Random Thread Part V

Cory Wolfe

'97-03 GP was perhaps the greatest generation of Grand Prix in terms of popularity and design. They still look good today, in many ways better than the '04.

I love when people say "cheap-ass overcladded Pontiacs like the Grand Prix" as it goes to show just how much bias vs. knowledge they have about cars. And also speaks of their visual accuity.

2001 SEMA GP40
Posted Image

Stock
Posted Image

Stock
Posted Image

Its simply a well-proportioned, handsome sedan.

I agree that the last generation GP was the best-looking (except for the early bottom breathing SE). It was a clean design with no cladding, just subtle rocker panels. I even liked the pumpkin taillights. The only thing I didn't like was the various rear spoilers, none of which was attractive. I would have much preferred the current GP be a slightly edgier version of the last GP than the current version, which has styling that accentuates the front overhang.

I agree that the last generation GP was the best-looking (except for the early bottom breathing SE).

Poor Attempt:
Posted Image

Good Attempt:
Posted Image

I even liked the pumpkin taillights.

That's the one thing I didn't care about that gen.. I actually perfer the (on every sincle car style) 04+ taillights

As a teenage kid in the mid 1990s seeing the Grand Prix 300 GPX at the international Autoshow was the equivelant of a religious experience. That car had the muscle car stance and proportions. Too bad it's mechanicals were a tad dissapointing because the styling was awsome. This car made the Taurus SHO and INtrepid look like @$$.

Okay... here was one of my favorite '97-'03 Grand Prix models that was never produced:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was either a '99 or '00 model. I remember it coming out when I was working for a Pontiac dealership.

The wife had leased a 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan in the dark blue. I really enjoyed that car for the 2 1/2 years we had it (early pull-ahead, she got the Rendezvous next).

I was severly disappointed when the 2004's came out. I test drove one and liked the new power, ride and handling features - but the overall cheapness of the interior, the front seats, and the poor exterior styling turned me completely off. I hope the next GP (or is it G8???) makes a splash in the looks department!

Yes, the Grand Prix is probably the best looking Pontiac ever (which may explain why I like the GTO so much...). They just look so damn evil, especially in black. I'm not really feeling the convertible job above, though. BTW, BV: You need to stop calling these "Random Threads" when they're all about Pontiacs. :P

Headlight covers: retarded... but thta chick sure could come in handy breaking in that back seat in this 4dr. :)

Posted Image

Beware: viewer discresion advised: :(

http://www.grandprix.net/multimedia/gtp1.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's a great profile.... where the last gen. Taurus failed the G/P & Intrigue excelled. Sleek but sporty elegance.

http://krizk10.tripod.com/sitebuilderconte...ures/avatar.jpg

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Yeah... I love those GPs as well. They look great and have great powertrain options. The cladding was a bit much, but still looked good regardless. The interior wasn't too bad either... I mean, material wise, it sucked. Design wise, it wasn't bad. Although, the TGPs were 89 and 90 only. So... I had to get technical with you. :P