Toyota false advertising?

mustang84

The 2008 4Runner is falsely advertised and marketed by toyota’s own sales literature, press releases and dealer websites as having an active headrest safety system as standard equipment. Regardless of trim level none of the 2008 4Runners have this feature. I discovered this after being the victim of a rear end collision with injuries. It's a shame I had to learn the hard way about toyota’s current business practices and inability to timely address a critical customer concern. It has been over three weeks with no resolution from toyota or the distributor, southeast toyota. It is not acceptable to spend over 38k on a vehicle and learn by being involved in an accident that it’s not equipped as advertised. Sadly toyota’s and southeast toyota’s awful customer service and lack of concern negate any positives about the 4Runner not to mention souring the relationship with my family and I who have owned over a dozen toyotas. Have any other 2008 4Runner owners realized this yet and feel short changed?

Well yeah, after the accident I took the back off the upper seat back, next I took the 4Runner to the dealer so it could be investigated and three days later toyota's techline called the dealer back to inform me that none of the 2008 4Runners will have this active headrest system regardless of what the sales brochures and press releases indicate. For three weeks I have been blown off by toyota and southeast toyota. The dealership's owner can't even get anywhere with them.

The active headrest safety system is not in the seat and there are not any provisions to mount any of the mechanics of it.

toyotaheadrestcb1.jpg

My intention is to make other people aware of what toyota has done and how they are blowing off a customer who spent roughly 35k on a car that's not as advertised. This quote by toyota spokesman Bill Kwong demonstrates intent to deceive potential customers.

Toyotaspokesman Bill Kwong said its 2008 vehicles have active headrests, which move closer to the backs of a motorist's head in rear-end crashes. Kwong said it provides a "great level of safety for the customer in the real world."

Here is a link for the full atricle written 11/15/07.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...estCarList.aspx

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222643

well, they do put disclaimers in the brochures saying they can change specs and equipment anytime, however, this is a really dumb move by hoyotha.

Yeah but bring forth a class action lawsuit to a jury of the plaintiff's peers and what do you think the result will be?

Even so not making it available on ANY model yet advertising it as standard on ALL models sounds like complete crap.

Had a friend that was goning to buy a Tundra. He didn't because he said the ads at the dealer showed options that weren't available and the sales people were stretching the truth. Look at the Tundra commercials, if that's not false or misleading advertising, I don't know what is.

Should have gotten a Highlander. The only Toyotas with "good" head restraints are the Tundra and Highlander.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraint...nts.aspx?toyota

Cars with "good" head restraint performance:

Acura: MDX, RDX

Audi: A3, A4, A6

BMW: X3, X5

Buick: None

Cadillac: None

Chevrolet: Cobalt

Chrysler: None

Dodge: None

Ford: Edge, Five Hundred, Freestyle, Taurus

GMC: None