Yet another positive Malibu review!

2QuickZ's

Malibu delivers (as promised)

Redesigned sedan is the full package, with style and excellent performance

Nothing is more boring for a newspaper than a company actually doing what it said it would do.

General Motors Corp. promised the world it was going to make a fantastic midsize sedan. We scoffed.

The company said this car would have a world-class interior. The press snickered, while toying with different headlines: "Malibu busts" or "Mali-Snooze."

We were wrong.

The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu surpasses the hype -- it's better than GM says. And that's something in today's hyperbolic marketing campaigns, where over-promising and under-delivering is as common as "The Simpsons" reruns. The Malibu, however, has more journalists dining on crow than any other recently launched vehicle. Allow me to be the next: If this car can't roll Chevys off the lot, nothing can.

The rest of the story can be read HERE

not that I'm against a positive review, but....

It cranked out 169 horsepower and had 160 pound-feet of torque. Despite the car's hefty weight of 3,600 pounds, it moved along well. Mated to a six-speed automatic transmission -- the first four-banger to come with a six-speed automatic in the segment

1. How did he get a car that GM hasn't produced yet?

2. The Passat was the first car with 4 cylinder - 6 speed combo.

just putting that out there since we'd be the first to rip an inaccurate Toyota review to shreds.

after thinking about this a bit more and looking at the option packages.... Chevy really needs to consider adding the Turbo Ecotec engine as an option from the middle of the range on up. I should be able to get a loaded Malibu LTZ turbo. It'd probably help CAFE too....

I noticed that about the 4 cylinder/6 speed combo also when I first read the article. Obviously he was confused.

after thinking about this a bit more and looking at the option packages.... Chevy really needs to consider adding the Turbo Ecotec engine as an option from the middle of the range on up. I should be able to get a loaded Malibu LTZ turbo. It'd probably help CAFE too....

I said the same thing in a different thread. They already have turbo ecotech's in the epsilon platform (via Saab). Rather than use a high pressure turbo 2.0L to get 210 hp, they could use a larger displacement engine with a lighter pressure turbo. Say 2.4L and keep the compression ratio a bit higher since it would be light pressure anyway? The turbo ecotech's get great gas milage in the Saab's. We had a 2005 9-3 linear with the light pressure, 175 hp engine and that car averaged 26 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving and got 32 - 36 mpg on two different trips we took from Michigan to Florida. Plus, it used regular unleaded. Edited by 2QuickZ's

not that I'm against a positive review, but....

1. How did he get a car that GM hasn't produced yet?

2. The Passat was the first car with 4 cylinder - 6 speed combo.

just putting that out there since we'd be the first to rip an inaccurate Toyota review to shreds.

According to some other reviews, it appears GM has some 4 cylinder/6 speed auto Malibu's at the big testing in Tennessee. One of the auto magazines commented on this (can't remember which one). Kind of like a preview of whats to come.

According to some other reviews, it appears GM has some 4 cylinder/6 speed auto Malibu's at the big testing in Tennessee. One of the auto magazines commented on this (can't remember which one). Kind of like a preview of whats to come.

ah... that might explain it. Still Posted Image @ GM for not offering it at launch.

I'd like to see a return of Turbo 4's to midsize sedans. Chrysler used to be very good at it...it'd be sweet to have the 285 hp Turbo from the Caliber...then the Avenger would make more power than it's top V6.A Malibu with the Cobalt SS's Turbo 4 would be sweet too.

Yep, and since theres more room under the hood you could slap on a bigger turbo :AH-HA_wink:

I'd liek to see a return of Turbo 4's to midsize sedans. Chrysler used to be very good at it...it'd be sweet to have the 285 hp Turbo from the Caliber...then the Avenger would make more power than it's top V6.A Malibu with the Cobalt SS's Turbo 4 would be sweet too.

it's something the competition doesn't offer, except for VW, that could seperate GM from the rest. Just like the classy two tone interiors of the Malibu.

Could the reviewers and or GM be splitting hairs over the fact that the Passat 4 is turbo only and that the 'Bu will be the first 4 cyl NA with a 6 speed auto? I am not saying it is correct, but .....

The CanadianDriver review also calls it the first :

"For now all four-cylinder models are backed by a four-speed automatic transmission, but in the early Spring, LTZ models will get a new six-speed automatic transmission - the only four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination in a mid-size sedan. Six-cylinder models also use a six-speed transmission. "

Could the reviewers and or GM be splitting hairs over the fact that the Passat 4 is turbo only and that the 'Bu will be the first 4 cyl NA with a 6 speed auto? I am not saying it is correct, but .....

The CanadianDriver review also calls it the first :

"For now all four-cylinder models are backed by a four-speed automatic transmission, but in the early Spring, LTZ models will get a new six-speed automatic transmission - the only four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination in a mid-size sedan. Six-cylinder models also use a six-speed transmission. "

the malibu isn't really considered in the same class as Passat. Pricing wise Passat starts at the mid of Malibu pricing. Passat is like VW's Impala, if the Impala weren't built to straddle two classes.

• 2 weeks later...