A Little Closer

Intrepidation

Well this week the Prizm accident was finally settled for 1,494.66, including keeping the car.

Not what I wanted but better than what they were going to give me. I found out that the original offer was not for $1,500 but for $1,015 - $100 to keep the car...so $915

I had wanted $2,425 but I just couldn't get that price from them. As it terns out, cruise control, which was optional only on LSi models was factory installed on this base model...I found the bad news out from the original owner. It looked like I'd be stuck with a base model offer of...well...$h!

However I must extend a huge thank you to GM. I called them up several weeks ago asking how I could identify the trim level of the car. They were very polite, even though they took a while. In the end they weren't able to help me because there was a number missing from the spare tire cover that would have otherwise identified the trim level. So the woman I spoke to said she would have GM send out a complete restoration kit for the Prizm at no charge. This would include the options available for the car and anything else I could possibly want to know...including 30 pages of certified GM restoration and machine shops.

A week later it came in the mail...it was like 60 pages of goodies. On the options sheet was confirmation that the cruise control was only available on the LSi. So I sent that (official GM paperwork) and a myriad of other paperwork to Liberty Mutual...and they gave me close to $600 more for the car than they were going to. they said they couldn't go any higher than that...so I accepted.

$1,494.66 + $245 (reimbursement for the towing fees) + $200 (reimbursement from Enterprise) = $1,939.66

I despise Liberty Mutual at this point...it took them almost 2 months for this, and most of that time was waisted because the person handling my claim either wasn't at the desk, or wouldn't return my calls.

Next step is to get the checks, then repair the Prizm and put it back on the road.

Even though I didn't get as much as I wanted, I still get the last laugh because they spent over $900 for me to drive that rental. I got to drive a brand new car for what will be 2 months, I'll have leftover cash, and the Prizm will get a new paint job out of it. 8)

Edited by Dodgefan

Even though I didn't get as much as I wanted, I still get the last laugh because they spent over $900 for me to drive that rental. I got to drive a brand new car for what will be 2 months, I'll have leftover cash, and the Prizm will get a new paint job out of it. 8)

Congratulations. This is a strikingly similar result to my 'total' collision, so I'm glad it worked out that way!

But I do lol at a Prizm Restoration Kit. :P

DF:

Cool, good to hear you're making progress....................... finally.

Now I wonder what I can get out of GM for my B-59.

"Prizm Restoration Kit" :P

The restoration kit is very neat to have...since, like I said, it tells you everything you could possibly want to know about your car. It even has the the press release for that year on it. There's a lot of information on where to get parts, have things machined, rebuilt, and cleaned and so on.

All I had to do to get one was call Chevrolet (the number for each division is listed on GM's website), spend about 2 hours with them (they had technical problems apparently, but at least they were very, very, polite) and request a restoration kit for the make, model, and year. I didn't actually request it, the offered, but I'm assuming they will send you one anyway. It didn't cost me a dime.

I cannot believe some DORK at GM didn't know enough to punch your VIN number into GM's VIS system and pull up your original equipment and trim levels, etc. It takes about 30 seconds, and at my fingertips is all the info you'd ever need.

On the brighter side, what the heck is a restoration kit?? Hell, what's a prizm??????????????????? LOL Or is the restoration kit their way of saying "sorry for building the prizm??" Just asking :P

Edited by staceface

It might be cool to get one of those for the Cavalier... How much do you think it would cost?

Didn't cost me a dime 8)

I cannot believe some DORK at GM didn't know enough to punch your VIN number into GM's VIS system and pull up your original equipment and trim levels, etc. It takes about 30 seconds, and at my fingertips is all the info you'd ever need.

On the brighter side, what the heck is a restoration kit?? Hell, what's a prizm??????????????????? LOL Or is the restoration kit their way of saying "sorry for building the prizm??" Just asking :P

Restoration kit is, as said before, a 60 or so page kit that tells you eveything you could want to know about your car, and lists GM parts and machine shops and so on...do you guyds read the posts before asking? :P

If they were to send a letter of apology for building a car it would be for the J-bodies before the Prizm :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Dodgefan