Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How NC State Highway Patrol became cool

The NC Troopers have these as well as Tahoes, Cherokees, Durangos and Harley Davidsons.

That's not counting the 2 choppers and countless unmarked cars. The strangest unmarked cars I've ever seen: 1 tan LeSabre and 1 light blue Lesabre. I've also seen Mercury Grand Marquis and even one time witnessed a Merc GM nose on a police Interceptor CV.

ive seen a couple chargers around here... the scariest police fleet in my area has got to be the one in a town about 5 miles from me... all they have is chargers and mustangs

The Massachusetts State Police have recently picked up a couple Chargers but really only give them to their most senior troopers. My friend's girlfriend's father is a retired MA State Police captain and turned down a new Charger because he liked his Crown Victoria better, as do most of the officers from what I hear. I recently talked to a trooper at work who told me that most of the troopers find them fun to drive, but they don't take the abuse like a Crown Victoria and the old B-bodies do.

Here's a link to a neat site of a guy who's compiled a ton of old photos of Massachusetts State Police cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Although I hate our state troopers with a passion (I can count all of the good ones I know on one hand with room to spare), I find their cars to be pretty good looking. All in all, we've had some pretty neat stuff over the years, save for the momentary lapse in judgement someone in the purchasing department had in the early 1980's when it was decided that it would be a good idea to buy Dodge St. Regises :banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeopzls/policecars/id11.html

Edited by XP715

Wow ... that's a cool link, XP.

One minor query, tho ... the pic labeled as a 1988 Caprice Classic ... I'm wondering if that's actually an '86 Caprice. As far as I know, the '87 and up Caprice Classics had a "euro" flush-headlight treatment, instead of the single/open headlamps that particular Caprice has. If that is an '88, then I'll need to revise the years of Caprices I'll look for for a winter beater ;). I like the "euro" treatment better...he he.

As for the Chargers .. sweet ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"...Dierks Bently...'What Was I Thinking?'