Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Battery Life?

daves87rs

Usually being the techish guy, I like to make sure things get done....

Before the little bundle of joy gets here in late spring/early summer, I am planning to get a bunch of work/updates on her car so there should (I said should) be any surprises afterward (at least for a good while)

She still has the Delco in her car, which will be five years in the spring.

Should I think about reaplacing it before then? It's been good so far....

If it was my car, I would just wait until it dies......

But when you have a baby in there, that is not a surprise that you want............

What do you guys think? Wait a while? Just do it?

The problem is the way modern batteries are designed- there is no longer a warning 'slow-down', where you get the idea the battery is no longer up-to-snuff. Instead, for what reason I have not learned, they perform like Day 1 until Day Last, when they die instantly & without warning.

I drove my '94 everyday on the factory battery. One day in the summer of 2001 I drove to work without incident, but 2 hours later when I went out to drive off, it was stone dead (no- no lights or any other accessories left on- it basically has none to speak of). It's a real shortcoming, IMO. I've heard this scenario repeated by others many times- seems the average life is right close to 7 years.

I would bet on 1 more year with your battery, but then I would start to think about it if you are particularly worried about getting stranded.

Truthfully, and not saying this as a parts guy who is here to sell a part, or throw out a company's name. 5 years is typical for most batteries. I will admit that GM and Ford tend to put the best batteries in their vehicles from the factory, because most of the batteries we sell at work are for imports and DCX products. I would go ahead and replace it if it were me. Five years is plenty long for a battery and like you said, and like balth said, they aren't going to give you a warning, they're just going to konk out on you.

Truthfully, and not saying this as a parts guy who is here to sell a part, or throw out a company's name. 5 years is typical for most batteries. I will admit that GM and Ford tend to put the best batteries in their vehicles from the factory, because most of the batteries we sell at work are for imports and DCX products. I would go ahead and replace it if it were me. Five years is plenty long for a battery and like you said, and like balth said, they aren't going to give you a warning, they're just going to konk out on you.

Yeah, that sounds good.....

Might even give me a chance to upgrade the battery...

Diehard, Maybe?

Got to keep the Wifie safe..... :yes:

The battery in the BMW lasted 7 years, and when it was about the die, it was slow to crank. It looked really nice, too -- shiiny iPod white.

The battery in the Odyssey crapped out without warning in a parking lot at night after just 4 years. Even the power door locks wouldn't work.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the capacity of the alternator, the quality of the battery, etc..

That was my exact experience with the battery in my '99 Odyssey except I was stranded during the day. Lasted 4 years - no warning that the battery was going bad. The dealer-installed replacement went bad a year later - no cost to me. The battery in my new '01 BMW lasted less than a year. Always wondered if it had something to do with trying to jump the Odyssey. Now wondering when the Mopar battery in my '05 Jeep will go. I'd be happy with 5 years.

The battery in the BMW lasted 7 years, and when it was about the die, it was slow to crank. It looked really nice, too -- shiiny iPod white.

The battery in the Odyssey crapped out without warning in a parking lot at night after just 4 years. Even the power door locks wouldn't work.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the capacity of the alternator, the quality of the battery, etc..

The original battery in my GC lasted about 4 1/2 years and died with no warning. One afternoon, click, no start. I replaced the original with a Diehard. The Diehard in my '87 Mustang is now over 8 years old, but I start that car every two weeks, keep it on a trickle charge, and drive it maybe 500 miles a year.

DieHard builds a pretty good battery, so does CarQuest, AutoZone and Advance Auto, most NAPA batteries are pretty fair too. I'd shy away from Interstate batteries simply because they seem to be pretty shoddily constructed. Any of those would be a good recommendation for you.

I've heard the same thing about interstate...

The Neon had a NAPA....those seem to be hit or miss...

I wonder who makes Autozone and Advance batteries....

Really and truly unless you're running a killer sound system or you are subjecting your vehicle to massive vibrations and jolts from jumping it off stumps and the like, then an Optima battery is pretty much overkill for any "stock" vehicle.

True, and one wouldn't want to spend 130 bucks on one either...