SPY SHOTS! Cadillac CTS Diesel

Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! Cadillac CTS Diesel Spotted Undergoing Testing
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ World Car Fans

No, this isn't a half clapped-out Cadillac CTS. Infact, it's a new diesel version of the CTS undergoing testing on European soil. The oil-burning CTS is being tested on the European continent due to its abundance of engineers with experience of diesel technology and has been thought up to tackle the increasing diesel-powered segment in the States, as well as to offer a viable alternative to petrol CTS models in world markets.

Our source suggests that the 1.9-litre turbodiesel unit used in the BLS is likely not to make the Stateside CTS line-up, with the introduction of Opel's 184 hp 3.0-litre V6 being the preferred powertrain. However, capable of 56 mpg on the combined cycle, the 1.9-litre unit may make a late range entry should the V6 take initial preference. Opel's 3.0 V6 as featured in the Vectra range provides a 41 mpg combined figure.

While the transplanting of the GM stablemate's 3.0 V6 into the CTS is likely, the in-house engineered unit of choice for the firm may very well be a 2.9-litre V6 turbodiesel, premiered at this year's Geneva Motor Show. It was however maintained in an announcement at the show that the 250 hp unit was likely to be sold only in European-spec Cadillacs, taking on Europe's finest with the all-new engine.

Speculation is sure to be rife ahead of the oil-burning CTS' debut, so stay with us for further details.

More Photos @ World Car Fans

--The original article does say STS...but its totally not.

I want one, now. Love the current car, 3.6L and all, but team the car up with a very Euro-like diesel in performance and efficiency, and I'm ready to sign.

SO glad to see it's real, too, and not just a rumor.

Edited by caddycruiser

What they're testing must be the 2.9L V6. The TTid 1.9L I4 would be an interesting alternative to the 520d as lower priced diesel (perfect for company car sales), but I don't know if there's a RWD version of that engine.

On another note, it seems we in Europe will be stuck with the cheap-tuner-look white tail lights: :nono: and :thumbsdown:

Edited by ZL-1

Well obviously once this thing is in production there is no way that you will see this type of exhaust soot coming out. They are probably working from a baseline calibration up to a prodcution cal, they do that all the time, you can go from running so fat to perfection in no amount of time.

Are the engineers sure they didn't put unleaded petrol in the diesel car? ;) Seriously, this car will sell at a very brisk rate if that engine can achieve 30-40 mpg. I just wonder what will be the added cost for the diesel over the standard petrol model.

Are the engineers sure they didn't put unleaded petrol in the diesel car? ;) Seriously, this car will sell at a very brisk rate if that engine can achieve 30-40 mpg. I just wonder what will be the added cost for the diesel over the standard petrol model.

according to Lutz, the cost differential is the same as if they used hybrid technology.

What they're testing must be the 2.9L V6. The TTid 1.9L I4 would be an interesting alternative to the 520d as lower priced diesel (perfect for company car sales), but I don't know if there's a RWD version of that engine.

On another note, it seems we in Europe will be stuck with the cheap-tuner-look white tail lights: :nono: and :thumbsdown:

Complain to the Stupid European Union who says auto's have to have those lights and that stupid single rear fog light and all the rest of the bull$h! regs they put in place for new auto's. Then have them build some real roads to compliment the autobahn. The only fun place to drive.

Over all this Diesel ROCKS!!! :hot:

Yea while all the exhaust is not pretty, this is clearly an early base line on this auto and not any where near production.

Complain to the Stupid European Union

No, I'll complain to Cadillac people that apparently have never seen at the VW Phaeton's tail light covers: no amber cover, yet the turn signal LEDs light amber. Must be some sort of miracle by VW's suppliers...

Over all this Diesel ROCKS!!! :hot:

:yes: wholly agreed on that one! Diesels' fat torque curve would be appreciated by American drivers.

The new 2.9 liter engine is the way to go, it makes over 410 lb-ft of torque, that is nearly 140 more than the DI 3.6 engine. Of course they also need to make it clean, and 50 state emissions compliant. If it is 0-60 in under 6 seconds and making 30-35 mpg people will buy.