car, or any car really in 2000 - 02. Price is a factor. No Ford or Chrysler cars... sorry to fans of them haha.

used Saturn S-Series w/DOHC are pretty peppy (in the 15's quarter mile), reliable (often go well over 200k), efficient (35mpg highway, 25 city), very safe for their size (space frame construction), and easy to work on, plus cheap parts. :) I'm a little biased, though.

The cars you mention would probably be ok, too, and were sold in enough volume that they should be easy to find and cheap.

My max is about 13 or 14, well I would give the S-series a shot, but my family has purchased two used S-series in the past and they have been nothing but money leeches and my dad would never go for it, but then again the two in the family, one was a work car and the other hit about 2 deers haha. Is the 2000 era Malibu, Grand Prix, or Intrigue reliable? Theres been 2 2000 Impalas in our family, I know for a fact they're good cars, just dont car for them so much.

Hmmm...

2000+ Mailbu- Cheap to get, 3.1 is very solid...

2000+ Cavalier-besides the annoying dash "rattle" or "shake", these cars tend to be very good first cars . Quite often they can be found under 7 grand with low miles. Just avoid the 2000-01 Z24s with the 2.4, as this engine tends to have water pump issues...ones with the 2.2 or 2.2 Ecotec will run for a long time and are very dependable...like the 3.1 above, with care 150,000 miles no no problems...

2000+ Century- same dependable 3.1, but more toys for the money. Easy to find low milage versions, as the owners selling are either too old to drive or dead... :blink::lol: -just kidding) Often well cared for-and if you like sunroofs and leather....

2000 S-series- Freakin kick butt first cars...they run forever, and they don't rust...can't beat that. The 1.9 is pokey, but is quite good on gas. depends if you want a coupe or sedan....though both are nice looking...and tend to be pretty cheap....

These are just a few...I can add more.... :yes:

2000+ Century- same dependable 3.1, but more toys for the money. Easy to find low milage versions, as the owners selling are either too old to drive or dead... :blink::lol: -just kidding) Often well cared for-and if you like sunroofs and leather....

Yeah, the 3.1L is a big hit, and yeah, there's more fact than fiction to the "too old to drive or dead" comment. Go for the Century or Malibu

Thanks dave87rs, I will deff. consider all years of the GP now, and thats the second recommendation of the S-series I will have to check it out, I like that car anyways, and I dont want to go to my max because I'd like money to spend on stuff for car and some left aside for anything, thats why I'm leaning towards cars in 2002.

If you like changing front brakes often, go for the Mailbu. I hate to say it of all the N-body cars (Malibu, Cutlass, Alero, and Grand Am), the Malibu will eat the front brakes off it in no time. Go with either an Impala, Century, Regal, Grand Prix, or Intrigue. They are all well balanced cars and don't have near the troubles of some of the other cars. The Cavalier is also a good choice, but if you are already looking at at least an N-body (judging from your first post), then the Cav may be a little small for you to begin with. So far, everyone's made good suggestions, I'd just shy away from the Malibus, unless you're talking about the new-er body Malibu (I think the first year of the redesign was '03, maybe '04), then you'll be good to go.

Nah my parents actually own a redesigned Malibu, 06 Navy Blue, not bad, but I've made my decision. My parents are helping me out alot so I making a stretch with cash and were gonna see if we can get an 03 Grand am we found actually, thanks for everyones help!

Guest YellowJacket894

2000 S-series- Freakin kick butt first cars...they run forever, and they don't rust...can't beat that. The 1.9 is pokey, but is quite good on gas.

Actually, it's a 2.2L four. If you go the four-banger route, get a manual transmission, so you can wind the sonuvabitch to 4500 RPMs and actually get some power out of it.

I put 20 in it about a week ago, got me a half-tank. Still has just a notch under that. And I have to say that my S10 is reliable; still has the original clutch after 159,000 miles worth of city driving and having me learn how to drive a manual.

If I was going to get another S10, though, I would get an Xtreme if I wanted a two-wheel drive truck or a ZR2 if I wanted a four-wheel drive truck. Those trucks have some visual personality. My main beef with my S10 is that it looked a little boring stock before I started investing in it.

And if the S10 doesn't suit you, go for a Grand Prix GTP coupe or sedan. That's what I'm looking into right now, other than V6 Camaros, etc.

Trueeee I forgot about the Lumina. Hmm, they run pretty cheap no?

Well, I can't speak for 95+ but the '90 was pretty trouble-free (went to 220,000 miles) and the '94 has been great except for the head-gasket we replaced recently. The 3100 is a solid engine, as are 3800s...and they get good highway mileage. Luminas are also fairly roomy (I'm 6'4" and I fit well in mine) with decent-sized trunks. They can be bought for cheap, too.