Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FUTURE_OF_GM

$8000 Rebate on Tundra

112 posts in this topic

HARRELSON TOYOTA

One of my local Toyota dealers is running an ad for 8K off of the Tundra.

Once upon a time, when GM was giving $8000 back to customers in order fo them to purchase a truck it was called "Bribing the consumer to buy their product." according to our fabulous media.

Now that Toyota is doing it, all we hear is 1) Nothing 2) About how Toyota is "serious about selling trucks" or 3) About how good the Tundra is selling(!!!!!1111!!11) Remember; it kinda-sorta, in a way, maybe, quite possibly is out selling the GMC Sierra this year.

It pisses me off that the media isn't harassing Toyota about this (Obviously because thy're not american and becuase the media isn't working over Toyota to bleed share and profits like they were the big 3) but what makes me happy is this: If the Turdra already needs close to 10K to move off the lots, imagine what the future holds as the 'new product luster' wears off and fuel prices continue to be a factor.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

HARRELSON TOYOTA

Once upon a time, when GM was giving $8000 back to customers in order fo them to purchase a truck it was called "Bribing the consumer to buy their product." according to our fabulous media.

Now that Toyota is doing it, all we hear is 1) Nothing 2) About how Toyota is "serious about selling trucks" or 3) About how good the Tundra is selling(!!!!!1111!!11) Remember; it kinda-sorta, in a way, maybe, quite possibly is out selling the GMC Sierra this year.

It pisses me off that the media isn't harassing Toyota about this (Obviously because thy're not american and becuase the media isn't working over Toyota to bleed share and profits like they were the big 3) but what makes me happy is this: If the Turdra already needs close to 10K to move off the lots, imagine what the future holds as the 'new product luster' wears off and fuel prices continue to be a factor.

So what if the dealer offers a huge cash-back incentive?

That's not the same as a manufacturer's rebate.....

It may not be the same... but it's not entirely different either. Would the dealer or the manufacturer be giving a $8k rebate if people were buying them at or near sticker? HECK NO.

The dealer would need a BIG manufacture rebate to get there. Whether it was a front end rebate, or a back end rebate doesn't matter.

Fairly easy pickings for Toyota. They want quick market share in a segment where the domestics by and large make a good product, and they have the cash to make it happen. Once Toyota converts a Big Three owner to a Tundra they'll do everything they can to hold on to them. Tundra will be rivaling Silverado, F-Series and Ram sales within 10 years. They'll buy the market share if they have to. Bank on it.

Fairly easy pickings for Toyota. They want quick market share in a segment where the domestics by and large make a good product, and they have the cash to make it happen. Once Toyota converts a Big Three owner to a Tundra they'll do everything they can to hold on to them. Tundra will be rivaling Silverado, F-Series and Ram sales within 10 years. They'll try to buy the market share because they have to. And they will fail bank on it.

Fixed.

Is there a direct link to ad itself?

Wouldn't the $5k on the hood and invoice pricing get you about there on the highline product?

Is there a direct link to ad itself?

Wouldn't the $5k on the hood and invoice pricing get you about there on the highline product?

Also....which truck is the $8K on...?

Is it the hard-to-sell regular cab?

Perhaps it's on a "loss-leader" to get people into the showroom? An "ad" truck?

Toyota has been building mostly well-equipped extended cab versions and the huge rebates have been moving them to the "I don't really need a truck" crowd. Once that market is exhausted, more trouble is coming their way. Will they then be as willing to try to tap the 3/4 and 1-ton markets with all of the expense involved?

Maybe.

But this is a gamble, even for cash-rich Toyota.

It's not as if the 1/2 ton is anything like a "home run".

This could potentially come to be known as "Toyota's Folly"

I hope it does.

Toyota has peaked. Time for someone else to rise above and have Toyota overly criticized for the next 20 years.

huge discounts will ruin their resale. so they are sacrificing resale for market share.

if this were GM folks would rip them. does toyota get a pass for this?

reliability has already taken a major hit......exploding engines. from a company with a big history of poor engineering (engine sludge).

why does it make sense to buy a tundra?

resale-no

reliability-no

styling-no

interior-gosh no unless you like the feel of trash cans and want bad dreams at night

price-maybe with rebates, but it was clearly to high to begin with

safety-no, they can't even make 5 star

dealer network-no

reputation-brand, maybe, pickups, no

performance, the engine and tranny are documented to be decent performance wise.

add all this up and you pretty much have to be foolish to plunk down the big bucks on a questionable product like this.

at least with chevy and ford you are getting product and value that has been proven for many years. buy a new turd and you are taking a BIG chance. I would not risk using a turd for medium duty considering how weak suspensions are on toyotas passenger cars.

it's your money. I'd suggest you read the broken FJ cruiser frame thread and then tell me you want to buy a toyota for a tough duty application.

Edited by regfootball

But will the Toyota Tundra ever get close to out-selling a domestic truck... Maybe but I hope not... Will they please tell me no. To go along with this I guy I know got a new black Tundra 4WD to replace his 99 Town Car he buys all his cars at the Lincoln, Mercury and Toyota dealer. They also own a 01 Town Car and a Mercury Marauder. What a waist he really wanted a Navigator. I fear he's hooked.

Here's the video. It's a hands-down win for the F-150 and the Tundra is pathetic. The Silverado is mid-pack in this test.

Toyota is going to destroy the Tundra's resale values. It's really fascinating to watch Toyota make the same mistakes that GM and Ford were lambasted for. I read a while back that Toyota's profit margins were narrowing due to its explosive growth in America...how much longer can they afford to practically give these things away before it starts damaging both their reputation and the bottom line? Never mind that the Tundra hasn't even proven itself...if the frame or camshaft issues become widespread, it's over for the Tundra.

I'm going to bet that a year from now, Tundra flops like the Titan did.

Where was that mantra when Detroit was throwing out cash?

Just another excuse to fudge what's really happening; or has happened (Typical of the import minded) The Tundra is pretty much a flop, I mean, it hasn't even been on the market for a year and it already needs almost 1/3 of the price back to move off of lots.

They'll buy the market share if they have to. Bank on it.

I agree..

And no, the ad is running on TV and I couldn't find a link to it.

Is it the hard-to-sell regular cab?

The ad includes an extended cab truck that looks to be top of the line. Now, whether or not that translates to what's actully being peddled on the lot could be a different story.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

It will be factory rebates, although much of it may be in the form of "dealer incentives", which they don't have to pass along, and thus not usually counted as a rebate. The big regional distributors (SE Toyota and Gulf States Toyota) will offer their own rebates (and different D+H charges than elsewhere in the country) as well.

HARRELSON TOYOTA

did you even visit the dealer's website, they even list Tundra's incentive there.

FOG as a matter of fact the Tundra's rebates are smaller than GM's.

so here are some FACTs

Toyota gives $3000 cash

GM gives $3500 or $4000 in cash

Toyota offers

1.9% APR for a 5 year loan

GM offers

1.9 APR for a 6 year loan

another fact

GM cut 1000 workers or the third shift at their Oshawa truck two days ago.

here are more facts

last July sales

Silverado sales were off 26.5% (46,997)

Avalance sales were off 35.4% (4,164)

Sierra sales were off 27.9% (15,892)

last June

Silverado sales were off 26.4% (44,955)

Avalanche sales were off 16.5% (4,327)

Sierra sales were off 29.2% (15,187)

here are what Tundra sales have been like since it went on sale, notice a trend

Feb 9,669

Mar 13,196

Apr 14,200

May 17,727

June 21,727

July 23,150

did you really the average truck buyer cares about:

3 videos released by Ford

a Toyota exec saying a small number of camshafts were failing

a safety rating when 5000lb vehicle is run into a solid wall

oh and from my experience I was down in Houston a week ago, I encountered the Tundra about 4 (probably 6 times) more frequently than the GMT-900 pickups

here in west Texas the Tundra is about 1/3 as popular for now. In the next 6mo I expect to be seeing the Tundra as often as the GMT-900 pickups

Edited by toyoguy

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0